Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Patience not four letter words.

The shower door got shattered on our Monty and I replaced it temporarily with plexiglass. Now I want to put matching glass back into the door. When I put the plexiglass in, the guy came out and did it on the spot, so he didn't take the door frame out, just the frame around the glass.

This time the door needed to be removed and taken to the shop to put the tempered glass in. There are about 12-14 screws to be removed, two of them on the threshold. When the door was installed, the installer twisted the self-tapping screw into, but left the screw in the hole.

When I start to remove it, the top half came out, but the frame was still held fast by the rest of the screw. There was no way to get to it, so I decided to drill it out. The bit snapped and I was worse off than before. Of course everything was below the surface. Can't get to it with pliers. After consultation, I decided to drive the bit and screw through, then had second thoughts. Called the dealer service manager. "No don't do that. It is 3/8" molded plastic."

I had managed to slip a putty knife between the shower and the frame on each side of the screw. Then I slipped a thicker putty knife on each side. Got a hack saw blade and it, too, slipped between the frame and the molded shower tub. I slowly and carefully sawed the screw into. The only damage was a 3/16" X 1/2" rub mark on the shower where the hacksaw blade rubbed.

The last thing the service manager said to me was, "Stiles, remember, it is patience, not four letter words that you need for this."

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
That sounds like something I would have done!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
NICE JOB!I understand and am short on patience right now. More power to you.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Patience.........reminds me of the cartoon of two buzzards sitting in a dead tree looking out over the desert....just waiting for something to die so they could eat.......one buzzard leans over and says to the other one,"patience my arse, Im goin to kill something"
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
There is not describing the verbiage that could come forth from me in a situation like that. The units on either side of me would be moving out. I'm sure glad you had the patience to finish that job without upsetting the neighborhood. (Yeah! Right! Not a bad word, huh?)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Stiles, glad you got it out. My hunting partner just would have shot it. Makes for much more damage. Guess that's why he doesn't have an RV.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, that is about how most of my jobs go, I do a lot of cussin' and am always mumbling "Why is it always so hard?". There is no such thing as an easy, small job, they seem to always to expand into a major deal.
Glad you got it done...safetly. I keep two band-aids in my little book I carry in my back pocket, and have a supply of butterfly tape stitches, as I cut myself on a regular basis.
The ordeals of a handy man. You are a smart guy, and figured it out.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
You are a better man than I, Stiles.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote