Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
sdgwynn

M.O.C. #8198
2955RL

The wife and i are thinking about purchasing a new 2955RL. I owned a cougar previously and went to a winnebago class C. A big mistake due to no storage and reduced living area. I own a 2001 Ford F350 shortbed crewcab , not a dually. I like the 2 slide arrangement, looks like you can use the unit while on the road without puting out slides. Any imput would be appreciated.

sdgwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That is exactly the rig I had prior to now - 2001 F350 SB CC SRW and a 2955RL. It worked great for us!!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Welcome to the MOC forum.

We have a early (Aug 2006 build date) 2007 2955RL. Here are the things you can not get to with the slides in. Bottom 4 draws of the dresser, Living room TV, Stereo, and 2 cabinets below (where you would put the Satellite box), the cabinet below the bedroom TV,and the one recliner. Otherwise you can use the complete kitchen, bath, bed, closet (by climbing over the bed), dinning room,and bedroom TV.

Any other questions, we will be happy to answer.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We have an 08 2955RL and have enjoyed it so far. We are changing out the king bed for a queen bed. The king bed is hard to make up and takes up a little to much room on the sides. This is probably preference on our part. You can use the 2955RL without putting out the slides or you can put out only the bedroom slide if you want. The bedroom slide comes out first, just stop when it is extended. We both like the electric awning. It is the first one we have had and we seem to use it more than what we did with the manual awnings.

From my own personal experience after having larger units and smaller units after you are in them for extended periods of time they all can become small at times. I think it is the mind set thing. The 2955RL tows great. The length will get you into a few places where larger trailers may have difficulty. I wouldn't let the length get in the way if I wanted more length and slides. The 2955RL just fit our budget and needs at the time and we liked the unit.

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Started fulltiming in 03 in a 2955. Although an 04 we purchased it in 2003. We were totally happy with the unit for over 3 years when we traded up to the 3485SA. If we were going to do it all over again we wouldn't change a thing. The 2955 suited all of our needs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
Wife and I bougth our 2007 in July, Moms a happy camper, enougth said. It is very useable on the road, as rogue has said there are a couple drawers and tv not accessable in main room. We pack the top two drawers with items needed travling. Saw a new big sky at the charleston wv show, did not appear you could get in bed room with slide in. Only problem so far was the dvd player and stool leaking water.New seal and that was fixed. New panisonic home theater unit and thats fixed. Love it, would buy it again.
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Had a 2955RL for our first 5er - it was great - big bonus is you can get to pretty well everything with the slides in.
We did however move on to the 3075. The extra slide gives lots more room and the two chairs at the back in the 2955 could be a little cool in the spring and fall when the door is opened, but in the summer heat it was great to sit back there with the screen door. - It all boils down to personal preference - both models have pro's and con's.
Good luck - at least you will be getting a Monty!
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We love ours. We bought a 2006 in January of '06, and immediately upon delivery in May we put 10,000 miles on the rig. I second the recommendation on the queen bed. The king has a hokey extra section that you have to install/uninstall, and limits the room in the bedroom area. The rear steps drag occasionally on dips due to the rear entry design, but others have had no problem with theirs.

All in all, a very livable unit.I would definitely buy another one.

We got the generator prep and wiring for the 2nd A/C unit, but would probably not do so again. The gelcoat finish is nice, and looks good even after a trip, when it's less than pristine.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We got ours last May and love it. We find we have enough room and have a King size bed which we pull the bed towards the dresser and when finished we push it back
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
We have 2007 Montana 2955RL with a King Sized Bed which we bought in 9/06, but did not take delivery until 4/07.

The King Mattress is all one piece and we can move around the bed just fine.

In fact, one of the criteria for purchase of our fifth wheel, was a bedroom I could stand up in and a bed I could get in and out of - without being on my knees.

Also, I wanted to have a shower where I did not have to hop over the toilet to use.

My wife & I have been living in our Montana since 12/29 and will not be returning to the stick house until mid-April.

Our Montana 2955RL has more than lived up to our expectations
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
We've had our early '06 2955RL since 9/05. One of the features that sold us was the access to fridge and head without slides in. This makes lunch stops simple. The 12K lb weight tows easily as well but having the combined living/galley is getting a bit old after several months in the trailer. I suspect that the next unit will have a curb side dining table and all lounge and entertainment center in one zone. There is so much storage that we have to watch weights and don't really fill the cabinets. The rear entry does get a bit close to the recliners when you want to tilt the back out. A nice option would the the low clearance recliners that the Grand Junctions use.
I hope that you enjoy your Montana as much as we have enjoyed ours.
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #12
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
werhapy said --> having access to fridge and head without slides being out ..

Absolutely - being able to prepare a quick meal and sit at the table - works out real nicely while on the road -- we have done this several times.

Also, we have made two "emergency pit stops" in the breakdown lanes on the interstates to use our facilities, when the need has arisen and there be no rest stops in sight ..

If asked by a state police officer -- I thought my load shifted and was checking .. just don't say which "load" is shifting ..
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have been fulltiming in our 2001 2955RL for coming up on 7 years and the only thing I would add is a washer/dryer space, w hich the new rigs have. This has been a really good unit for us. Very livable and just the right size for many a tight spot. Very easy to use on the road for fixing lunch - even cooking up a hamburger! Have not needed to get in any drawers underway, so no comment on that.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
We had an '02 3255 Montana which we loved, but lost it to a refrigerator fire recently. We almost bought a B+ or C to replace it (we even looked at class A's), but at the last minute we decided the 5th wheel was what we needed. We looked at several SOB's and all the Montana models and in the end, we decided to go with a Montana again and we downsized to the 2955.

We love the 2955 for all the reasons previously mentioned. Since you are looking at a new unit, you might have a choice between the early model 2008 and the 10th anniversary edition 2008. The floorplans are similiar. The only big difference we could find is the shower and toilet are reversed. Putting the shower on the street side provided a bigger space for the 32" HD TV that is directly behind it and space for a bigger bathroom sink just in front of the toilet on the curb side. The 10th anniversaries have additional upgrade that you can find in other threads on the MOC site.

As luck would have it, our dealer had an '07 and '08 (early model) 2955 on the lot. We had him price those two and a speical order 10th anniversary model. In the end, the price difference was insignificant so we ordered the 10th anniversary edition. It was delivered about a month later and we've been very happy with it.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We have an 06, 2955 and have spent the last two summers in Ma. working for the USACE. It has been very comfortable for us. Have spent severaal nights on the road at Flying J's. It works just fine for that also. LOL have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
The 2955 was our choice of all the Montana Models. We had a 2002 model 2955 which we towed for over 50,000 miles in just a bit over five years. Our experience was entirely positive. If a replacement had been available with a solid door between the bedroom and the bath (which we had in our 2955) I feel sure we would be driving that model now. Unfortunately, the Montana models with that feature were bigger, heavier, and longer than we desired. Based on our experience I would still rate the 2955 as a most desirable Montana.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #17
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We have a 2005 2955rl and love it for all the same reasons. What we did to enhance our "closed up" time was to purchase two oak stools(from Wally World). They can be stored really easy in the Monty. So when we stop, I pull them out and we can sit inside at the end of the counter top and use it for a place to sit and eat. We did this many time last year during our Canada trip.

Probably Saturday I will start to breath life into the Monty it has been a long snowy winter here in Wisconsin. Spring is coming!

Happy Camping and a safe year to all!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote