Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Rear View Camera

Decided to go with this setup:

http://www.4ucam.com/images/8907T_extension_sample.jpg

http://www.4ucam.com/images/812EDiag.JPG

The wireless receiver can output to A/V for a monitor or USB to a Laptop. I plan to use a laptop since it is already mounted in the truck for navigation and GPS using the TrailerLife Navigator Software. Went with the GL 8907 camera shown in link. Total just under $200.

Now comes the install and I need some advice regarding the positioning of the camera on the rear cap. I want to install the camera at the top of the rear cap, but how easy is it to feed wires to that location? Or would it be better to mount the camera on the ledge just below the rear window?

Thanks in advance....

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Joe,
I have looked at installing on mine. I feel a good wire fishing (not fish) pole would let you feed from the three center lights to one on the edge of the trailer up top. Then fish it down to the brake/turn single socket and then below the fiberglass to the belly. I have fished wire from the belly to the turn/stop lights.
Good luck, let us know how it works and please take pictures.
Semper Fi,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
That is where mine is. Center of the rear window, above it (not on the flat immediately above it, but rather on the lower side of the rounded portion which makes it easy to fish the wires - at least that is what the dealer tech told me, they did the install). After reading of many problems with the wireless, I went the hard-wired route however with the Voyager system.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I took the easy way, drilled straight into the cabinets in my 3400RL, out the drivers side and down behind the curtains, over a little, then down under and up front. The carpet hides the wire along the wall.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Ozz... I took the easy also.. just mounted it to the ladder and run the wires under the rear cap and to a power wire in the TV..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Perhaps in the past few years, the wireless camera performance has improved. Before I went with a wired system, I tried a wireless setup ... traveling thru metro areas was terrible. I'd see someones back yard or driveway via their wireless security system every few blocks. On the road, it would be great on one stretch of road and in and out on another. Fishing the needed wires inside the rear cap isn't hard as long as you have a fish tape. Remove one of the center clearance lights (2 screws), one on the upper corner, and one of your tail lights. If you have patience, you can even run fish tape the length of your fiver above the black corrugated belly pan.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Thanks everyone for the advice and assistance. Yes, I agree that a wireless unit has problems. I use the Wally World wireless camera to hitch my boat to the truck and it flutters, but not enough to affect hooking up. This wireless system is wired from front cap to back cap and wireless from the front cap to the TV. I am assured it will work as the wireless system has an unobstructed effective range of 100m, which is 5 times further than my other wireless system. A full refund has been confirmed if does not work. We shall see.....
Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Capt. Joe , which wireless one are you getting? I'm not a fisher wire guy ( I have on many things but not on this ). I hope this works for you, then I'd get one. I'd just like to have it for backing. I really don't care whats behind me going down the road cause there nothing I can do about them. Thanks . Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Jack,
Check out the links in my original post, above. Received the setup today. Now I need to find the time to install it. The camera lens is about the size of a $0.50 piece and the wireless receiver is the size of a credit card and about as thick as a coaster. We shall see.