Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The crime rate among CC holders in very, very, very low.We need to think about why that is.IMO every single person who purchases a firearm should go through the same checking procedure.However the NRA would have a fit as their gun dealer and manufacturers that support them may lose a few bucks. It is to easy for most anyone to purchase a firearm.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #42
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
X2
My favorite saying.
I went to a movie in a movie theater yesterday. A posted sign said NO F I r e a r m s .
I felt uncomfortable during the whole movie as I was forced to be unarmed. Talk about a target rich environment! All I could think about was the poor souls in Aurora.
I think I will be renting movies from now on and enjoying the relative safety of my home.
Banning weapons in a movie theatre.... Only the honest law abiding citizens comply with that policy... Bad guys, not so much...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #43
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
All opinions are welcome here and I for one,believe weapon safety and related discussions DO belong on the MOC site since so many of our members travel and use their RV while possessing weapons. For some it's a way of life.
I have enjoyed the thread and have learned a few things along the way. Hopefully others have as we'll.
I value your opinion whether I agree with it or not. It makes me a better person to consider all points of view. It's my understanding that the moderators are the only ones here that get to decide what is and what is not appropriate for the MOC forum. JMHO.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Is it really necessary to actually carry a concealed (or other) lethal weapon 99.999% of your waking moments for that .001% of the time when you may feel threatened by someone who may or may not be armed and who may or may not use the weapon? I just don't understand the thought process behind this mindset. Human nature is not a fully stable state under some conditions and I personally feel threatened by someone carrying a weapon all the time for "personal protection"! Please don't get offended by my comments folks but there is another side to this controversial subject and while with this post I have just contributed to the discussion, I don't think the MOC forum is the place for gun discussions.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #44
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
X2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

What I post here is not political or ment to be. It is not about changing this to a gun forum. It is to inform those that have an interest.
It is not intended to relate to what someone else did or didn't do. And YES it does serve a purpose. It is only to remind those of us that choose to carry what a responsibility we have as most of us know.
If you do not agree with what we do, that is fine.
If you don't like reading Guns & Ammo don't buy the book.

As the forum heading says

Sitting around the Campfire
A great place to Chit Chat Drop in here and discuss the many things that have NOTHING to do with RV's/RVing.
thanks for your point of view
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #45
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Is it really necessary to actually carry a concealed (or other) lethal weapon 99.999% of your waking moments for that .001% of the time when you may feel threatened by someone who may or may not be armed and who may or may not use the weapon? I just don't understand the thought process behind this mindset. Human nature is not a fully stable state under some conditions and I personally feel threatened by someone carrying a weapon all the time for "personal protection"! Please don't get offended by my comments folks but there is another side to this controversial subject and while with this post I have just contributed to the discussion, I don't think the MOC forum is the place for gun discussions.
I agree! And as soon as I can figure out when that .001% will be, I'm going to stop carrying the other 99.999% of the time. Unfortunately, as events have proven, there is no way to predict what the future may hold no matter where you might be or what you might be doing.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #46
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Quote:
quote:I agree! And as soon as I can figure out when that .001% will be, I'm going to stop carrying the other 99.999% of the time. Unfortunately, as events have proven, there is no way to predict what the future may hold no matter where you might be or what you might be doing.
X2
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #47
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
This is an excellent thread...glad the mods have let it run.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #48
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
". Law abiding citizens can become as scary as the thugs when they have guns that outmatch my local LE officers', AND have no idea of what they REALLY have their hands on. Sorry folks, but we have some real, yuppie, Rambo fantasy, "needy-ego" folks carrying out there. Sometimes these folks scare me!"

In the spirit of keeping the discussion real, did you ever see a person carrying concealed display their weapon?

I didn't think so.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #49
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Guns have been a legal part of our culture since its founding...that has not changed. What HAS changed is our culture IMHO
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #50
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ski Doo

". Law abiding citizens can become as scary as the thugs when they have guns that outmatch my local LE officers', AND have no idea of what they REALLY have their hands on. Sorry folks, but we have some real, yuppie, Rambo fantasy, "needy-ego" folks carrying out there. Sometimes these folks scare me!"

In the spirit of keeping the discussion real, did you ever see a person carrying concealed display their weapon?

I didn't think so.
Your point?
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know I always have my CC maybe not on me but close by ,like in the truck. Since we work at Disney and firearms are not allowed I removed the weapon from the truck law abiding guy that I am. I forgot to put in back and today we were out doing chores.Walmart, Pilot truck stop and few other places here in Central Florida.When at the truck stop I realized we did not have our weapon on board and I suddenly felt very uncomfortable.Never had that happen before as the weapon is aways there.It was a interesting experience for me.Tom I like the .001 % of the time post.Sort of like truck insurance ..never used it..why do I have it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #52
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

I didn't think so.
Your point?
My point is that the Rambo/ego references don't reflect any permitted folks that I've met. IMHO people who maintain a permit, training, range time etc. are not likely to be out in the "hood" flashing their Roscoe.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #53
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
To knowingly display your weapon is "brandishing" and a punishable offense. Legally carrying your concealed weapon with a concealed permit is strictly a self preservation measure for law abiding citizens. Using it is a last resort when absolutely no other option exists. Using your weapon includes displaying, not just firing. I do have a permit. I don't belong to the NRA.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #54
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
i'm not talking about "out in the hood flashing their roscoe"
im talking about the number of young, inexperienced, never hunted, and again, needy-egoed people i see at the range. ....
and saw in class getting CC certifications.
I do not want to be where they are WTSHTF!
The entire cross section of our society legally carries guns.

This thread started as a reminder for those who choose to arm themselves, and the responsibilities that go with it.
as a society, we also have responsibilities that go with the right to keep and bear arms.
continuing to write the poems about justifying this right will never get us there.
there are far too many collateral and unintentional tragedies that come with this freedom

again, there is no magic dust that comes with a CC permit. When you take on this responsibility you must be constantly vigilant and skilled. And yes legal CC permit holders have committed murder and mass killings.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #55
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I think what fauch is trying to say is that toooo many people will go out and buy a gun and go to a one day course for the CC permit but don't got a clue about gun safety or what a gun can do or have ever seen what a gun can do. They are too nonchalant when it comes to handling a weapon. As an example the guy in Pa. that shot his kid by accident. Sorry that was not an accident that was negligence. I know that would never happen to me because every time I handle my gun I go thru clearing it a minimum of 2 times even if it is unloaded. Yes, it has the clip in it but no round in the chamber when I carry or when it is in my truck. But when I go to remove it or pull it out I pop out the clip and rack it 2 times looking into the chamber and firing it. Yes I know it is not good to fire an empty weapon but it makes it safe. So no, there is no way I would have been able to shoot that kid. But there are just too many people out there that are worse then that with a weapon who always think it's empty???? I was brought up that a gun is never empty, it always has a round in the chamber even if you don't see one.... I don't advocate gun control but I do think there should be a longer course and more in depth on gun safety. In school we had to watch gory films of car wrecks for drivers ed, why don't they show gun shot wounds for a CC? To get a hunting license some states have a several day hunting course where they teach gun safety. For a CC permit some states require a 1 day course where you shoot at a target a few times and they teach you about the laws but nothing on gun safety. Other states you only have to fill out some paper work and they check your background and you get your permit with out ever shooting your gun or being taught the law much less gun safety. Gun safety should be a requirement to own a weapon........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #56
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Thanks Steelpony!
Preventable Accidents with guns and avoidable scenarios are the two issues every gun owner must develop the attitude,habits and skills for.
The 'OTHER" aspect of gun control, as it pertains to screening who should not have guns, can infringe on our rights if we are not careful.

heres an article that focuses on the improved training aspect of gun ownership:
I think this is part of the right approach that needs to take place.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion...163923626.html

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #57
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

I didn't think so.
Intentionally? No, but I have seen accidental exposures and "printing". Neither of which bothered me, BTW.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #58
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't think so.
Your point?
My point is that the Rambo/ego references don't reflect any permitted folks that I've met. IMHO people who maintain a permit, training, range time etc. are not likely to be out in the "hood" flashing their Roscoe.
Agree!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #59
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't think so.
Your point?
Agree!
MY POINT IS:
I don't want to be around when they do!
and i've obviously had the privilege of meeting a bigger variety of CC students and carriers than you have....
Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #60
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Every year in Kansas about 20-40 folks loose their permits. I've never witnessed that happening or an event where it should have happened. Doesn't mean it hasn't, just not very often. With a couple of hundred new permits issued a month there are going to be a few "bad ones", but really not very many. I was head of the Police dept in town for a number of years and a shift commander on a Sheriff's dept for a lot of years so I have bumped into a few situations. In my limited experience the problems all came from unlicensed folks like are allowed to carry concealed out here in AZ.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote