Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Wiring Fault on Trailer

This the first time I have gone on a long trip with this rig combo and I am getting the above warning message popping up on my dash display. I've checked the lights on the truck and trailer and all the lights are working fine; running lights, brakes, signals, etc. I have been getting the warning after I have been driving for 30-60 minutes.
While driving today I was scrolling through the various menu options and one of them said "no trailer connected". Looked in the rear view mirror and there definitely was a trailer in tow. A few minutes later I get the "Wiring Fault n Trailer" message. Went back to the previously mentioned menu and there was the info about my trailer; the brake gain setting, miles towing trailer, etc.
Has anyone else had this problem and know what the issue is and a solution. Sounds like a faulty connection somewhere in the truck wiring harness. I have the truck plugged into the outlet in the box. May try hooking the trailer to the outlet located below the bumper but the brush is in the way so it will be tricky.

Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
You may have a loose wire in the box outlet. I would also try the bumper one to see if it stops. at least it will narrow problem down. Ussally the factory connections are pretty reliable.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have not had the problem, but have read about it. Posted findings have ranged from water in the connector/wiring, loose/bad connector pins, connector not plugged completely in, etc.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Think I've also read that a bad connection of the wires on the trailer brakes can throw that code/message. Worth checking the connections.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I've had 2 problems over the years that caused that message. one was a bare wire where it entered the axel to go to the other side wheel. The 2nd was a loose where on the brake drum.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Charli, 90% of the time that I get that message, it's the brake wires inside the brake drum on the right rear axle. The brake magnet arm floats, and bounces up and down on a rough road. That arm will wear ( or sever ) the insulation of the brake wire leading to the magnet. Also slide the spring clips that mount the brake wires to the magnet arm and look closely to see if the insulation is worn there.
The second place that I have found is the electrical plug on the truck. That plug on my "05 F-350 is 2 parts. take it apart and see if there is water/corrosion inside it.I have replaced that plug once.
I hope that this helps, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Thanks for the info. We have been on the move every day but tomorrow we pull into Tucson for a month so will have a chance to take a look at the hookup in the box. For tomorrow's trip I'll try the outlet below the bumper although I think I'll have to remove the brush to get access or give the brush a haircut. I'm thinking it's the brakes cause I've been getting some inconsistent brake action. Sometimes fine, sometimes trailer bouncing under hard braking. Thought it was the gain and have been fiddling with it but perhaps it's more serious than that.
Anyone know a good repair facility in Tucson?
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
If a quick visual check doesn't confirm the problem, maybe the CG will know of a reliable mobile tech?!! Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote