Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
mccarrie7

M.O.C. #7428
leak under Monte

I need to know where to start. The park sewer got plugged and when I drained my black tank it took 1 1/2 days before my lines drained. Since then I have noticed that when I close the grey tank and take a shower then the water pours out from under the Monte, where the black PVC goes up, under the garage by the pulls for the black and grey tanks. I have a 3400RL with Arctic package. I need to find out why the water drains if the grey line pull is open but if closed the water overflows. What's going on? Isn't the water supposed to be inside the pipes? **How do I get to the problem?** Do I try to remove the black lining underneath and cut away the insulation, do I try to go through the garage floor or can I get to it through the shower? I would appreciate anyone's advice before I start to destroy my home.

mccarrie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:mccarrie7 Posted - Sep 24 2007 : 11:30:38 PM
I need to know where to start. The park sewer got plugged and when I drained my black tank it took 1 1/2 days before my lines drained. Since then I have noticed that when I close the grey tank and take a shower then the water pours out from under the Monte, where the black PVC goes up, under the garage by the pulls for the black and grey tanks. I have a 3400RL with Arctic package. I need to find out why the water drains if the grey line pull is open but if closed the water overflows. What's going on? Isn't the water supposed to be inside the pipes? **How do I get to the problem?** Do I try to remove the black lining underneath and cut away the insulation, do I try to go through the garage floor or can I get to it through the shower? I would appreciate anyone's advice before I start to destroy my home.
I don't have a 3400RL, but I think you need to remove the bottom panels so that you can see your Grey tank & valve and look for the leak. From previous threads, it could be the valve, piping or a cracked tank. You didn't mention if your Monty was still under warranty. If it is still under warranty I would definitely take it in and let the dealer handle it.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
mccarrie7,

Sounds like you have the dreaded cracked connector leak. To access the area you need to see and work on you unscrew and take down the bottom covering. Once you have access to the area you can usually see a crack across the top of the connector pipe. Several of us have attempted to fix the problem using a kit to fix plastic radiators. You can pick this kit up from your RV dealer or any local auto parts store. I've fixed mine twice. First time did not use the cloth backing. Second time used the backing and the fix lasted about 6 months. I've noticed that it is leaking again but only when almost completely full. So I dump often and or leave the gray water tank open. It has worked well so far. We will once again fix it when we get to our home base.

Good luck and let us know what you find. Of course, as mentioned, if still under warranty let the dealer fix it.

ON EDIT:
Click on my PictureTrail link in my signature block. Then go down to the album entitled "Shackles and Tank Leak". It will give you an idea of what to look for.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
mccarrie7

M.O.C. #7428
Thanks a bunch! It's so helpful to have a game plan. I'll let you know what I find. thanks again!
Carrie
mccarrie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
I had a leak in the grey tank, on the tank itself, near where the pipe is connected to the tank. The tank would only leak when it was nearly full. My unit is an 05. It was out of warranty, but the extended warranty paid for the repair. The repair was just completed in August by the Dealer. Hope this helps.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote