Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
AWNING LOCKS

This morning I was looking for the post on awnings coming loose going down the road, so I searched and I know it was talked about before but found nothing so I googled and found I some locks for $50-$60 and then I found this one you can make cheap, don't know if it was talked about before but what do you think?

http://users3.ev1.net/~crossstitch/A...AwningFix.html

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
I have not had a problem with my awning coming loose during travel. I have to say from my own way of thinking, if having them installed makes you feel more comfortable and gives you peace of mind while on the road, go for it! I have done this on alot of different things when it comes to my Montana and boat. I spend my money on things that make me feel more at ease, reguardless of others opinions.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I am having a hard time understanding how your awning is coming loose going down the road. There are the screw locks that tighten them to the extension pole, and then the manual lock that push over the poles. Ours are so tight that you have to really work to get them loose once snapped in place. Guess we have been lucky as I have never had one to come loose in all my years of using one. Hope you have found a resolution to your problem.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Native Tex, I dont have the problem, I have read about so many that have, and a Rig moved in by us that lost there awning on there way from oklahoma, and reminded me that I needed to check this out.I was looking at the oz.of prevention.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob & Lee

Some people use electrical ties, around the awning arms. Might consider that, and might consider a couple of them, the further UP (like in OFF the ground) you can get them, the better.

That said, be sure that awning is hooked at the top when you roll it up.

I think this was discussed here a while back, you might have to search the archives (yellow box to the right of the page, front page).

But, I agree with Montana Sky, if you feel the need to get the lock, then you NEED the lock!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
From what I have read, it is not that the awning arms come loose, but that the fabric unwinds itself from the roller tube. This happens because on some awnings, the roller lock is a cam action that can slip, rather than a positive ratchet mechanism. If yours clicks when you roll it up, you are not likely to have the problem. At least that is the way I understand it.

I suppose anything mechanical can fail, and the locking devices would help prevent deploying the awning at 65 MPH!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Bob,
Try these links to a past threads.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....ning+locks.asp

http://www.hometown.aol.com/goldenwgf/

Sorry, put the wrong link in the first time.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

I am having a hard time understanding how your awning is coming loose going down the road. There are the screw locks that tighten them to the extension pole, and then the manual lock that push over the poles. Ours are so tight that you have to really work to get them loose once snapped in place. Guess we have been lucky as I have never had one to come loose in all my years of using one. Hope you have found a resolution to your problem.
The "Awning Locks" Bob & Lee are referring to are designed to prevent your awning material from unrolling, and billowing out. This can occur in a "Quartering" high wind at highway speeds, your awning arms do NOT have to come loose for this to happen. Gusting winds can deflect off the RV, and cause the awning material to have a lifting force that can snap, or overcome the ratcheting pawl that locks the awning roller, when this happens the awning material will spin the roller, and unfurl, with the awning lift arms still locked, and tight. The chance of this happening is NOT very likely, but it CAN occur. If you do a lot of highway travel, in extreme weather conditions, the odds are greater that this COULD happen. I have an Awning Tensioner, that I use to keep the fabric taut while the awning is extended, it will also keep the awning from unfurling during travel. The link Bob & Lee gave shows an inexpensive way of preventing this kind of mishap.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:13 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Sweetfire thanks for the links, they are what I was searching for, I knew I had read them just could'nt find them. THE Awning Tensioner that jpbcny uses look like a lot cleaner looking set up and not very much $$. THanks for all the Info. The wind here in Colorado Springs today is a Blizzard 40-50 MPH so tie it down, and 70 over the week-end, just wait it will change.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:02 AM   #10
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
It is as OntMont said. It is not the arms. It is the fabric rolls off the tubes. I have seen this a few times going down the road and the arms are in place.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have also seen awnings unfurled down the road. I think I've seen it 3 times. Just enough to concern me a bit. Next time I'm in a CW I'll check out the tensioner. Thanks for the links.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Ours unfurled a couple of years ago while southbound on I25 in a stiff crosswind (estimated 60 mph)near Walsenburg, CO. A pickup pulled up along side us and kept pointing up. We mouthed "Thanks" and pulled over.

It was completely unrolled and flapping violently over the roof in the wind. All clamps were locked in place, BUT the awning lock lever was in the "down" position.

To get some protection from the wind, I had to make a U-turn and found a spot to park in the median near a bridge. We found it almost impossible to get the rear support to come loose but a frustrated yank finally did it. I never did figure out why it was stuck.

Since the awning roll-up strap was long gone and I did not have rope that would fit in the channel, we just raised it as high as we could by holding the support bars and then let go. It banged into a locked position, and has stayed in place for many miles since. No apparent damage to the mechanism.

We still have the awning and I did some patching to the frayed areas with Vinyl Liquid Patch and put some touch up paint on it. Seems the area around the refrigerator vent caused most of the damage.

We later surmised that it was probably due to the latch being down. Why? was the question we had. I really think it was due to a large snow overhang that fell off a few days before we left home. But it could have been those pesky squirrels racing along the edge of the RV. It also could have been knocked down by me while dragging a hose along during roof cleaning. At any rate, we are now somewhat paranoid about the latch, especially in strong winds. We did add it to our checklist too.

I'm glad this came up again and I think I will apply one of the "positive" prevention ideas presented. Thanks for the ideas and links.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I finally got around to installing the Awning Lock on my awning. Probably the best $40 ever spent. It was so easy to install that "even a caveman could do it!" Took about 20 minutes.
See http://awninglock.com/

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hi Bob and Lee - Check out the October Trailer Life page 87. Neat Cheap Gate Latch application. It appears it would be strong and do the job without going to the Bank. Steve you need to look at this also. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Awning lock installed;
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...inglock011.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...inglock010.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dennis,
I believe you have the RV awning travelock. Now that you've had it for awhile what do you think of it?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That was a good one, Orv!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote