Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 AM   #1
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Water Heater

I have an 08 3000RK and was quite suprised to find the electric switch outside at the water heater. Has any moved this switch to inside?, if so I would like to find out how it was done and maybe some pictures. Looks like it would be a good winter project

waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I installed a switch with a light just below my system monitor unit.

As the next picture will show my Power Center is directly below, making fishing the wires an easy job (I just ran a loop from the breaker).

While I was there I relocated my thermostat ( the "Master Craftsmen" had installed it underneath the cupboard, and over the counter top next to a light, you can imagine how poorly it worked with no air flow possible, and a direct heat source nearby), the hole that was made for the original installation is now covered by the Wine Plaque left of the switch.

I also put a hinged cover over the slide switch, so it won't be "Accidentally" activated by someone reaching for the light switch (I still need to paint the cover).

Since I was relocating, and installing wires I added a new switch to control the bathroom lights that can be used INSIDE the bathroom (I know this must seem like a NOVELTY to keystone).

Just some easy fixes...
JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Waldo238,

The answer to your question: Yes. Several folks have installed a switch on the inside. And at least one of them posted some pics. If you have not done a "search" you might try that and see if you can find the topic.

And someone will probably be along shortly to share some specific info with you regarding your question.

Good luck.

RVWheels

On edit: Look at that! Even before my post hit the system someone has given you some good info. RVW
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Very impressive work JP!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Agreed - very nice.

We have a 3400, so I put the same lighted switch as JP's in the cabinet that houses our water heater. I just cut the romex and wired in the switch, just below the counter. Very convenient. Oh, and we keep the outside 110v switch in the "On" position.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
What switch are we talking about here. THe Hot Water Heater? What is this switch controlling?
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The switch is found under the outside cover for the water heater. Lower left hand corner. It controls whether or not the electric element is turned on or off. Your gas switch for your hot water heater is inside, next to your water pump switch.

You can have either one or both on for faster recovery time. Both are not really needed in most cases - my experience.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Thank you for the clarification. I now know what switch was being referred to. Someone told me that having the electric one on when on a site with electricity keeps the water hot all the time without the noise or usage of your LP. The only think I heard was if you do not have water in then the electric element will burn out. Don't know if all of this is true but it makes sense.
Moving the switch into the interior makes sense especially if you like to turn it off when not in use. Is it an easy job?
Bob

What would I need to do to have that connection at the panel in side? Maybe someones posted the mod on their site or here.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
As you stated the "element" may burn out with out water in the tank, burn baby burn! I made that mistake with my last trailer and forgot that it was in bypass mode on the first trip of the year, kept wondering why I had no hot water?? It most definitely burned up the element and it was a to get in there to replace it!
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bob, the switch in question comes with a small hair pin through it when off so it can't be accidentally switched on. I took a piece of electrical tape and taped it to the floor of the heater compartment. The rig will come winterized and the entire system will need flushing. We didn't flush ours till we got south of Illinois because of freezing temps. I know the anti-freeze is non toxic but if not thoroughly flushed it makes coffee taste terrible. That was the time I remembered that during the PDI the tech had mentioned the switch and pin. The old rig had both switches on the control panel and it did get turned on a couple times when I didn't want it on. I like it the way it is... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote