Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
San Diego, CA to Ft Collins, CO

We have reservations @ Ft Collins (Horsetooth Resv.) 10 Apr. Routing through Phoenix/Chandler AZ area to visit friends. We are fulltimers so time and distance (ie. detours) not an issue. We have never traveled this area. Our desire is to avoid the steep grades, white knuckles and potential high elevation/mountain pass weather issues this early in the spring. As we are in San Diego county now we already know that I-8 over the Laguna Mtns is mandatory. We are considering I-25 north from I-10 with possible detour on US-287 to avoid Raton Pass. Other than Raton, are there other places on this route that we should consider avoiding? TIA.

Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
IF the weather is not an issue, I don't think you would have trouble with Raton Pass. We consider it one of the "easier" passes in New Mexico/Colorado. It is four lane all the way, so drivers in a hurry can go on around. We tow with a Duramax/Allison and with the tow/Haul mode selected we only have to touch the brakes a few times to keep our speed low on the way down, and the "way down" is always the toughest part of any pass.

We always try to make camp at the top of Raton Pass at one of our favorite RV parks. http://www.cedarrailrvpark.com/

Now if weather IS an issue, that would change everything. I am only commenting on our experience of crossing Raton Pass many times. But I have to admit that we have towed over almost every pass in Colorado. Experience is the best teacher, and each driver must make route decisions based on his own experience of mountain driving.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I agree with Dave, Raton pass is not an issue. If you get a storm, just wait it out. However, I would consider seeing some of the beautiful parks in Arizona and Utah - Monument Valley, Arches, Zion and Bryce among them. We live outside of Fort Collins. Contact us if you are in the area and have some time.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
while you are in the area, be sure to drive the Poudre River canyon, but in the toad or towing vehicle. It is one of the top ten road trips in the US. Every time we have been through there, we have seen moose. Bears aren't quite as common, but we have seen them many times.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
Our daughter lives in Windsor, just outside Ft Collins. We have made the trip from Phx many a time. Took i-40 to i-25. Raton is the only really steep climb, but with all the new features on the tow vehicle, makes it pretty easy.
One thing though, take the e-470 bypass around Denver. Makes it much easier to around than through Denver.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
snowbiz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12991
I also agree about Raton Pass. Not really a problem except in wind/snow and as said, just watch the forecast. Bud
snowbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
As others have said, Raton Pass is a walk in the park. Nothing to worry about. On the other hand, Kenosha Pass and Crow Hill near the town of Bailey on 285 will give you something to think about.. I'd stay on the interstate. As for travel through Denver, C470 is a good alternative to skirt downtown, but it's out of your way by a considerable bit. Your choice, but if you decide to go through Denver, be aware that the right lane of I-25 stops, starts, and exits with no rhyme or reason . Stay in lane 2 and you'll be fine through town. Enjoy your trip!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #8
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Thank you everyone for your feedback (please excuse the delay in response, poor Wi-Fi), based on your inputs I feel confident taking I-25 from south New Mexico. Also considering Phoenix - Flagstaff (day trip to Grand Canyon)- Albuquerque. How is I-17 north from Phoenix and I-40 east to I-25. Still taking into consideration steep grades up and down, not our favorite part of this adventure. As for Denver, planning for early Saturday morning transit straight through. We've got time and if we don't do it, we really can't say we did it, right?
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Congratulations on your decision. You should make it just fine.

Since you are going up I-25 from I-40 maybe you could plan a stopover in Santa Fe; maybe even a day trip up to Taos.

We have always gone straight through Denver, the last time on a week day pretty early in the morning. Just kept moving with the traffic and did not consider it a delay.

Have a really good trip.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote