Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the V tailgate.The OEM tailgate is a obstacle to hitching and unhitching as we would need to lower the tailgate to hitch. With the tail gate down we must back into the hitch perfectly straight or we will hit the truck and there is not much room between the tailgate and truck when the gate is down. With the "V" we just back through the V. Things will blow out of the truck bed OEM tailgate or not if not properly secured. We use the bed cover to keep the hitch dry when not hooked up. We have never had anything taken from the truck bed in over 20 years of camping..but.....it can happen.
Everything is personal choice and your way is correct.

Rich is old, fat and lazy so convenience and keep it simple are my bible.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #22
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I leave my TG on and as others have mentioned, I use the rear VIEW MIRROR and check for any unopened items in the bed of the TV. I did like the V gate for the convience of not ever having to worry about " is it down " I think it is a preferance to each person, what they like to do.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #23
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
Use a $150 flow through V gate from CW. Helps with fuel mileage and makes parallel parking much easier win a long bed pick up.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #24
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
V-gate.Works well for me.I have hit the stock gate on other trucks.
RichR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #25
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I did not notice any change in the milage on my TV with or without. I think its a fallacy, I did notice thing seem to fly out of the bed of the truck a lot easier, so securing you stuff is inportant.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I did not notice any change in the mileage on my TV with or without. I think its a fallacy, I did notice thing seem to fly out of the bed of the truck a lot easier, so securing you stuff is important.
You are a wise, (and somewhat frightening) individual
Mythbusters did a segment on it. The Myth was busted. Makes no difference.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #27
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Currently I have the stock tailgate in place, always on the prowl on Craigslist to see if someone has one for sale cheap!!!

Also, if I leave it up and pull away and take out the tailgate it will give the wife something to comment about for the next year or so...
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #28
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Ours stays on! We unfold the cover and our stuff is somewhat secure underneath it. It’s just part of the method I go through; lower the tailgate, hook up and then raise the tailgate. Not saying that anything wouldn’t ever happen but it’s just like starting the vehicle. Put the key in and turn it.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I used to run the "V 5th wheel gate" during the summer while towing with my Chevy. I have since bought a new truck and it has the rear camera on it so no more "V" gate for me. I would not be without the camera when I am not towing.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #30
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
You may want to check local laws, In Michigan I believe it is against the law to operate a pick-up with out a tail gate.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #31
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
Actually Studebaker did a study back in the '50s and determined there was no difference in mileage. I leave mine on, it keeps things contained and if I'm not packing my genny I use a tonneau cover to secure things.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #32
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Stock tailgate with tonneau cover. Keeps everything clean and dry.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #33
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Stock tailgate. Looking at a tonneau cover today. Any suggestions? 2011 Highcountry 323 RL. See ya at the fall rally.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #34
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We have a V tailgate. I like the convenience of not having to drop and raise the tailgate to hook/unhook. One thing that I don't like about our V gate is that the latches require more work to be sure they are completely latched. The design is supposed to allow one push unlatching and "automatic" latching.I found that if I pull on each side of the gate after closing that sometimes one side is not hard latched. Since I don't often open the tailgate this is not a problem, but the first time I noticed the incomplete latching I was surprised. The other minor aggravation is that the painted surfaces show a little rust at the weld points. Nothing serious.

If I had to do it over again, I'd still opt for the V tailgate. I'm on a continual quest to reduce steps and time to hook and unhook and the V gate is part of that quest.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #35
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have used both and have owned two V-Notch tailgates. I much prefer the V-Notch. The first V-Notch was all metal by Huskey. The second was a Huskey all Aluminum, the Aluminum V-Notch was by far the best.

At the time I'm using the OEM tailgate, however I just ordered Hauler Bed for the 2011 Chevy 3500HD, but DW decided she doesn't like the Black interior so have ordered a 2012 Chevy 3500HD and had to re-order the Hauler bed due to a change in paint code by GM. The Hauler bed will be the same color as the Chevy 3500HD.

For what its worth I would have a Huskey Aluminum V-Notch if I wasn't going with the Hauler Bed. But I never haul anything in my pickup bed except a over the rail tool box and a Trailer Saver air ride hitch. Its a myth about better fuel mileage without a tail gate and the V-Notch make no difference in fuel mileage either. Good Luck with your choice.

P.S. With the Aluminum tail gate, it want rust and you want have to repaint. And it looks awesome on most Trucks...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #36
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I just get all worn out raising and lowering my tailgate; I hate exercise and it is so heavy. Sometimes, I can't remember whether it is up or down because I have no hookup routine and most of the time I don't pay attention to what I'm doing because it is only a safety issue.

Taking a perfectly good functioning factory tailgate off so others can rummage through my gear which I leave in the bed sounds like a good idea....maybe they could steal one of those flat tires I carry there too. I don't care to hide things under a tonneau bed cover, besides, I'll get better gas mileage with the tailgate off; don't care what Mythbusters says. Besides, I have more money than I know where to spend...so an expensive V-Gate is a smart investment.

NOT!!!!

The original question is a good one; my replies above are not thought out and can be extremely dangerous!

We use the stock tailgate and a tonneau cover.

We've setup 252 times, taken down 251 without damaging a tailgate a rail or any personal injury.

The best advice I can give you is to keep your tailgate, use your brain and your routine.

People who don't have an ability to think for themselves scare me......the lazy inattentive ones scare me more.

As fulltimers we've seen them all more than once....in fact there's one right over there, DON"T LOOK!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #37
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
mine stays on. yes over the years i've damaged it--when i thought the trailer was connected to the hitch, but i'd rather have that damaged than the whole front of the trailer drop on my box and damage everything.
we keep things in the back at times so we need the tailgate.
like everyone else, i have (most of the time) a specific routine when connecting/disconnecting.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #38
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Original tailgate and tonneau cover; and wouldn't be without them!!
Why would I leave part of the truck at home?? LOL
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #39
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Original tailgate and tonneau cover; and wouldn't be without them!!
Why would I leave part of the truck at home?? LOL
...because the color doesn't match the rest of your truck?
...you already ran the king pin through it?
...you have stuff in the bed you want someone to steal?
...you think you might want to haul pigs and they don't like to be kept in the dark?
...you can't lift the old heavy tailgate?
...you like the way the V-gate makes your truck look hickish?
...your neighbor has one, and you want to keep up?
...you want to kill the fuel-economy myth?
...you own a Ford and it's just unnecessary weight?
...you decided to take the John Deere sticker off and paint an International Harvester billboard back there?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

Currently I have the stock tailgate in place, always on the prowl on Craigslist to see if someone has one for sale cheap!!!

Also, if I leave it up and pull away and take out the tailgate it will give the wife something to comment about for the next year or so...
Ed I sent you a PM