Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Adding a few shelves

I'd like to add a few shelves in my camper under the desk. We have the hickory edition 3150RL.

Does anyone happen to know what species of wood is used inside the 3150RL.

THANKS....

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Hickory. If you ask Keystone you should be able to get the name of the woodwork manufacturer. Then contact them, tell them you're a MOC member and maybe they will send you some matching stain. They gave some of us stain at the Fall Rally in Goshen last year.

Good luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I tried to get stain for my cabinets but was told that they will can not mail any to Canada.Not sure if that would apply in the US but could be worth a try.
By the way it took 4 phone calls to reach someone who knew what I needed and than I was told that they could not release the name of the stain or the code and they could not mail a can to me.
I mixed my own and came pretty close I used Minwax.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I know its the Hickory Edition, but I thought that just meant they used Hickory stain on everything.

I have a piece of hickory wood that someone gave me and its as hard as nails, and very heavy.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Hickory is very hard and heavy. Yes, the wood in the Hickory Edition is hickory (I was a woodworking major in college and I taught woodworking for many years). I didn't consider shipping the stain but it sounds like you've got it handled.

Good travels.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I wanted to fix a scratch and was told I couldn't get any stain by my dealer who said they asked and it's not available. My next call will be to Keystone to try. Good luck, if I get a reponse from Keystone, I'll post it.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I have added 8 shelves to my unit. The Mountaineer 324RLQ has some very weird cabinetry consisting of triangular cabinets, another strange shaped one in the Galley Island, and at least some straight ones in the useless "coat hanging" cabinet. So, I used some very good plywood for the weird shapes and Red Oak planks for the straight shelves. I used Min-wax Early American #23 stain followed by Min-wax Poly Fast Dry in Satin, about 5 coats. The supports are standard Home Depot shelf brackets. The photo is one of the odd shaped linen closet ones. The light spot in the photo is the flash rebounding off the half round. It was as close a match as I could find and really, it's just a shelf and inside a cabinet with stuff sitting on it, it looks to be a very close match.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote