Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
California Grapevine

In a previous posting I mentioned a western US trip. I have a specific question in regards to the Grapevine in CA. I will be traveling south from Yosemite to Oxnard. I will be traveling I-99 south which will merge with I-5 south. The merge happens between Mettler and Wheeler Ridge with the Grapevine just south of that. It appears that the two highways split just before the Grapevine and merge again just after the Grapevine.

1...is that true ?
2...if it is true, what is the best way to deal with the Grapevine ?
3...has anyone taken their RV down the Grapevine and how was it ?

Thanks in advance

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Not sure what you are seeing on your map. Maybe the old highway, but if I was going over the Grapevine headed to Oxnard. I would stay on I-5 south to Hwy 126 just north of Santa Clarita. Hwy 126 to Hwy 101 in Ventura, Oxnard just a few miles south. Been this route several times with our 5r. Grapevine is a long 6% grade, so take your time, use gears or exhaust brake and you will be fine.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I-5 over the grapevine is really not a problem. Yes it is a long 6% grade but nothing worse than other stretches of I-5 (Mt. Ashland grade near the southern Oregon border). Thousands of 18-wheelers traverse it each day. Just remember to control your speed coming down and you will survive.

I am not a fan of interstates and I-5 & Hwy-99 are two of my least favorites. If you are pressed for time, they are expedient. Remember the speed limit in CA while towing is 55 (or so). Map programs assume you can travel at max speed and you can't. Consequently they tend to underestimate the travel time But if you have a couple of more hours to spare, and you don't mind driving an extra 50 miles (350 v. 300), I would take a different route.
The route I would take is Hwy-41 to Hwy-46 and then Hwy-101 to Oxnard. Below is a map of this route. These are all good roads (I just drove most of them 2 weeks ago with the RV), scenic and interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOC - Yosemite to Oxnard.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	145  

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Used I-5 over the Grapevine many times with a truck and camper pulling a boat, with my 5th wheel going both ways. Going North you have to watch your down hill speed and going South you can stay in the truck lane if your going to slow with no problems. You will have one other down hill grade before you hit Castaic. Same as the Grape vine watch your down hill speed. You can take Hwy 26 over to Oxnard or continue on the 5 to the 405 than to Hwy 118 to the 23 to 101. Don't go 405 to the 101 to Oxnard to much traffic on the 101
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
J-KB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13875
I agree with Carl n Susan, much better way to go
J-KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Just North of the 99/I-5 split, is State route 166, which comes out just North of Santa Maria...good road but not much in the way of services until New Guyama (sp).
2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote