Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
The difference between "fresh water" and "city water" connections

Hello all. On my new to me 2014 343RL there is a fresh water and city water connection. I was unable to find any reference in the very generic manuals I received. Can someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of each? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water hookups.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	3010  

Back2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
ChasManDo
Established Member

M.O.C. #22591
City water is used when you are at a place that supplies water for you through the use of a faucet. Hook hose from faucet to city water inlet and you'll have water when needed. Fresh water is used to fill up the water holding tank when you are going somewhere that doesn't provide water. You will need to use the internal pump in the rv to pump the water through the trailer.
ChasManDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
The fresh water connection goes directly to the fresh water tank. The city water goes right to the camper.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
OK thanks for both answers but still not completely clear. I have been using the city water connection, connected to shore water. When I select the "Tank Fill Power Fresh" valve from "normal flow" to "fill", while connected to the city water connection, I am able to fill the water tank so I don't understand the need to disconnect and use the other connection to fill the tank. Does the fresh water connection just fill it faster? If I use the freshwater connection to fill the tank do I still use the tank fill valve or is it unnecessary? Thx
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
How about a pic showing the entire inconvenience center. I think some may have been cut off at the top
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Just looked at your picture again. Is the top one labeled above as well or just the two labels in between? On my 17 345 rl the top is for winterizing,middle is water and, bottom black tank flush. They may have mislabeled.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Here's a picture of the whole convenience center
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	convenience center.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	3011  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Fresh water and city water connections are one in the same. You can fill the tank if you are going somewhere you won't have water hookup while on fill. Or turn to normal to just run off your hose.

The other hookups are for black tank flush and winterize
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrash1 View Post
Just looked at your picture again. Is the top one labeled above as well or just the two labels in between? On my 17 345 rl the top is for winterizing,middle is water and, bottom black tank flush. They may have mislabeled.

Just the two labels in between. There is another connection below the city water which has a warning label regarding black tank flush, so I have three connections, fresh water, city water, and flush. ?? There is also a "winterize" valve
Old 01-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotter key View Post
Fresh water and city water connections are one in the same. You can fill the tank if you are going somewhere you won't have water hookup while on fill. Or turn to normal to just run off your hose.

The other hookups are for black tank flush and winterize

So you're saying these are the connections, in this order top to bottom:

Winterize
Fresh water/city water
Flush
?

On my previous RV (motorhome), there was a way to suck pink antifreeze into the system using the water pump, is that what the top connection is for? And if yes, I then assume one attaches a hose, sticks it in the antifreeze bottle, and switches the winterize valve to winterize?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
In that order - yes

I know the labels are misleading but the fresh water and fill are the same connection
Old 01-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotter key View Post
In that order - yes

I know the labels are misleading but the fresh water and fill are the same connection

OK thanks. And is the winterization usage as I described, a port to suck in antifreeze using the pump and winterize valve?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
yes thats right
Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Sheesh, been RVing off and on for 40 years and here I am staring at the convenience center scratching my head

Thanks all for clearing this up
Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Your convenience center looks identical to mine except I do not have the "Fresh Water Connection" label; you probably paid extra for it.

You have correctly figured it out.

Note when using the winterizing connection. Several of us have had troubles getting it to draw anti-freeze. I found the problem to be the seal between the connection port and the intake hose; used double washers.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #16
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Your convenience center looks identical to mine except I do not have the "Fresh Water Connection" label; you probably paid extra for it.

You have correctly figured it out.

Note when using the winterizing connection. Several of us have had troubles getting it to draw anti-freeze. I found the problem to be the seal between the connection port and the intake hose; used double washers.
Re the label, mighta been extra but the original owner had to bear that burden . Keystone labeling cracks me up, the other one I like is the "scare" lights. Going to be a pretty timid bad guy scared by a couple tail-light bulbs mounted on the side of an RV. Plus, how bout curb/street separate switches for those scary lights like my previous 15 year old motorhome had? Sheesh

I'll bear in mind the winterization connection, although unlikely I'll use it as I'm full-timing.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #17
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The photos look like our convenience center. Photo is of the rear of ours and the drawing is a line drawing of the plumbing looking at the rear of the center. It would be really nice if they put out a manual that was at least Montana specific instead of a generic one for every model Keystone makes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	convenience center plumbing.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	3015   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing schematic.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	3016  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
cmccuan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20195
The reason this is working for you without the benefit of your pump is because it is under pressure from city water.,
cmccuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
R&JCovington
Established Member

M.O.C. #20943
I feel for you trying to figure it out. I bought mine used, hooked my hose up to the top connection thinking it was city water. When my tank got full water started gushing out of my rear water fill port. I called Keystone with the problem and they said I had a bad water pump. I replace the water pump and the problem continued. It was only then that I figured out I was simply hooked up to the flesh instead of the city water connection. So now I have a spare water pump and not even Keystone was able to help me figure out that the problem was simple. If you haven't figured it out completely I would be glad to talk to you on the phone about it. Email me at roycrn@gmail.com if you need to figure it out further.
Roy
R&JCovington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #20
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
Power fill switch

The "Tank Fill Power Fresh" valve controls flow from City water connection direct to inside plumbing bypassing the water tank (Normal position) or in the down position allows you to fill the water tank (Fill) where you would then turn on your pump to get water. Many folks who RV at parks with water available seldom fill their tanks just so they don't have to flush the whole tank periodically to refill with fresh water.