Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Rear view camera

I looking for a wireless rear view for our 2995rl, anyone have any thoughts on which one I should get?

Stevhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
You might want to look a a Haloview They look like a good camera and monitor. I dont have one but I’ve seen good reviews on them.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
You may want to look at the Furrion observation systems.
We have one from 2015 and it does a good job.

Note: Make sure to get the observation camera and not the backup camera.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
Dancin Goose

M.O.C. #24208
We are getting the Furion Observation camera with side cameras installed today on our 3120 RL. And yes definitely get the observation camera if you go this route.
Dancin Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We just took delivery of a new Montana with Legacy Package which includes the Furrion Vision S system pre-installed. Frankly I was not impressed mostly with the Monitor they are cheaply made have poor resolution (cameras not that great either, the rear camera is wide angle and is distorted. I have the 5" monitor system, I called Furrion to buy a 7" monitor with tax and shipping they wanted near $600 for the monitor alone which is nuts, I can buy a decent new 65" TV for than much with 4K. Granted Furrion is wireless that however is not a big revolation these days.

So after 1 week of driving with it, I would not buy the Furrion, I prefer my mirrors for side view and having a spotter for the blind side backing. However I would invest in a better quality rear view camera and monitor which I may still do and not use the Furrion moving forward. I will probably take it off and sell it.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
When backing I am fine with mirrors and a spotter. I am looking for a rear facing observation camera for driving down the road, I would like to eliminate the blind spot directly behind the trailer.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
We just bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I can't give a personal review on it at the moment, because our unit is at the dealers getting some small warranty work done. The reviews seem to be positive on it, and you can get a mount that matches up to the Furrion mount on the back, but you do have to drill some holes.

I figure if it doesn't work, it's easy to return.

I looked at the HaloView systems also, and they get pretty good reviews too. I went with the one listed above only because it's full HD, and the HaloView system is just HD (720), and it was a little bit more money...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevhop View Post
When backing I am fine with mirrors and a spotter. I am looking for a rear facing observation camera for driving down the road, I would like to eliminate the blind spot directly behind the trailer.
I agree, just note the Furrion Visiona S is so wide angle the horizon is curved and the camera does not provide any depth perception because it is so wide and distorted. It is like rear view mirrors that say:

"things in view may be closer than they look"
Old 10-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

However, I can't give a personal review on it at the moment, because our unit is at the dealers getting some small warranty work done. The reviews seem to be positive on it, and you can get a mount that matches up to the Furrion mount on the back, but you do have to drill some holes.
Having been disappointed in several observation cameras, I am *VERY* interested in your experiences once you get it mounted. My 41' Montana plus a long bed CC pickup puts me right at the limit of wireless systems. I figure there has to be a system out there that works, maybe this one?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Having been disappointed in several observation cameras, I am *VERY* interested in your experiences once you get it mounted. My 41' Montana plus a long bed CC pickup puts me right at the limit of wireless systems. I figure there has to be a system out there that works, maybe this one?
I'll report back when I get it installed. This company makes available, for free, a long range antenna, that I believe that you use on the monitor end. You place it on the roof of your truck, or in the back window, so that the signal doesn't have to travel thru the cab of the truck. I don't have said antenna yet, but I believe that I'm going to get one, just in case...
Old 10-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
I'll report back when I get it installed. This company makes available, for free, a long range antenna, that I believe that you use on the monitor end. You place it on the roof of your truck, or in the back window, so that the signal doesn't have to travel thru the cab of the truck. I don't have said antenna yet, but I believe that I'm going to get one, just in case...
I have rear view cameras in both our cars and the TV. I consider them almost worthless. No thanks Ill do it the old fashion way.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #12
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have rear view cameras in both our cars and the TV. I consider them almost worthless. No thanks Ill do it the old fashion way.
Do you have any vehicles with the 360 view? That will make a believer / user out if you.

Not that any of these systems have the 360 view, but I want one for a piece of mind. My goal is to be able to use it while driving so that you can see behind you for lane changes and stuff like that. Probably still have the wife help with backing, but gives me a second set of eyes...

YMMV
Old 11-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #13
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Ok...I went with a Haloview MC 7108..$246 from Amazon. I will post my thoughts once I install it.

Thanks to all for the input
Old 11-01-2019, 04:20 AM   #14
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Why would a business like Montana install a system like the Furrion camera system like this on their trailers? I don't believe I've seen a good review of them yet. But maybe I'm wrong. Are the any Montana owners who like the Furrion camera system?
I will be shopping for my first Montana when the RV show hits Quartzsite in January and will ask the hot shot salesperson about this.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #15
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:

I figure if it doesn't work, it's easy to return.

I looked at the HaloView systems also, and they get pretty good reviews too. I went with the one listed above only because it's full HD, and the HaloView system is just HD (720), and it was a little bit more money...
Following.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We have the 3791RD which is 40' long and I have a CC F350. Using the Furrion S observation cameras with rear and side view and 7" monitor the video is stunning in daylight. Very good reception. For me, it was well worth the cost.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
My Montana (2019 3120 legacy) came with the Furrion system. I wouldn't buy it. The 5 inch monitor is way too small and the resolution is not very good. The side camera's are almost useless.
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check out rvcams.com
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
We have the 3791RD which is 40' long and I have a CC F350. Using the Furrion S observation cameras with rear and side view and 7" monitor the video is stunning in daylight. Very good reception. For me, it was well worth the cost.
Now I have a much different experience, I have the factory installed Furrion 3 camera system although the 5" screen, I have no issue with the screen size (yes larger wold be nice) however all the furrion monitors are 720p (Non HD) on my 3791RD with F350 CC SB the signal from the rear cam is not smooth at all while driving (very jumpy) Side view is OK but my mirrors provide a better view and perception.

Because the cameras are so wide angle it distorts so the cameras do not provide any depth perception. What little backing I have done I do not use the Furrion at all, while driving I do look at the rear view and do not use the side views.

I really thought the side cameras would be helpful for blind side backing, but not at all.

The thing about Furrion is their products cost 3 times that of others that have better equipment and resolution. This technology is nothing special. I would be just as well off installing a Ring Doorbell on the back with a RV centric wifi network LOL.

My Class A had a in dash monitor as well I could use the screen on the stereo for the rear and side cameras. What I am waiting for is a cam system that can utilize my in dash screens instead of these cheap plastic dash top screens. How hard would it be for one of the cam manufactures to simply provide a module that plugs into the video input of the indash stereo system?

Like I mentioned Furrion wants nearly $600 for the 7: screen alone (no monitors) and it is garbage compared to the others for 1/3 the cost. Last year I installed a off brand 7" on my 48' Boat so I could have rear view while underway and for mooring since I back in. I paid $180 for it and the resolution is amazing and not distorted.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #20
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Like I mentioned Furrion wants nearly $600 for the 7: screen alone (no monitors) and it is garbage compared to the others for 1/3 the cost. Last year I installed a off brand 7" on my 48' Boat so I could have rear view while underway and for mooring since I back in. I paid $180 for it and the resolution is amazing and not distorted.
This right here is the reason that I went with the off branded system. I figured there was no way that the Furrion system was $500 better for the same technology. Probably made in the same Chinese factory at the end of the day!!!