Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Memory Foam Mattress Toppers

I'm considering adding a memory foam mattress topper to the sofa bed, (it has the regular mattress, not the inflatable mattress), but am concerned about if it will fold up ok. Have any of you added a mattress topper to your sofa bed? How thick was it and were there any issues in doing so? Thanks.

onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It will fold up with a topper a little tight but no problem. Let me make another suggestion, natural latex foam. It is dense heavy but soft so it supports you far better than any other foam. It's soft so you don't get pressure points. It's far far better than any petro based foam. I have a peice on my fold out and sleep on a latex foam mattress.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
We use a topper on the sofa bed but keep it in the basement. A hassle I guess but it has worked out ok.

BTW...we use a typical bottom sheet as a bottom sheet but the DW took the top sheet and added elastic on the bottom corners. The top sheet is easy to put on the sofa bed and topper.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 AM   #4
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I have a blow up mattress that fit the sofa bed. It easy to use and store. It is a camping style mattress so it is a little tougher. I leave the mattress that comes with the sofa in place and put the blow up on top.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have decided to abandon using the sofa bed and use a tall air mattress instead. When inflated its 18" tall. We can use it in the rig and at the stick home when there. Use it in the den for exter bed. I am thinking of replacing the sofa as the cushions like the slid down when someone sits on it. They are Velcroed on the lower flap but not on the cushions?
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Kathy and Brian-- We must have the older sofa sleeper in our unit because we have the blow-up mattress in ours. I've slept on it(no I didn't get kicked out or the bedroom) and it is quite comfortable. Once blown up it is as solid as a regular mattress and when deflated it goes back into the folded out couch with no problem. If yours came with the typical hide-a-bed mattress, I'd replace it with a blow up one that either has the self contained inflator or one that you get the inflator with separately. Ours came with the separate inflator and works quite well. We have slept on one of the blowup mattresses that stands about 18" tall and they are quite comfy also. They store easily in the closet or the drawer under the sofa sleeper also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Thanks folks. The current fold up mattress is really not bad. In fact, to me it's more comfortable than the blow up type. I especially like that the bed is made up and folded up with the sheets and blankets already on it and ready to use. I just would like it to be a little more comfortable. We had blow up mattresses in our other RV sofas and to me they are a pain in the you know what compared to just throwing the covers back up over the mattress and folding it up - out of sight, out of mind and ready to go for next time.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Kathy, We use a two inch foam topper on ours. As mlh stated it will fold up but is pretty tight. We leave it on when traveling and have guest,(grandkids), using the couch. Once home we take it off and store in the s&b. Jim
Old 05-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

Kathy, We use a two inch foam topper on ours. As mlh stated it will fold up but is pretty tight. We leave it on when traveling and have guest,(grandkids), using the couch. Once home we take it off and store in the s&b. Jim
Thanks, Jim. We might just try a 2".