Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
greenenergy

M.O.C. #9857
Ford diesel Trucks verses GMC diesel Trucks

I have been asking old timers, RV veterans and everyone I can find about their preferences and benefits between these 2 trucks.

Many tell me the GMC 2500 and 3500 trucks are quieter than the Ford 250 and 350's---- and the Allison trans in GMC is preferred by many.

Appreciatate any feedback and advice in buying a new or used Diesel truck to tow a 37 foot Montana. I realize a 1 ton truck is better.

Rod

greenenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Well all i can tell you is that, i have owned 3 F350 Fords and 1 F250. I loved everone, but the last one had the 6.0 engine and i had problems, but i now think or hope Ford has fixed the problems,,,,,but i did change to the Chev.3500 ,and i love it also, so i really dont think none of the big 3 are bad , so test drive them all and take your pick,,
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I personally have driven all three from the big 3, really perfer the Cummins Dodge to the others for power and performance, but select what YOU like, don't ask, that will start the brand debate.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In recent head to head comparisons the Ford tends to comes out on top for providing the most capability (towing and payload, etc.) Chevy/GM usually has the best ride and handling, however with the new Fords, the turning radius has improved dramatically so this may change. Dodge often wins the "best-liked" engine (hmmm, I thought GM/Chevy had a pretty good offering), however they lose points to the others in payload, towing and usability. With Ford "constantly" changing their engine (they claim for the better, but when will it stop?) that could make many potential buyers nervous.

Other recent developments for Ford are the accessories they have recently provide out-the-door such as bed extender, integrated bed step, integrated brake controller and stuff like that. It seems like GM/Chevy wants to follow suit but I haven't seen anything from Dodge but I think they are in the worst shape stability-wise. Ford is now upping the features further with their Smart Truck features but only if you can use them, such as an integrated business center, and even more (almost ridiculous) accessories available right out of the gate.

The biggest drawback to Ford is price. Because the Ford seem to be most in demand they don't bargain price as much. No doubt Ford has a terrific truck, but changing their engine every 3-4 years doesn't help keep the price down and certainly make us cautious types worry about reliability.

I have been very fortunate with my Ford Trucks. I have had two F-250s since 2004, both with the 6.0 engine and the new Torqshift Tranny and have had no problems. Other than wishing I had a one ton F-350, I am happy that I have a Ford.

Quality wise, it's a luck of the draw. I think anyone can end up with a problem truck, and decades ago more features for an American product usually meant more problems. But I think this trend is no longer the case.

Current financial conditions are showing that Ford is far ahead but that's for all products and not just trucks. I have read that the new redesigned GM/Chevys are being well received. While GM is starting to straighten out their financial issues they are a much larger company and the truck division is solid in comparison to the rest of their products. I think Dodge will eventually get their problems steadied out, but trucks or not, I think they will continue to struggle. I hope all three continue to come back to ensure good competition and keep the brand loyalists with their option.

In conclusion, Mcgiver2 says it best, "none of the big 3 are bad , so test drive them all and take your pick". Don't forget your list of must-haves, really-wants and be prepared for the I-didn't-know about-thats and you should be able to be very happy with whatever you pick.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
buy what you like .you can,t go wrong with any of them.ford,s make a good looking truck with the two tones.dodge front end looks really sharpe .they look like a sharks head.gm,s ride nice but i think the new style is not as nice as the ford,s and chevy,s they quite making a two tone .bad choice as far as i am concerned.thats just my thought.gm is redigning their truck in 2010 -11.hope they do a better job. i work for gm .i drive a gm but really like them all.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Motor Trend liked the GM trucks the best, but said the Ford was quieter than the GM trucks even quieter than the Toyota inside the truck. The Allison is a great transmision, But the Ford transmision will handle more power without breaking. They are both great trucks. Before I bouught my 08 King Ranch I drove both several times it was a verry verry close race. I settled on the Ford because I liked it a little bit more. Go drive them both several times then pick the one YOU like the best.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The new 6.4L Powerstroke is horribly slower than the Duramax. Fuel economy on the Powerstroke is the worst I've seen in a diesel. The Torqshift tranny hunts for gears off and on and shifts into 5 gear at 45MPH...too early for 5th and ends up lugging the motor on the flat ground.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm not going to get into this debate at all! It is to touchy of a subject and there have been to many of these come up in the past! As far as I'm concerned it is only a "pi--ing" match when it comes to this subject! I'd say get what you feel best about! Drive all of them and decide from there! Don't listen to the salesman because they are only trying to sell you "their" brand of truck anyway! If a salesman will give you one that has a hitch in it or on the back end (which I'm sure he won't), test them out and see which one YOU feel does the better job! If you have any friends that have a 3/4 or 1 ton PU, ask them to hook up a trailer to theirs, drive it and see how they handle! That's the way to really see if you will like them or if you think they do the job for you!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by greenenergy

I have been asking old timers, RV veterans and everyone I can find about their preferences and benefits between these 2 trucks.

Many tell me the GMC 2500 and 3500 trucks are quieter than the Ford 250 and 350's---- and the Allison trans in GMC is preferred by many.

Appreciatate any feedback and advice in buying a new or used Diesel truck to tow a 37 foot Montana. I realize a 1 ton truck is better.

Rod
Everyone will give their opinion that the brand they have is the best. Go with your gut instinct and buy what you can afford. Don't let other's arguments sway you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
There are many Fords, Chevy/GMC's and Mopars out there. It becomes a personal preference. Do buy the biggest truck that you can. These units are heavy and the more truck that you have, the easier that it will have to work. Many of us have bought ours used and get great service from them.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Test drive all of them, including the Dodge (even though you didn't mention it). If possible, drive both the 3/4 ton and 1 ton versions of each. Look at the features that you like the best and go from there. All three brands will do what you need to do, so it comes down to personnal preference.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
If you ask a owner of a Ford they prefer Fords,if you ask a Chevy owner they like Chevy's.There both good trucks that do the job.Oh and by the way,if you ask a Dodge owner, they like Dodges which is also a good truck
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
My preference is: A Ford body and chassis, a Dodge Cummins engine and mega cab, a Chevy Allison transmission and interior good looks. Put all that together and you've it, IMHO.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana Sky.. I know your truck is very new but what you describe does not sound right. All of the new diesels get worse MPG than the earlier models. In fact there is a Ford with the 7.3L pulling a open roads of like size to this 3400 across from us and gets the same MPG. Conversations with drivers of the new diesels indicate that in real life we are all within a couple of MPG of one another pulling like loads.. The Cummins is best and the GM/ Ford are very close. This 08 6.4L pulls this HEAVY 3400 with no problem and plenty of power. It preformed well from the get go.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave sorry to hear this situation with your new Ford. I don't own a Ford and haven't own them. I would take it back to the Dealership and have them put it on the Scope/computer and see if there is a problem. As for the Fuel mileage, that has been a negative with the 6.4. And as for HP I think the Duramax has more HP and Torq than the Fords. To the OP's question the Allison is just about bullet proof. I have owned several Duramax/Allison's and have never had a issue. As a matter of fact you will find most Motor Homes using the Allisons. And I also have a Allison in our Freightliner. As for which Transmission is best, thats everyone opinion. My experience is the Allison is top of the line. I have only owned GM Trucks with the Duramax/Allison and have had no issues and have only had to return to a dealership 5 times or less with all the GM Trucks we have owned. The Duramax/Allison is a proven Combo, and has only had a few changes just to improve on what became available each year. I recomend you spend a lot of time in each of the Big 3 and buy what you think you will be happy with. Our Freightliner has a Mercedes Diesel and it is nowere near as quiet as the Duramax. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 AM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I like Darwin's idea! Do a complete conversion and take what you like from each and put them together to make you happy! Wasn't there a song once about a guy at a Cadillac factory and building his own car at home from parts he snuck out of the factory? I think it was by Johnny Cash if I'm not mistaken!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Here's my very biased opinion:

- Ford...7.3 good engine, made the 6.0 problems, made the 6.4 problems, now making a 6.7 forecast...problems. Trans...unknown.

- Dodge...Cummins one of the best, if not the best, diesel on the road. Trans...unknown.

- Chevy...Duramax, been making them for years and constantly improve them. Trans...Allison no doubt the best on the road.

Bottom line...your truck, your money...get the one you want.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Everybody thinks they bought the best or they would have bought something else. "Best truck" is a fruitless discussion at best. Fear of not getting the best is paralyzing. Just buy the one that strikes your fancy. Any of the big three will get the RV down the road. My preference is the Ford, so I bought one. I ain't gonna be drag racing anyone. A few horse power more or less is immaterial.

I can't imagine how to determine truly if another truck rides any better than my King Ranch. I got enough bells and whistles to start a band. Six months from now, whatever you buy will be a used truck and a new model will come out claiming to be better than before. The whole thing is like a cat chasing his tail. Buy one, feel the temporary pride of ownership of a new truck. Then have fun RVing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
This discussion reminds me of a question I heard the other day in a shooting forum. A guy asked "What is the best 1911?" The answer was short and sweet, "There is not enough beer in the world to positively answer that one."

Tim in Katy
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #20
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
I hope this post does not jinx this thread.

I want to congratulate the MOC members who have participated in this thread. It is so nice to see the many well reasoned and competent replies. I am very impressed with all the very mature posts.

Thank you all for making the MOC what it is.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote