Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Teflon coating?

A friend of ours is looking at a new Montana, dealer wants to throw-in a teflon coating so it never needs waxing again.
Anyone ever hear of this and can explain it's advantages and disadvantages? Cost has to be high!
My idea would be to wax the rig once a year, and pocket the price on purchase.

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Have heard of it before, and have also heard of dealers that take the money and don't put a thing on the RV. No way to tell if they do it or not. I agree with you, wax the rig once a year and pocket the price on purchase. Good luck with whatever you do.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, Back in 1988 we bought a Ford Bronco II and had a MING job done to it. It was a coating that lasted the three months we had the vehicle, until it was stolen in Tucson, AZ. The coating was great, just rinse it off and it looked like new. NOW, fast forward to now, I would imagine something similar is on the market these days, just don't know if I would trust an RV dealer to apply it. I would need a stong warranty to back it up, plus a list of dealers to get any type of service done on it. Also not sure how it would pertain to the fantastic graphics they are putting on these now......Probably for the cost you could have it washed and waxed for several years and many more if you do it yourself.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Steve & Patti,
We opted to have the 'Teflon' done at the dealership. They used Xzilon that has a 5 year warranty including the interior fabric. I have used Permaplate on a few delivery cars that are outside all of the time. I have not done it for our car and truck that are in the garage. There is no doubt that care is somewhat easier.

It's expensive but I had the dealer include it in our cost which probably reduced the credit we would have otherwise received. No question that if you are willing to wax, you'll be $ ahead. This is our 2nd Montana and I have had it done on both. I really don't want to wax it....guess I'm just lazy!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
jim mccaskill

M.O.C. #10635
Steve & Patti
I have the coating done to my 2009 and this being the 2nd summer it is standing up well. I think the coating has worn on the nose of the 5th wheel, but dealer says no. It is extremely easy to remove any black marks and washes up with ease. It comes with a 5 year warrantee & I paid just over $ 700.00 & I have a 36' with 4 slides. I do like it, but I would not spent the money on it again.
jim mccaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Teflon coating huh, sounds like a slick way to get your money.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote