Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #21
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I have a 2015 hc. It has never been back back to the dealer. I have only found a few minor things that I fixed myself.

tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #22
roothoss1282
Established Member

M.O.C. #18012
I have the 305 RL and had a couple of minor things as well, never had a problem with keystone. I would say 99% of the time its the dealer that is the problem.
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the 2006 Montana and now the 13 3402 Big Sky that transformed into the Legacy package a couple of years ago .

We disagree that the Montana is a full time RV None of these are suited to full time use no matter what the marketing says. These are RECREATIONAL vehicles.

We are long timers and about as close t o a 24/7 365 full timer as one can get.The Montana/Montana legacy have some features that make it better suited for long time use but IMO the HC would suite us just as well as these " Montana's have over the years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #24
DerekG
Established Member

M.O.C. #19706
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We had the 2006 Montana and now the 13 3402 Big Sky that transformed into the Legacy package a couple of years ago .

We disagree that the Montana is a full time RV None of these are suited to full time use no matter what the marketing says. These are RECREATIONAL vehicles.

We are long timers and about as close t o a 24/7 365 full timer as one can get.The Montana/Montana legacy have some features that make it better suited for long time use but IMO the HC would suite us just as well as these " Montana's have over the years.

I agree. I just picked up a new 3810ms legacy and I'm bummed to see that my 2005 challenger is a LOT closer in build style as this. Oh, and in response to the comment about the tv & audio being higher quality......it's complete junk. Junk. We love the 5er but it is certainly NOT a luxury full time rig
DerekG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
DerekG
Established Member

M.O.C. #19706
Correct, the audio system is iRV (trash) and the TV's are insignia 🙄
Old 04-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #26
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Trash Compared to what???? what other brands in Montana's price range use are Jensen and Furrion and they are SOOOOO much better?? Up untill a year or two ago they used Only Sony or Samsung I guess something had to give because now they have nicer stoves/Ranges,Stairs etc.. standard G rated tires than a year or so ago and a 2005 Challenger is close to build style???? did they have 12in frames ??Mor-ryde pin boxes?? Mor-ryde4100 susp?? Corian counter tops?? Beau-flor floors??I could go on for a while if ya think that way you should of stayed with your 2005 cheaper Challenger and saved some cash
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #27
DerekG
Established Member

M.O.C. #19706
The Challenger was 12 years old.....so it's for a comparison of build style (rampant nail gun use for one). Would you like me to take pictures of how my doors are hung, how the trim matches up, the wobbling center kitchen island when anyone over 115lbs walks by? I worked in 12 volt electronics and home theater when I was younger, Jensen is junk & im not even going to entertain a debate about that. Pin box and suspension you say, well that stuff can be bought at any time, Keysone Montana doesn't make that stuff. You want to know how many fender self-tapping screws fell out on my way home....6, and it's the same crap-shot self tapping I'll fitting fender attachment as the old Challemger. Also, after just putting new carpet in my house I've been educated on carpet quality....the carpet in my new 5er is also contractor grade or below. That nice sheet vinyl floor is nice though right?... you know, it's the same cheap sheet vinyl as my 12 yr old 5er.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #28
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Sorry Nope not buying it in my experience , I have had a 2004,2012 and my 2015 Monty and LIVED in all three the newer one is better in every way and I can also give ya pictures of mine and you can see how well mine is put together and has NEVER been back for warranty work just one shelf in the Pantry was not screwed in right and one busted dining chair and the dealer just handed me a new one off the Lot, again just my experience with 3 of them and by the way No Beauflor is not the same cheap Vinyl flooring I had in my 2004 and 2012 that Vinyl flooring ripped like paper compared to the thicker Beauflor
Old 04-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #29
dlowrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #32586
Hi all,
Build Quality Question.
Was about to pull the trigger on a 2022 Montana 3231CK today, a new unit.
On closer inspection a valance was not screwed in, the back splash in the kitchen moves when you press on it, scratched cabinet. In the bedroom on of the walls had visible staples that looked like they had been wiped over with putty, but which filled in the texture imprented on the wall. Exterior rubber seals were not fully seated. Other things that made me feel like this unit was really rushed.

Also saw a 2023 High Country, and came away with an overall better impression of the build quality as compared to the 2022 full Montana.

Did Keystone have quality control issues in 2022?

Thanks your imput.

-Don Lowrey
dlowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:48 PM   #30
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The last post on this thread was seven years ago and there have been some radical things happening in the RV industry, mostly the Covid pandemic, which caused the crazy increase in RV demand and the quality of products coming out of the factories was way less than anything built in the past. It’s possible the 2023 you looked at was built during the recent slowdown and built at a more relaxed pace so assembly was done a bit better than during the big rush.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:10 AM   #31
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
high country = chevrolet
montana = cadillac

my 340bh in my opinion is nice enough and built well enough to live in full time if I chose to do so. also if you step it up on the camper you step up the truck to pull it. extra tires and such.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:31 AM   #32
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
HC vers Montana. Very little difference. Montana is built a bit heaver. Uses hardwood, disc brakes, heavier drop frame, full body paint etc. Pretty much all the same electronics, components, aluminum frame, roof, axles, bla bla bla.

As far as what you saw, most likely the HC was built on a Tuesday and was one of the first units assembled that day. All the techs were awake and paying attention. The Montana may have been assembled on a Friday and one of the last units. The techs got sloppy and wanted to go home.

Sad fact is they have a quota of units to build. The faster they get them built the earlier they can go home.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:00 PM   #33
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I love my High Country. No complaints (now). Don't ask about the first year of ownership though! AND THAT WAS LONG BEFORE THE COVID BUILDS!

Plus, it's been 100% paid in full for 4 years now! No loans!
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:17 PM   #34
1wayhighway
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30465
Well, much of what you described, at least from our new rig and experience from our previous trailer, are not uncommon. Again I am only speaking from our experience. We had a couple black out shades break which were replaced on warranty. Visible staples, the putty smears from filling holes etc. are in our new rig. and the old. Not that I am happy about it but the smears I can clean up, I honestly would prefer they didn't try to fill them. My 2 cents.

Pick the trailer you like for your plans and enjoy it.

2022 3500 GMC Duramax
2022 3121 Montana
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #35
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
There are some differences between the MHC and the Montana. I opted for the MHC for reasons particular to me but went through both models and many other brands.

The basic Montana has bling the MHC doesn't. Some of it people like, some don't. All the bling adds weight - I like functionality. The really nice stuff that the higher end Montanas used to have like real solid surface countertops (Corian etc.), real hardwood trimmings...that kind of stuff has really dropped off. You do get nicer cabinets/hardware. It offers options like full body paint, disc brakes etc. that you don't get with the MHC. - all at steep cost premiums.

When you walk in a regular Montana, Redwood, Solitude, Riverstone etc. vs MHC..they all "feel" like there's a big difference, and there is, in bling as well as some functional aspects. The base, the guts..not so much. Montana is rated for full time living and so is MHC. Montana offers Sailun tires as OE, I put them on mine before delivery. Montana offers disc brakes, I put them on mine after delivery along with an entire upgraded suspension. I did those things and never approached the price difference between the two models.

Build quality is very "variable" on any RV at any price point. The saying of made Monday or Friday is really true, not so much the day of build but the swings in quality on the same model during a week of construction - there is no guarantee of anything - inspect thoroughly.

Sorry for the long post but I've btdt. One of my considerations was gvwr, that may not be a concern for you. I didn't care about cost but I wasn't going to buy a dually. Bling? It's not as flashy as the toppest of the line models...but I saved quite a few thousand dollars allowing some desired upgrades and a few thousand lbs. in gvwr. Liveability? We spend 6 mos. a year in FL in the trailer plus our many other trips. The MHC has no problems with it and full time would be no issue. Biggest thing IMO is to get the floorplan that works for you (thing through on the size) and then decide if you want the bling. Functionality will basically be the same overall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:20 AM   #36
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I believe Montana and HC are closer on the 23 models.

Earlier years had some real structural differences including lack of hydraulic slides, less capable suspension, less capable pin box, lighter frames, less capable tires, less capable brakes and electric vs hydraulic level up.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #37
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
This is good info I’m getting ready to purchase a 2021 3761fl Montana 5th wheel. Moving up from a 2020 29rks cougar keystone 5 th wheel
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:03 PM   #38
RichardMor
Established Member

M.O.C. #33110
James, we are new to this “big” RV lifestyle. Recently purchased a 2014 Mountaineer 375 FLF. Except for the last “F”, seems like the same model - no? Except I don’t see “High Country” anywhere on ours. Does yours have a front living room and 5 slide-outs?

Rich
Central Texas
RichardMor is offline   Reply With Quote