Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
need help planning trip

We are traveling from Tampa (west coast of FL) to CT. We usually take I-4 to I-95 to I-84 with a car. But we can't use New Jersey TPK hauling the monty. We want to avoid as many steep hills as possible. Can anyone give us a good route in the northern states to avoid problems? We are taking about 3 weeks to get there so a longer route is not a problem and we don't care if we have to take I-75 and travel inland from the coast. Thanks

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You can tow your trailer on the NJ GSP.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
You can tow on the NJ Turnpike.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

We are traveling from Tampa (west coast of FL) to CT. We usually take I-4 to I-95 to I-84 with a car. But we can't use New Jersey TPK hauling the Monty. I have hauled Monty on NJ TPK. Just pick the time of day for least traffic. We want to avoid as many steep hills as possible. I75, I77, I81 will all give you more hills than I95. Can anyone give us a good route in the northern states to avoid problems? We are taking about 3 weeks to get there so a longer route is not a problem and we don't care if we have to take I-75 and travel inland from the coast. Thanks
I81 out of Harrisburg to Scranton and I84 will keep you out of NJ TPK and most of the NYC traffic but you will have hills to pull and longer driving of around 75 miles.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Not sure of your definition of steep hills. I have driven I81 from I77 to Scranton, Pa with no major problems but have slowed down to 45 mph on a few hills. I am not trying to race up them so I keep the RPMs around 2K instead of full 3K.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We live in upstate NY. We would avoid 95 and head inland on 81 and other routes. Going to Florida in late Dec. on 95, we sat at 5mph for 5 hours. Two hours twice and one hour once. On the way home April 4th, we had 1 1/2 hours worth of delays just after Jacksonville. After that, we went 26 to 77 to 81 and never came close to a traffic tie up.

That's our second year in a row that happened to us.

We call 95 the "never again" road.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I-95 and some of I-75 is snow bird lane. Certain times of the year the RV's out number the 18 wheelers. Just be careful because some of those snow birds are dangerous. We got behind a van pulling a travel trailer and he had blocked two lanes of traffic at 50 mph because he didn't have a sway bar and the trailer was like a dogs wagging tail. You had to time to pass when the trailer was in your lane and gun it so his trailer wouldn't come back and hit ours. The Florida Highway Patrol came to everyone's rescue when they got him off the road. Of course his version was probably the mean old Troopers had no reason to stop him.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
You Can Take I-75 North to I-10 East I-295 North to I-95 North in Jacksonville, FL

Follow I-95 North to US 17 in Fredricksburg, VA then take US 17 (you go thru a little truck bypass - the route is well marked)to I-66 to I-81 in VA

Once you reach PA, Take I-78 East, to I-287 North to I-87 North to I-84 East into CT --

We just took this way home from Bushnell, FL 2 weeks ago and had a very nice trip - The only thing we did was continue on I-87 North to I-90 (Mass Turnpike) It added about 40 miles to our trip, but no traffic.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Joanie and Dave,
I don't think that your Dodge Cummins will have any problems making the climb on any of the hills using the inland routes unless you know that you have a problem with it. Keep it throttled down and the RPM's up when climbing and you should have no problems with overheating.

Take a look at I-4E to I-95N to I-26N to I-77N to I-81N to I-84E

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #9
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I am laughing because it is me that wants to avoid hills! I am a white knuckle passenger on hills. Years ago as a school bus driver I had an incident with a steep icy hill. I had just dropped off a load of kids and as I returned down the hill the temperature had dropped in the light rain and turned the hill into black ice. The bus slowly turned sideways and I slipped down the hill and would have wiped out anyone coming my way...thankfully the road was empty!! It finally stopped on a level area (we called them "thank you Ma'ams). Needless to say I have traumatic driving stress disorder from it!! I think we will be able to come up with a good route with all these suggestions. Once again my MOC family came thru!! thanks all....Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
The good folks on MOC were a great help to me when this past December we traveled a similar route. Took I95 down and I can see why this has become the "never again route." Coming back we took the I95 to I26 to I77 to I81 to I84 route and it was an enjoyable cruise with nary a single traffic tie up. This will now be our preferred route.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote