Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Dish Network DVR question

I have a Dish Network Dish Player DVR 522. If I do "not" have a contract with Dish Network is there any way that I can hook this unit up to my television and record and play back from on the hard drive with the input from my antenna or the camp grounds cable? Sure would like to use the unit if we ever drop Dish.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
rmayhew
Established Member

M.O.C. #3391
Send a message via Yahoo to rmayhew
If I understand it correctly you must have an active card and subscription with Dish Network to use the unit. I recently got DVR for my home through Dish Network and I am charged an extra fee for DVR capability. Hope this helps.
rmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting question Dick!

I never used the standard antenna input on ours, so not sure how it works. Can you record direct off your antenna input now? If so, it might be possible that you can with no satellite service.

If you want to try an experiment, try disconnecting the cable inputs so you loose satellite connection, and try recording through the regular antenna input.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Interesting question Dick!

I never used the standard antenna input on ours, so not sure how it works. Can you record direct off your antenna input now? If so, it might be possible that you can with no satellite service.

If you want to try an experiment, try disconnecting the cable inputs so you loose satellite connection, and try recording through the regular antenna input.
Brad, I have tried to run the RV antenna directly into the Dish receiver but have not been able to record any thing, or get it to play on the tv thru the Dish antenna. won't work for me. I was just wondering if any one else has tried and succeeded.

I am able to fill up the hard drive on the Dish at home and then put the dish in the RV and play it back on the tv. It wants to find the satellite but as it's not hooked up to the dish it finally gives up.

My thought was to drop the Dish Network and just use the equipment as a DEVO and record various programs from either the rv antenna or the camp ground cable and watch it later and be able to fast forward thru the commercials.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dick,

My RV antenna does work through the Dish Receiver. Make sure it is connected to the jack marked with the antenna, and not the satellite. I did have to go to setup and have it search for the local stations. Not sure what the menu is on your 522 (we have the HD version).

Unfortunately, the RV is in storage, and I don't have a regular antenna here at the house, or I would try it for you. Curious myself.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
I have Direct TV Tivos. I think they'll playback recorded programs and the HD Tivo will display, but not record, OTA signals after I cancel my account (although the phone line and satellite cable should probably be disconnected first). I'm not sure about Dish, but the folks at DBStalk.com (http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay....sprune=60&f=92)should be able to answer the question.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Seems like it would be easier to get a twin DVD/DVDRecorder and run that through
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Dick,

My RV antenna does work through the Dish Receiver. Make sure it is connected to the jack marked with the antenna, and not the satellite. I did have to go to setup and have it search for the local stations. Not sure what the menu is on your 522 (we have the HD version).

Unfortunately, the RV is in storage, and I don't have a regular antenna here at the house, or I would try it for you. Curious myself.
Thanks Brad,
Can I assume that you have it hooked up to a dish antenna and that the unit is activated. Mine is not.

I am using a old DRV510 unit that has been deactivated, and all I want to do is use the hard drive to record and play back with out the commercials. I have the 522 in the stick built but may drop the service when we go full time. Time to get away from the TV and try to remember how to read a book.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks Bill for the URL, I posted my question on the site so will sit back and see what they have to say.

Thanks to all for your postings, it looks like the consensus is that it will not work as I want it to without paying for the Dish service that I do not want. I own the unit and should be able to use it as I want but I guess it's not designed to use it that way.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dick, there are several boxes for your computer that will accept a cable or antenna input and let you pause, record, and play them back. WinTV is one of them that makes internal cards, and I suspect you might be able to find an external unit, maybe by Sony.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote