Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Send a message via Yahoo to electryc_monk
Getting at the drain pipes

Our 2000/1 Monty has the "Arctic package" and well, when it warms up here (North Tx) and I have spare time - I'll be tearing into (read disassembling) the belly insulation. After that then I'll be trying to figure out what is wrong with the Grey/Black water drain pipes as to how come that last run the grey water would fill up the drianpipeeven with the valve *supposedly* closed... I'm betting that the long arm is just bent enough and the valve isn't seating just right so its a fast seaping.

Anyone have suggestions on how much belly removal would be wise and how long it might take Just to gain access to the pipes?

electryc_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Monk,
You do have to take off several feet of the protective layers of stuff. Just start unscrewing. Then you may have to cut the protective layers to actually get to the plumbing. When you put it back together some folks have been using duct tape of some kind of super strong tape. We also used fender washers when we reinstalled the screws. They just give a lot more support around the screw area.

Many of us have installed an additional"gate" valve at the very end of the plumbing run. This keeps you nice and dry when you open the valve to attach the sewer hose to the trailer plumbing. We also have installed a clear see through section of plumbing. This lets you see when the black tank is completely cleared out.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you. By the way there are tons of discussions on this issue here on the Forum.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Hamrad, thanks for the reassuring comments and even the details...(Sheepish grin) I had hoped there would be other threads too but, I ran out of time and needed a (thumbtacked) note to see what if any suggested words for searchs or graciously given links etal. (Sigh) maybe I'll squeeze some blood*time* out of a turnip (shepishgrin)

-posted between clients- from blackberry....
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
here is the question of the day. are you shutting off the galley grey tank also? you do not mention it in your post.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Monk, is it the galley grey tank causing the problem? How much water? If it's maybe a cupful, then you're not alone. That seems to be "normal" with many Montana models, including all three of ours. I suspect the problem is a low point that doesn't get drained. Bouncing down the road shakes it out of the low spot and it ends up against the dump cap. Remove the cap and it comes out.

I don't know for sure where the problem is but we "solved" it by adding a clip on gate valve at the dump cap. Now I can remove the cap, connect the sewer hose, and THEN pull that gate valve. An additional benefit is when not connected to sewer I can close that gate valve, open both grey tank valves, and they will share capacity. Since we fill up one more quickly than the other this extends our time before dumping. It also adds the volume of the dump pipes to the grey tank capacities.

If yours if really filling the dump pipe then all the above are pretty much irrelevant.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
@ Hamrad & Racerjoe & sreigle the dump mouth which the grey and blk water tanks empty through will fill with over 10 gallons of grey-ish water mix from the kitchen and the sink/shower in the course of a day when were where out --13y/o, 11 y/o, 5 y/o and 2 y/o plus my better-half and me. Now the two pre(ish) teens are the mega H2O users(game over I know but, this is how I figured out theres an issue).

There are two T-handles with black and grey labels on them and the blk appears to totally seal but, not 100% sure. The grey one seemed to seal on tests but, upon use of kitchen sink or shower or bath sink the main drain tube mouth will quickly fill up with upwards of 5+ gallons quickly when the kitchen sink is used.

Sorry if this is confusing, I've tried to be edit conscious before posting from here(home).

I was unaware of more then one greywater tank? The Galley grey tank???

When the issue surfaced last fall I was thinking to self -"I've gotta figure out about the insulation to solve this problem; and while I'm at it I want to put in some redundancy protection and add a creature comfort tidbit or two along the way.

1.) The clear-lexon "drain tube section" (when I get an RV after college)has been in my mind ever since seeing the clear glass drain pipes in the chemistry bldg on campus.
2.) The "Gate valve" as a last stage so no surprises await you upon removal of the cab for the flexi-drain pipe (rolls eyes) is also a "wanted to install in the winter/spring" too althought admittedly *IT* wasn't named on the wish list it was just in the mind.
3.) I had also thought of maybe making a "access panel" A-la my day's in the Navy when I used to fly in H-3's and H-60's (gotta love a access door on a huge section of aircraft skin to do your pre-flight).
4.) I sure other things will slide in here as time permits. right?

I do plan on heavy datamining via search soo. I gotta admit that I am a faster learner from a few pictures then a book of data.... I'm a visual learner. That's my style I'm best at.... Now I'm not knocking all the text out there... I know I can sift with the best of them(i'll humbly assume) and get some good nuggets; unfortunately when I was a single guy in college I could afford to loose a couple extra hours of sleep one night for research and be fine.... now-adays my better-half can't really fall asleep until I'm in bed... so me(the productive night owl) has to figure out how to be multiplicatively productive during the daylight hours when she and the boy's(who are supposed to be home schooling) are up and doing stuff too. Wish *that* was a class in college!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
There should be two gray tanks,one for the bath and a second for the galley. Do you have a moniter that shows the levels of black,grey and galley? if so you have two gray tanks, look around your curbside wheel well opening or further back along the frame. you should find a third handle. Unless it has broken off for some reason. They do not put that handle near the other two,don't know why..

Edit: I told you to check wrong side, check the same side as your other handles. Sorry
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
@racerjoe yes it has a monitor for levels but, (scratches head) not sure right this second *if* there are two grey water levels I know their is a blk and maybe fresh?

Hmmmm, didn't remember seeing anything in the paperwork about the *galley* valve "T handle" [begin edit]but, "Son-of-a-gun! There was a threaded rod minus "T" right bewteen the tires directly under the slide-outs piston! it INDEED was out and i did push-pull it a few times then placed it in the "closed" position for now.

Now. when it warms up abit and i get some time, I WILL be testing the flow controls of "Both" grey tanks and the Black water tank before and after the suggested and personally liked ideas listed above. [/end edit for now]

-*was*posted via *crackberry* from daycare/preschool parkinglot before I go home

[edited to update partially]
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
That galley tank handle is a well-kept secret. If your galley tank's valve was open (or partially open) that water's simply going through to the cap. If there's still a problem, one trick to find out which one is leaking is to put some food coloring in some water and put it down one drain, then see what color is leaking.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
well one good thing. you will not have to start tearing apart the underbelly. I also do not remember being told where that third valve was, but it was labeled on the outside
Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
(fingers crossed) Here's hoping so Joe... I sorta glanced at the monitor panel and there seemed to be a black,grey, galley, white, and test "button" on the right side of the panel... not 100% sure as it was a halfhearted /no-flashlight dim glance.....(sigh) after the snow dissapears this weekend I'll be looking for sure.... LOL
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I also had that problem when we received or 06, 3000RK. Montana suggested fix was to add another dump valve which works fine now and also use the clear seethrough spacer
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote