Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #41
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You need to remove the back wall in the front pass-through storage area so you can see what's going on with the floor. There is a huge open space under the 2 reclining chair area, behind that wall. Inspect the floor joists and make sure none of the welds have broken.

"Soft floor" can mean several things. The floor is sandwiched with a top layer and a bottom layer of Luna plywood. In the middle is about an inch and a quarter / half inch of Styrofoam. The Styrofoam could be crumbling causing the softness.

If the Luna plywood is crumbling under the linoleum flooring, it's possible it's crumbling because of the weight of the furniture sitting on top of it bouncing up and down when traveling. Once the Luna gets soft, it causes the Styrofoam to begin to crumble also, causing a really soft floor.

When we purchased our 375FL, one of the very first things that happened was those two reclining chairs / love seat facing the television broke loose from the floor. There were only 4 small wood screws holding them to the floor and the only thing they screwed into was the very, very thin Luna plywood. The bouncing on the road caused the screws to pull right out.

I was really pissed when that happened and the chairs moved around when sitting on them.

I ended up drilling holes through the floor and ran 4 bolts for each chair (8 bolts) I had to drill a little on the chair frames themselves, but I got everything lined up and then ran bolts through the frame of the chairs, completely through the floor and with a huge washer and nut, secured them down tight! They've never, ever, ever moved, or bounced or wiggled since. As far as I know, the floor is still solid under mine and I've got no issues at all.

If your recliner chairs / love seat can move because it's not anchored down to the floor tight, then THAT is what has caused the softness. The shear weight and the bouncing when traveling has damaged the floor.

I do not think water intrusion is your problem. There is no water in the front living room 374, 375, 376, 377 FL models at all. Water under the floor in the void area, yes, but nothing that would cause damage to the floor. Water does not run uphill.

If you have a roof leak, you'd see evidence of that in the wall. The walls are sandwiched with a Styrofoam middle also. Water can't pass through though. You'd see water intrusion on your walls pretty obvious. So, I doubt your problem is water from the roof dripping down the inside of the wall and then creeping under the linoleum on the floor cause wood rot. (It is possible you can water creeping down from the slide out though. But there again, you'd see evidence of that water intrusion.

So, I think your problem is the bouncing of the chairs on a Styrofoam floor.

No, Keystone will not cover this. They'll probably say it just normal wear and tear and no structural problem on their part.

Still... it never hurts to try to push the issue!

A very simple solution fix for the floor under the chairs is to simply lay a new sheet of plywood on top of the floor. Either paint it, or cover it with floor tile, laminate, or Linoleum and then put the chairs on top of that. Meanwhile, run those bolts through the floor and really anchor those chairs down so they don't move any more. This fix will be much easier than replacing the floor. Replacing the floor will be a really, really awful job to do.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:03 PM   #42
Mgalves43

M.O.C. #33143
Choosing between 2 used campers for sale

I decided I wanted to get this floor plan months ago and it’s finally time to make a purchase. I have 2 units that I’m struggling to choose between. I’m looking for your opinions . My use case is I’m going to live and work in it fulltime. I plan on one location for the winter, then another location most of the summer with weekend trips throughout the summer. Will have hookups most of the time. I don’t plan on boondocking much at this point. I plan on getting a NRVIA inspection before purchase either way. Any advice on this is appreciated. First person quoted me $1050 for the inspection. This seems expensive.

1st camper: 2021 377fl $65000.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=6ojiHh

It has the residential fridge, combo washer/dryer, furrion back and side camera system, and new top of the line tires when the trip started. Has the old style drop frame with steel wheels welded on. No solar. No generator prep. It has out of state title.

Its backstory: Owner bought this camper February 2023, said it had barely been used before that. He had a proper inspection done then and nothing major was wrong. Their family then hit the road on a 6 month family trip full timing of which they are finishing up as we speak in California. 3500 mile trip. They are selling it as they finish their trip and then heading back home. The family is willing to travel from where they are in socal up to where I live near Sacramento to deliver it to my spot at my friends house. This is l ideal because I don’t have a truck yet. I’m waiting until the spring to drop the money on that.

2nd camper: 2021 376fl $70,000.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=6ojiHh

It has the electric/propane fridge, combo washer/dryer, 400i solar package, generator prep, and has the new tapered drop frame in the back. It has CA title currently and will stay registered here.

It’s backstory: this camper is located right near where I live in California. The owner bought it from our local rv sales lot and had it deliver to his spot after his house burnt down in one of the forest fires. It hasn’t moved since. They lived in it for 4 months and then decided to get a rental house instead. I would need to have it delivered across town.

Do I choose the camper that’s been put through its paces? Or the basically brand new camper.

Is the old drop frame with welded wheels such an issue that I should pick the one with the tapered new drop frame?

Is generator prep and solar something that should sway me towards camper #2?

Buying the camper that was purchased at our local shop and has a CA title? Or a unit from across the country with out of state title?

I need some help, thanks for your opinions.
Mgalves43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:05 AM   #43
Akuhn
Established Member

M.O.C. #29184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
You need to remove the back wall in the front pass-through storage area so you can see what's going on with the floor. There is a huge open space under the 2 reclining chair area, behind that wall. Inspect the floor joists and make sure none of the welds have broken.

"Soft floor" can mean several things. The floor is sandwiched with a top layer and a bottom layer of Luna plywood. In the middle is about an inch and a quarter / half inch of Styrofoam. The Styrofoam could be crumbling causing the softness.

If the Luna plywood is crumbling under the linoleum flooring, it's possible it's crumbling because of the weight of the furniture sitting on top of it bouncing up and down when traveling. Once the Luna gets soft, it causes the Styrofoam to begin to crumble also, causing a really soft floor.

When we purchased our 375FL, one of the very first things that happened was those two reclining chairs / love seat facing the television broke loose from the floor. There were only 4 small wood screws holding them to the floor and the only thing they screwed into was the very, very thin Luna plywood. The bouncing on the road caused the screws to pull right out.

I was really pissed when that happened and the chairs moved around when sitting on them.

I ended up drilling holes through the floor and ran 4 bolts for each chair (8 bolts) I had to drill a little on the chair frames themselves, but I got everything lined up and then ran bolts through the frame of the chairs, completely through the floor and with a huge washer and nut, secured them down tight! They've never, ever, ever moved, or bounced or wiggled since. As far as I know, the floor is still solid under mine and I've got no issues at all.

If your recliner chairs / love seat can move because it's not anchored down to the floor tight, then THAT is what has caused the softness. The shear weight and the bouncing when traveling has damaged the floor.

I do not think water intrusion is your problem. There is no water in the front living room 374, 375, 376, 377 FL models at all. Water under the floor in the void area, yes, but nothing that would cause damage to the floor. Water does not run uphill.

If you have a roof leak, you'd see evidence of that in the wall. The walls are sandwiched with a Styrofoam middle also. Water can't pass through though. You'd see water intrusion on your walls pretty obvious. So, I doubt your problem is water from the roof dripping down the inside of the wall and then creeping under the linoleum on the floor cause wood rot. (It is possible you can water creeping down from the slide out though. But there again, you'd see evidence of that water intrusion.

No, Keystone will not cover this. They'll probably say it just normal wear and tear and no structural problem on their part.

A very simple solution fix for the floor under the chairs is to simply lay a new sheet of plywood on top of the floor. Either paint it, or cover it with floor tile, laminate, or Linoleum and then put the chairs on top of that. Meanwhile, run those bolts through the floor and really anchor those chairs down so they don't move any more. This fix will be much easier than replacing the floor. Replacing the floor will be a really, really awful job to do.
This is phenomenal information, we are on the last leg of our 7 week trip with the kids right now. So once we get home I will pull that wall out and take a look.

It is important to note that you are probably right, because the chairs have never been screwed down.. but that is part of this being my first 5th wheel.. ignorance!

If we ever meet up, I owe you a beer or six.. you have helped me many times on this forum
Old 01-31-2024, 12:53 PM   #44
Akuhn
Established Member

M.O.C. #29184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Figured I would provide an update for this, there was a seal held in by a screw in the road side front slide causing water to come in while raining. The entire upper floor needed to be replaced. Thank you State Farm
Old 02-06-2024, 06:02 PM   #45
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
2021 3761fl

Purchased used in 2023 loving it so far. Summer ac worked fine. Winter once heat was fixed is good. Have found the thermostat temp is off. Cold nights keep it set at 70 with gas heat n it stays very comfortable throughout the camper. During the day we use the heat pump set at 68 n that works great.
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:05 AM   #46
TONILYNN7765

M.O.C. #33942
I have a 2016 375fl where are the gray an black handles for holding tanks?
TONILYNN7765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:39 AM   #47
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONILYNN7765 View Post
I have a 2016 375fl where are the gray an black handles for holding tanks?
You should have 3 dump valves and 2 discharge places.

The bathroom (black and grey) discharge under the back steps (or near them). I think the 2016 model did not have the Moryde solid steps yet. So, the discharge pipe will be in that area. The actual valves (on mine), are behind a small door to the side of the steps. If you do not have that little door, you may have to look under trailer for 2 rods hanging below the underbelly. It's possible the pull handles have twisted off and lost. If you don't see any rods, then look for 2 small holes. It's possible those rods twisted off and are lost. Replacement is easy, go to any RV dealership parts store and they have new pull handles.

I'm not familiar with the 2016 model, but everything for the bathroom should be close to the discharge port.

Now, the front discharge port is for the kitchen. On mine, it actually comes through a hole on the trailer frame under the kitchen slide.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:44 AM   #48
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Another update .... dang ... another cable on the kitchen slide broke yesterday! It's the rear facing end of the slide, upper cable, cable that pulls (in). (The outside one). Dang! I have 2 new replacements. At least, THIS one is easy to get to, being the edge of the slide that faces the hallway! But still.... I hate replacing these cables.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:02 AM   #49
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONILYNN7765 View Post
I have a 2016 375fl where are the gray a black handles for holding tanks?
Hopefully you haven’t been using your camper very long before asking this question. If so, there may be other problems on the horizon.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:27 AM   #50
Akuhn
Established Member

M.O.C. #29184
376FL measurement question

Hey everyone! My camper is still at the shop, I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me out with a measurement question. I am looking to know the distance from the nose to of trailer to the rear jacks. (roughly) I am building a pad for the trailer to sit on at my house for when we get ready for our trip this summer! The reason for asking for the measurement from nose to rear jacks, is I want the nose to sit flush with the front of my garage.. I am a bit anal with these things

We live on a hill, so this level pad is needed, just want to make sure the pad is large enough to level it on

Also, we are going to be going through Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania this year.. This camper has been through 11 states so far, and I have yet to see another one of these in the wild
Old 04-10-2024, 08:43 AM   #51
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuhn View Post
Hey everyone! My camper is still at the shop, I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me out with a measurement question. I am looking to know the distance from the nose to of trailer to the rear jacks. (roughly) I am building a pad for the trailer to sit on at my house for when we get ready for our trip this summer! The reason for asking for the measurement from nose to rear jacks, is I want the nose to sit flush with the front of my garage.. I am a bit anal with these things

We live on a hill, so this level pad is needed, just want to make sure the pad is large enough to level it on

Also, we are going to be going through Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania this year.. This camper has been through 11 states so far, and I have yet to see another one of these in the wild
Dutch has a 375FL. He might be able to help.