Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
dual pane windows bad

My dual pane windows are getting moisture in between the glass. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how was it handled? The moisture gets so bad with mold, it gets to the point where you can't see out the windows. I have a 2003-model # 3255.

Thanks,
Hawkeye

This is our third window in three years. I am really interested if anyone else is having this problem. I wonder if 2003 was the first year that they came out with dual pane windows?

hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Had this happen in the stick house. Glass guy said that the seal was no good. Had to replace the glass panel.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Illapah is correct, the glass will have to be replaced. I would check the replacement cost with a RV dealer and a glass shop to see who is cheaper.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hmmm...I wonder if those have low e and argon.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One reason we did not get the dual pane windows was our concern about the space between the glass pieces being compromised (that's what the glass gurus call air getting in there) with all the bumps and abuse the windows would take going down the road. The only way to fix them is replace them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
This would be a concern of mine. I hate the sweating windows, but at least you can wipe them off. Hard to wipe what you can't get to. We had one in the stick house that was broken, and after replacement, always had moisture between the panes.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We have a friend who has a Bounder Motor Home and it has dual windows. A rock cracked one of the small slide windows and the dealer told them they would have to replace it and the cost was $900. installed.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were never able to get all the spec's on the dual pane windows...Like what they are filled with besides air..what is the distance between panes, etc. We did not get them because we did not feel we needed them. Had a camping friend with DP's on another` brand camper and most of them fogged after awhile..not sure they are designed for long term use over all kinds of roads.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Don't tell me that there is a problem here as we just ordered them on our new Monty. To keep some of the sounds out.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wouldn't worry about the failure rate, it is very small. You will not regret getting them.
Hawkeye, I would go to a regular glass company & get a price. I have done this with many of my customers windows, both commercial buildings and refrigeration units.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't think there is a problem other than the myriad of issues that arise(so we are told) from driving these things down bumpy and wavy roads. We do not drive our stick homes down bad roads, Two panes of glass will always be better than one no matter what.We would have ordered them if we felt we would have needed them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dick and Jackie, Don't worry about them you will be glad you ordered them. Our other Montana did not have them and this one does. This unit is much quiter than the other and you don't feel the cold as much when you are sitting next to the window. When we get another Montana it will have the dual pane windows also.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
There is some kind of gas between panes, not air. Also, noticed at an RV show Friday, the dual paned windows do not have the very dark tint the single pane windows have. Seems to me in the summer the very dark tint would be equal in energy rating to the double panes with less tint.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Any inert gas would work, probably dry nitrogen
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We love ours. Have had no problems. All the benefits stated above have been noticed.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Hawkeye,
I would contact Keystone to get the manufacturer's information and contact them to see if they have any kind of warranty. I know the dual panes we have in our stick house have a lifetime guaranty against this type of failure. At least it is worth a try.

Jack
Old 02-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We just ordered our new 3400RL with dual panes. Want them for two reasons. Quietness--we ware going to be stuck here an additional 4 years, not he 18 months we thought, and we are parked next ot a very noisy highway.
Warmth-- don't like cold arms when setting nesxt to windows. They are covered under warranty so I'm not going to worry about it.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Hawkeye,
I would contact Keystone to get the manufacturer's information and contact them to see if they have any kind of warranty. I know the dual panes we have in our stick house have a lifetime guaranty against this type of failure. At least it is worth a try.

Jack
Thanks Jack I did call Keystone and they said I was way out of my 1 year warranty. Iam working with the window manfacturer now but it will cost me $$$. Only a 1 year warranty on the windows..not like a stick house.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #19
mann52

M.O.C. #6498
I’m not sure which glass units they use in the Montans, as mine are single pane, maybe someone at the Buellton rally could show them to me, but being in the glass business, I do know a little about them.
Dual pane windows are just what they are, two panes of glass separated by usually a spacer which then has a mass, usually a butyl substance, to keep moisture from entering the area between the panes. The space between the panes is usually just dead air. It’s not a vacuum or a gas. Argon gas was used in the earlier stages of glass insulation to improve the insulation, but problems arose from this also.
Unfortunately, no one has perfected the sealing of these “units” as they are called, and through different reasons, they break down and moisture gets between the panes. The only way to fix the problem is to replace the entire unit. Breakdown happens for many reasons, but the most common is heat. Add some dark window tinting to the interior of a unit, and you can almost guarantee it failing.
To keep the heat out, Low-E (emissivity) glass has been developed. There are different qualities and manufacturers of this. This type of glass blocks the ultraviolet rays, which is what causes things to heat up & fade. Tinted glass is used for blocking the visible light
Glass in RV’s is required to be safety of tempered. A typical glass unit with safety glass, Low-E and tinted costs approximately $20.00 per square foot, but there is usually a 3 square foot minimum. Radius corners or patterns will increase this price.
A glass shop will probably give you a better price than an RV manufacturer.
mann52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have the DP and wouldn't be without them. I have been getting quotes to replace the windows in the stick house. Argon gas between the panes is still available for extra cost. Low E is a coating on the inside of the glass. It can be a soft coating or a hard coating and their are advantages to either type and your climate dictates the best choice for you.
I hope my DP windows in the Monty get me at least 10 years of service before the seals go south but only time will tell.
Quiet and draft free and plenty tinted for me, the benefits are worth the risk of premature seal failure. The material between the panes is flexible and RV windows are designed to roll down the highway, DP is no different.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote