Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Please recommend a good cover for 5th wheel

My new Montana 3820FK with full body paint will be arriving in the next few weeks or so, and I want to get a really good soft cover to protect the paint job, since there are no covered places to store the 5th wheel that have available spaces near North Lake Tahoe. I was told I should get one that is really soft on the inside, and that will last 5+ years on the outside. What cover would provide this type of protection from sun and snow etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Mine is from Classic Accessories. It's a PermaPro Extra Tall for 41' 5th wheel. All weather protection, UV protection, air vents, etc. It is HEAVY to haul up the ladder. I used the storage bag like a backpack. The slightest breeze will frustrate your efforts trying to cover your RV. You will never get it fully back into the storage bag.
Be prepared to spend $600 +. All that said, I'm glad I have one.

Big time installation tip: buy a foam noodle [the kind little kids use in the pool], cut it into 3" pieces and slip over every gutter spout. No snags, no rips and helps the cover slide more easily.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
IMHO, I would not recommend any cover for your 5'er. A lot of them rub the paint off and do more damage then they are worth. The covers are also heavy and you have to lift them up on the roof and spread them out which can be rather dangerous.

These campers are built to be out in the weather. I have had mine in all types of weather from the northern Rockies to the upper Midwest and it still looks great. Just my humble opinion as there are many folks who like them.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm with Scott and Sue. Even though our unit is now under cover in the Montana Home, our old unit sat outside the whole time in Nebraska springs, summers, fall and winters and we had no problems with it at all in respects to fading or peeling of the decals. I did give it a good coat of wax twice a year but aside from that it stood outside in all the weather that we have here and withstood it all with no problems. I've heard of to many owners that have put covers on theirs and regretted it because of the cover rubbing and also moisture collecting under it between the cover and the unit and causing mold. If I didn't have the building to keep mine in, I'd still be storing it outside in the elements. If you want some ideas on what all I did to protect it from critters and the tires drop me a line and I'll be happy to tell you all the things I did while it sat out.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Well the sun damage to things over 6,000 feet just sitting around is brutal. I go thru BBQ covers every year, so I thought half of my 5th wheel will be a different color than the other half, if I do not cover it??? But i appreciate your opinion, and never put a cover on my Sapphire colored Viper, because it would scratch it in a heartbeat? I'm hoping that a really soft cover will protect the $10k full body paint job???
Old 07-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If a cover will damage your Viper won't a cover damage the paint on your Montana?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before we went full time we made the decision, based on what we saw happening to others, that even a high dollar cover did more damage than leaving the rig in the open. Of course the Kansas wind played a big part in the damage others experienced.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
From my experience...no cover if the best cover....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our opinion, covers are a no go.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I have that works great is one of the all steel let's say car ports. It's 6 feet longer than my Montana and 16 feet wide. Protects great and allows full excess to my camper and I can leave the slide outs open.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Full body paint is better than gel coat as far as protection goes. Covers are a royal PITA.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #12
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Guess I'm alone.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No there are others, but remember, the folks who store their rigs are out camping this weekend. Should be more folks along tomorrow.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Look, I know a cover scratches my dark colored Viper, but that is because up close this is a very expensive deep colored paint job. A gel Coat painted RV, does not have that deep mirror type look, where you can see the small scratches. I'm thinking the fading from sun damage is more obvious on an RV, than the scratches that might be caused from a good cover? If I don't end up covering it, then I better find a good wax shop, because I'm not going to wax this beast 4-5 times per year, because I leave it out in the sun light all of the time? :-)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
You will find people on both sides who are passionate about their choice. You need to do what is right for you. Consider this: there are people who park their car outside every day and if it is waxed twice a year the finish stays nice. I have covered cars before and it is a PITA, especially if freshly waxed. A cover for a rig like yours is heavy and bulky. Again do what is right for you!
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have used Adco covers and found that the damage is to the cover not the RV in most cases. I agree that they are difficult to put on but not impossible. I tie a rope to the rear of the cover and lay it out in front of the Monty. I then pull it up onto the roof with assistance from my wife on the ground. This eliminates the effort of lifting the entire bag onto the roof at one time. I would only install it in the fall after I winterized and left it in place until the first trip in the spring. I would leave it off during the summer months when I used it 2 - 3 times a month.

I will be going full time in September so the cover goes into storage with a limited amount of personal items until we see how long we want to continue the adventure.!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #17
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
May I do a pleasant "bump" and resurrect this thread? We have a 2013 Montana 3750FL and have never covered it. This year, we resealed every opening on the roof because the Southern California sun is brutal. We are considering buying a cover for it, but it appears many folks don't like covers. Are most of you still in favor of no cover? Or is there a cover that works well? I will always have a partner, or 2, to help with the installation and removal.
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2BchMtnMrsh View Post
May I do a pleasant "bump" and resurrect this thread? We have a 2013 Montana 3750FL and have never covered it. This year, we resealed every opening on the roof because the Southern California sun is brutal. We are considering buying a cover for it, but it appears many folks don't like covers. Are most of you still in favor of no cover? Or is there a cover that works well? I will always have a partner, or 2, to help with the installation and removal.
Under roof is great but I've not had one available. My 5ers (and previous TTs) have always stayed out in the coaster SE NC sun and salt air. Roof inspections are required no matter how stored. A cover will never be form fitted and will rub in a breeze and chafe more in a wind. More humidity collects inside but mostly I stay away from covers as the damage to the outside finish.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #19
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I had a cover for mine and never used it because of recommendations here. I was wondering how to get that big thing up on the roof anyway. LOL
They only fit in the box one time and get big fast. LOL
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #20
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
I highly recommend NOT using an RV cover!

I bought a really soft (expensive) RV cover and decided not to put it on my new 5'er last fall. Instead, I gave it to my brother who purchased a new 2019 35' Cougar and he installed it (good fit). A couple of days ago, he pulled the cover off only to discover the front corners of his front cap has painted rubbed off in places. He front Cap is painted black on the corners and there was friction rubs and scratches everywhere on the front cap corners and edges - needs to be repainted. I know for a fact his cover was installed correctly and was not overly loose. We have sent a letter / email (with paint damage pictures) to the manufacturer and have heard nothing back yet.

The cover fabric was one of the more expensive and lightest on the market, yet it still damaged the paint on the front cap corners. Soft cover or not, when the wind blows the fabric is coming in and out of contact with the paint surface. As dirt and particulates get trapped into the fabric, the cover begins to act like fine grit sand paper constantly rubbing the painted surface.

It's not a matter of if an RV cover will damage surfaces on an RV, its just a matter of when and where it will happen.