Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Sterling State Park - Monroe, Michigan

The campground here is new. It's located just off Interstate 75 at exit 15, on a spit of land on the western edge of Lake Erie. Toledo is about 30 minutes away, Detroit maybe an hour.

The sites are spacious, navigations is easy, and 50 Amp service is available. There are few trees - and the ones that are there are small. If the wind is from the east, this is a breezy place. For those who want to know, there are a couple power plants wihtin a few miles, including the Enrico Fermi nuclear plant.

We stayed here mostly because of the park's proximity to Toledo, where we were visiting relatives. So, we didn't spend a lot of time actually in the CG. For us, it'll be an overnight park rather than a destination. I'd give it a positive grade and we'll be staying there again. Reservations can be made on the Michigan DNR web site.

Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the post. I do like to know where the nuke plants are. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Gordonr they also have full hook ups for $23.00 per night witch is a really good deal compaired to some of the other campgrounds in the area, the KOA in Petersburg Mi. just 20 minutes away charged a buddy of mine $54.00 for one night with NO HOOK_UPS. The state parks in Ohio are also very clean and have large sites, Maumee Bay State Park is very nice and is near the lake, the park is on the lake just not the campground like at Sterling S/P.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Thanks Glass Guy. I did forget to mention the full hookups at Sterling. Sorry 'bout that. Are the sites at Maumee Bay big enough for you? I wasn't sure, so we pressed on to Sterling. (Also not sure if you can make reservations at Ohio SPs. Can you?) I graduated from High School in Toledo - but way out on west side. Dont have much experience with Maumee Bay. It would be closer though, since my mom lives in a retirement place in Perrysburg. I have looked at the Stoney Ridge KOA and don't think I could make it in there.
Gordon
Old 09-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Gordonr I don't think there are any sites that that we can not fit on, you can reserve sites in Ohio state parks the web site is. www.ohio.reserveworld.com. the only problem with Maumee Bay is the I-280 bridge construction.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Gordonr wwat high school, I went to Woodward and the wife went to Whitmer both of use graduated in the mid 70's
Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Ahhh.... mere spring chickens... I graduated from Rogers in 63. Carol in 65. I have a cousin who lives just east of you in Temperance and a brother, mom and step-mom who live in Toledo.
The bridge work wouldn't be much of a problem for us since we'd be coming from the south. I think we'll give Maumee Bay a try. We're only a foot or so longer than you, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll check the web site and see how late in the year they're open. It'll probably be a month or two before we get back up there.
Gordon