Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #41
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Might be true of private campgrounds but I don’t think Federal Government campgrounds care unless you have a large group fighting for change
Federal campgrounds are paid for by we, the taxpayers. There is no profit incentive to enlarge them, and getting additional funding to expand existing campgrounds, especially from this administration, flat out isn't going to happen.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #42
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Find the money and it will happen, no problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Find the money and it will happen, no problem.
Lynwood
The money is there, it’s called taxes. The issue is prioritizing some of that money toward RV park upgrades instead of something else.

Organized groups of citizens impact how the government spends our money every day. It’s just a matter of getting in front of the right people.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #44
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The government should increase prices to self fund improvements and not use any tax dollars. Or even sell the rights to run the campgrounds - private industry is more capable to run them well. Many of our state and federal facilities are run by concessionaires and done well.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #45
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Our federal government can’t afford to keep up out National Parks the interstates bridges other roads. We are going in debt another trillion dollars this year. When the park service wonted to raise entrance fees people screamed bloody murder. We as a group are the very people who can afford to pay more but almost all of us get in our National Parks for half price. I don’t see young families with $70,000 trucks and $80,000 campers. They are the ones that need a break not us.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #46
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
The government should increase prices to self fund improvements and not use any tax dollars. Or even sell the rights to run the campgrounds - private industry is more capable to run them well. Many of our state and federal facilities are run by concessionaires and done well.
I’m fine with any of those options
Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #47
Travelin’ Gran
Established Member

M.O.C. #22014
Take a look through this list of RV clubs at the link below. Perhaps send a note to each of them? You might find something that already exists, or try the AARP. They advocate for all sorts of things those over 40 are interested in. The Parks system is a matter of pride so that might “spark” someone or group to action.

https://www.rv-camping.org/rv-clubs/
Travelin’ Gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #48
mleeder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20360
Large RV Sites

What I find is that State campgrounds could be managed better.
1. It is 1st come first serve where you pick your site. It irks me when I see a small trailer using. 60-80 pull through.

2. You want reserve a site for longer than 2-3 days and find out that all weekends are reserved for the whole season.

Just some of my pet peeves.
mleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #49
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin’ Gran View Post
Take a look through this list of RV clubs at the link below. Perhaps send a note to each of them? You might find something that already exists, or try the AARP. They advocate for all sorts of things those over 40 are interested in. The Parks system is a matter of pride so that might “spark” someone or group to action.

https://www.rv-camping.org/rv-clubs/
Thanks for the link.

Again, I don't want anything to do with AARP for reasons I won't state here as they get into politics!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleeder View Post
What I find is that State campgrounds could be managed better.
1. It is 1st come first serve where you pick your site. It irks me when I see a small trailer using. 60-80 pull through.

2. You want reserve a site for longer than 2-3 days and find out that all weekends are reserved for the whole season.

Just some of my pet peeves.
Totally agree with you. In this day and age it should be easy for the park services to detect when someone is abusing the reservation system but people are still able to do it. I know exactly how they do it but have gotten in trouble before for describing the method (even though I haven't used it myself).
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #51
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I don't know, maybe I'm wired wrong, but I just don't feel entitled to a spot for my extra long RV. Often I have laughed about the shortest trailer being in the longest spot, but it does not upset me. Everybody, regardless of vehicle size, has their own wants and needs for a site. Wether it's room, privacy, view, shade, access to facilities or whatever, you have the right to pick what serves you best. I have also noticed that often the smaller rigs end up with the most people around them come the weekend. Why should you give up your nice sight for me just because I bought an over sized RV? I don't know how to persuade smaller rigs to keep to smaller spots other than charging significantly more (and by that I mean 25 or30 dollars more a nite) for the larger site. I can imagine the can of worms that would open up! I'm a big fan of the State, Federal, or COE parks having 25 or 30% of their spaces first come first serve and a 2 week limit. Again, let's push for new or renovated parks to accommodate bigger RVs and encourage camp hosts to push for removing useless barriers which impede access at the existing parks
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm wired wrong, but I just don't feel entitled to a spot for my extra long RV. Often I have laughed about the shortest trailer being in the longest spot, but it does not upset me. Everybody, regardless of vehicle size, has their own wants and needs for a site. Wether it's room, privacy, view, shade, access to facilities or whatever, you have the right to pick what serves you best. I have also noticed that often the smaller rigs end up with the most people around them come the weekend. Why should you give up your nice sight for me just because I bought an over sized RV? I don't know how to persuade smaller rigs to keep to smaller spots other than charging significantly more (and by that I mean 25 or30 dollars more a nite) for the larger site. I can imagine the can of worms that would open up! I'm a big fan of the State, Federal, or COE parks having 25 or 30% of their spaces first come first serve and a 2 week limit. Again, let's push for new or renovated parks to accommodate bigger RVs and encourage camp hosts to push for removing useless barriers which impede access at the existing parks
I can appreciate that viewpoint BUT it doesn't take into account that a LOT of the current parks have only a very few 50amp long sites but dozens of smaller sites. A small camper taking up one of the larger sites is infringing on big rig owners (who also pay taxes) rights to use the park. I get it that everyone wants that prime site that sits right on the water but if there are only 10 big rig friendly sites in a 200 site park should a popup camper really be allowed to take up one of them?? Granted 80% of campers are in smaller units but that doesn't mean they should be taking up the very small % of big rig sites. That is the main issue, not ALL sites are useable by ALL campers.

I do agree that if we organize, the primary focus should be to get the parks to improve to accommodate anyone at any site (IE: 50amp at 100% of the sites and all sites long enough for the longest rigs). Likewise a big push to get the government tree huggers to relent and cut trees that impose serious access issues for the longer rigs. I love shade but many locations have trees that really do need to be cut.

There are a lot of government RV parks that were built decades ago and even moderately sized rigs have difficulty accessing them. Some of them need a total revamping for sure. And in some cases actually removing some of the sites is warranted ( Buffalo Point on the Buffalo National River is a PRIME example of that)!! In many cases, building a new park outside or adjacent to the current park would be a better idea and less expensive alternative.