Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
De-lamination anyone?

I scrubbed the old gal down yesterday...ahh the Montana, and saw that the area above the drivers bedroom slide has big bubbles in it.
Bummer. Has anyone had this problem? If so, are we just out of luck?
I would imagine the fix would be costly and well, costly.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have some small bubbling in several places. Hardly noticeable until you get real close, like when cleaning.
I've never had things like that fixed because I'm sure it is costly.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
what year is the monty and is it under warranty?
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Not sure exactly what you're seeing, but when you said "de-laminating," I remembered I had bubbling in a SOB years back. It was caused by moisture seeping down from a leak in the roof. It got worse over time. Given that experience, if I saw anything that looked like bubbling on the side of the Montana, I'd check for water leaks.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
well doofus, it would have to be 'wicking' from the bottom of the section, the top is OK.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I had wet carpet in the back passenger corner a few months ago and found the problem was the selant around the windows had dried out. To confirm it I used clear silcone around the window frame and problem gone. I had allready sealed the roof around the ladder but didn't fix the problem. Guess I was lucky it didn't cause de-laminating.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, i'm glad you caught it in time.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
We noticed bubbles near the entrance door shortly after we bought the monty in 2006. It was more noticeable on a hot day in the direct sun. We took it to the dealer and Keystone approved the repair. It was done by a shop that specializes in this type of repair. They cut out a section of the panel about 2' X 5' and replaced it with fibreglas. When they were done, you couldn't tell that a repair had been made. 4 years later it still looks the same. They saved the piece that was removed to show me. During the manufacturing of the trailer, they missed this spot when applying the adhesive, allowing the skin to bubble. The cost for this repair was about $1,200.00 which was paid for by Keystone.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Yes, I have delamination below the bedroom slide toward the back. Water has leaked in at that corner over a two year period. My trailer has sat at the dealer for two years before we bought it. We had it repaired at a boat body repair place here in central WI. They have repaired it twice & it is still bubbling through the lamination. The wood behind the laminate was rotten. The bodyman had to cut out a 1 X 3 foot section & fill in with fiberglas.
Today it is still bubbling out. The water leak is repaired, but I think there is still some moisture trapped in there. Montana has picked up the bill for the two repairs.
My dealer says they will repair it this spring when we head back to WI.
Will it ever end??

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
rmorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #21837
We just took delivery of a 305rl and after first trip noticed this bubbling on lamination between bedroom slide and dining room slide. We have taken it back to dealership for warranty work on this and a few other things IMG_1361.jpeg
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote