Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
dcpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #8268
Gray water holding tank leak

We have developed a leak in the gray water holding tank on our 2009 Montana 3400 RL. It is very near to the neck where the dumping valve is attatched. There is about a 3/8 inch split. Water shoots out of it when the tank is holding. The unit is no longer under warranty.

We do have an extended service plan, but it has a $200 deductible, so if we need to have someone replace the tank it will cost us at least $200.

Our dealer's service manager suggests getting a much less expensive patch kit and try to repair it myself. Extended service Rep said this will not void their coverage if it doesn't work.

I guess my question is has anyone else had such a problem and tried to fix it? Were you successful and what did you use?

Thanks, Dave

dcpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Eternabond!! They have a kit just for that. You can order it direct. Used it on mine and it worked.
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dcpark

We have developed a leak in the gray water holding tank on our 2009 Montana 3400 RL. It is very near to the neck where the dumping valve is attatched. There is about a 3/8 inch split. Water shoots out of it when the tank is holding. The unit is no longer under warranty.

We do have an extended service plan, but it has a $200 deductible, so if we need to have someone replace the tank it will cost us at least $200.

Our dealer's service manager suggests getting a much less expensive patch kit and try to repair it myself. Extended service Rep said this will not void their coverage if it doesn't work.

I guess my question is has anyone else had such a problem and tried to fix it? Were you successful and what did you use?

Thanks, Dave
$200 is a lot less than $900. I'd tend to go with a replacement tank under your CSP.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
FYI... Our black tank (same tank as the grey tank) was a 800.00 + repair under extended warranty. We had a 50.00 deductable.

If you call the vendor they will tell you how to mix a repair mix Eternabond will also work. You have plenty of choices but I do agree with Orv...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Bob fixed a crack in our tank on our former 2955RL using 5200, which can found at a marine chandlery. It's a 3M product.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We had a leak a almost exactly where you describe and fixed it with a radiator repair kit. Cost was about $17 to $20. You simply mix the two chemicals together and slather over the hole. There is a fiberglass strip that also must be placed over the hole. Everything you need is included in package. Make sure you are ready to work quickly because the stuff sets up very quickly. And even though the patch sets up quickly wait until about 24 hours before you put a full load on it.

It's been about 4 years since we repaired.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just point of reference... Before Christmas we had to order a new black tank. Total for the tank, including shipping, was $137. That was through our Keystone dealer. I would think the gray tank would be similar in cost. Labor is the big cost.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
we had the grey water tank leak on our '03 3255RL. It cost the warranty CO. about $600 and me $100. Ours was split on the bottom of the tank. What caused it, no bottom support. The tank was installed hanging from the flange on top of the tank. I contacted the tank manufacturer and they told me that they direct all RV factories to stap the tanks in place. That supports the bottom. Before we closed up the bottom of the trailer, I added straps to the tanks to relieve the stress on the tank. We tried to do a patch on the crack but that didn't last very long. I might add that the crack was about a foot long. replacement was the only solution.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
last year I used a two part epoxy that comes in a tube like putty. You just cut off what you need. Nead it in your hand to get the two parts to mix and apply it like plumbers putty. It worked even on my tank which was still dripping and in about 15 degree temps. Held it in place for 30 to 60 seconds and then it was done. hard as a rock and no leaks yet.
noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I used what noggs used - it took me a couple of tries to get it right. It lasted a couple of years and just now started leaking again. After the rally trip I'll repair it again - maybe the same stuff, maybe the eternabond fix.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
treb

M.O.C. #6949
what was the name of the 2 part epoxy
treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
The black colored tanks are abs plastic. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, get some cheap, small abs plumbing fittings, abs cleaner, abs cement. Get a file and file the fittings until you get a nice little pile of abs filings. Enough that looks like it'll cover the crack. Rough up the crack area and clean it. To stop the crack from spreading further, drill a small hole at each end of the crack. Mix the abs cement with the filings until you have a glue type consistency and smear it over and into the crack. Let dry. Pretty much a permanent fix. If your tank isn't being properly supported or the fittings are miss aligned and stressing the tank, the tank will crack again, and you'll probably need that extended warranty to replace it. I had a six inch crack on my black tank on my last trailer. It ran from the outflow fitting to six inches away. I tried those tank repair kits sold at rv dealers and online. They only lasted about a year before leaking again and started peeling away. And I sanded and cleaned it before applying. They just don't last. This abs trick did. I was told how to do it by an old time rv repair tech. Works as good as a plastic weld. Lots of luck.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote