Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Reinforced roof for satellite?

I am looking at installing a Winegard SK-SWM3 TRAV'LER Gray DIRECTV SWM Slimline Antenna. It states in the instructions, "Your RV may be pre- wired or have a reinforced area for this system."

Does anyone know if there is a location on the roof of the Montana that has been reinforced for a satellite?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not that I am aware of, but the roof will hold a person with no problem, so I think you can pretty much put the satellite receiver anywhere you want. Ours is towards the front as are most that I have seen.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We've had two Monty's and two satellite dishes. Both installed and used with no problems.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Thanks for the comebacks guys.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Agree, and my dealer has reinforced, roof can handle
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
If you want to add a little more rigidity to the area where you mount the Traveler there is a base plate available.
Base Plate
I used one of theses the second time around and I think it adds a little more strength to the Traveler mounting. I guess you could say it adds more anchor area to combat wind drag.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

If you want to add a little more rigidity to the area where you mount the Traveler there is a base plate available.
Base Plate
I used one of theses the second time around and I think it adds a little more strength to the Traveler mounting. I guess you could say it adds more anchor area to combat wind drag.
Joe
Thanks, that is the plan.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I have a base plate sitting in my garage. After leaving everything with our local dealer to install - he gave the plate back to me when we picked up the Montana. He said it wasn't needed. Didn't bother shipping it back.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
As a backup, I carry a portable dome satellite dish. If I get into heavy trees and the roof mounted cannot connect, I will use the dome. How will the coaxial cable run from the roof mounted Winegard SK-SWM3 TRAV'LER Gray DIRECTV to the living area and bedroom area? I want the ability to hookup my dome as I am now in the water/dump control station.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Ask your dealer/installer to run the RG6 cable from the swm traveler to the convenience center. Then you can locate the splitter and the power inserter in the basement area right behind the convenience center. They can get the feeds to the bedroom and living room here to attach to the splitter. Ask him to label them so you can just disconnect them from the splitter when using the portable dome and connect them with barrel connectors to the feeds from the dome. Pretty easily done.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

Ask your dealer/installer to run the RG6 cable from the swm traveler to the convenience center. Then you can locate the splitter and the power inserter in the basement area right behind the convenience center. They can get the feeds to the bedroom and living room here to attach to the splitter. Ask him to label them so you can just disconnect them from the splitter when using the portable dome and connect them with barrel connectors to the feeds from the dome. Pretty easily done.
Thank you for the info.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
With my Winegard Travel'r installation, my installer had to construct a mount that adapted to the arc (both front to back AND left to right) of the roof. Works great!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We also carry a Winegard Carryout for those instances when the trees are not cooperative. They ran the rooftop cables to connect to the 2 receivers. We can still connect the Carryout to the Sat connector in the convenience center without changing anything other then the SAT type on the DTV Receivers.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Question. Can the coxial cables from the splitter be sent to the Convenience center and hooked up there where the current "Satellite" connectors are located.

I checked with CW on installation, and the first question asked was, "Did you buy it from us?" I said no, then here came the quote for installation at $1,088.61 for installation.

I checked with a private business that works on RV's and they gave me a quote of $95 hour with as estimate of 5-6 hours of installation time. Does this timeframe sound reasonable?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
leemedic wrote:

I checked with CW on installation, and the first question asked was, "Did you buy it from us?" I said no, then here came the quote for installation at $1,088.61 for installation.
Wow trust CW, they sound like my dealer when it comes to charges for something they did not sell.

Our Winguard is mounted about 6 ft forward of the rear AC. On your floor plan it appears that would likely put it right about above your island. Between our kitchen push out and the Ent push out there is a vent for the kitchen sink, that is how they brought the wires into the RV, no holes drilled for the wiring. The gps is fastened to the roof with the rubber sealer stuff and has never moved, the wires are held to the roof in the same manner with about a 4 or 5 ft run to the vent.

It may be that your Satellite might need to be mounted somewhere else on the roof, that happens to he the only space large enough to swing the dish without hitting anything or landing on a vent in the roof on out 3402RL

There is no way I would pay CW that kind of money to mount a dish. Even 5 to 6 hundred dollars seems like a lot. I negotiated the Satellite dish and installation as a condition of my buying the unit.
Seems like I did ok on that.

Make sure they run 2 cables from the dish to one of the TV's in case you want to have a HDPVR hooked up as well. If your dish's LNB is similar to ours you will be able to connect 4 cables.

Good luck with the install.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 AM   #16
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:
leemedic wrote:

Wow trust CW, they sound like my dealer when it comes to charges for something they did not sell.

Our Winguard is mounted about 6 ft forward of the rear AC. On your floor plan it appears that would likely put it right about above your island. Between our kitchen push out and the Ent push out there is a vent for the kitchen sink, that is how they brought the wires into the RV, no holes drilled for the wiring. The gps is fastened to the roof with the rubber sealer stuff and has never moved, the wires are held to the roof in the same manner with about a 4 or 5 ft run to the vent.

It may be that your Satellite might need to be mounted somewhere else on the roof, that happens to he the only space large enough to swing the dish without hitting anything or landing on a vent in the roof on out 3402RL

There is no way I would pay CW that kind of money to mount a dish. Even 5 to 6 hundred dollars seems like a lot. I negotiated the Satellite dish and installation as a condition of my buying the unit.
Seems like I did ok on that.

Make sure they run 2 cables from the dish to one of the TV's in case you want to have a HDPVR hooked up as well. If your dish's LNB is similar to ours you will be able to connect 4 cables.

Good luck with the install.
My understanding is if I go with an Directv HR24 HD DVR I only need one cable to the receiver because the satellite I am install is SWM capable.

Am I wrong in that thought? If I only need one cable, shouldn't I be able to use the connectors in the Convenient Center of my Montana?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic
My understanding is if I go with an Directv HR24 HD DVR I only need one cable to the receiver because the satellite I am install is SWM capable.

Am I wrong in that thought? If I only need one cable, shouldn't I be able to use the connectors in the Convenient Center of my Montana?
Correct. The DirecTV HR24 is a SWM capable receiver (what I use) and you can use the connections in the Convenience Center to connect the antenna to the receiver. I have a 4 output multi-switch in the Convenience Center which "splits" the incoming single wire SWM signal into two outputs. One for the entertainment center and the other goes to the bedroom (where I have a HD receiver too).

The new Satellite wiring in the newer Montanas is perfect for DirecTV SWM usage.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Correct. The DirecTV HR24 is a SWM capable receiver (what I use) and you can use the connections in the Convenience Center to connect the antenna to the receiver. I have a 4 output multi-switch in the Convenience Center which "splits" the incoming single wire SWM signal into two outputs. One for the entertainment center and the other goes to the bedroom (where I have a HD receiver too).

The new Satellite wiring in the newer Montanas is perfect for DirecTV SWM usage.
Thanks a lot. That is great information. I may attempt to install this satellite myself.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:

leemedic wrote:

I was not familiar with that receiver and I think you have your answer to the question.

Good luck again with the install.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I just mounted one of these on our Montana. I ran the cable down to the convenience center by drilling a hole between the tank vents, which are next to each other on the roof, and running the cable down between them. The opening runs through the wall all the way into the basement area. Just had to remove the rear wall in the basement to get to them. Very easy to run them there and hook into the cables that run to both TV's. Made for a very neat and clean install. The whole mounting/installation process took me about 2 hours to complete.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote