Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How low can you go?

My landing gear seems to take forever to raise and lower. It seems to have enough travel since I've not had any problems if I correctly guess what notch in the drop down part to use. The problem is how long it takes for the motorized part to travel - it's so slow in either direction in my rig.

I notice in some member pictures that the landing gear hangs down a little when hitched to the TV and like that idea, to lessen the amount of travel when setting up. I plan that the drop downs with notches would still be raised to the max, but I'm trying to lessen the retraction of the motorized part of the legs (and save some time).

For those with experience doing this, how low would you recommend that I can leave the landing legs down and still not risk snagging something while driving? I'm thinking no lower than the bottom of the TV bumper but would prefer advice and opinion from an experienced consensus just to make sure.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

One of the great things I like about the Montana is the fact that it sits so high off the ground and has the clearance that it has. I’ve had other brands where a slight incline would put you into dragging the tail end very easily or scraping the pavement. I wouldn’t consider leaving them down any at all.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We leave the motorized section down about 4", been doing that for 14 yrs. That still leaves the legs high enough that it would take a really strange situation to snag one of them
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

They are Really, really, really,really..SLOW..but..we are in no hurry. They will get down in time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I run my extentions all the way to the ground them just lift off the truck with the motor, pull out then level, up or down. Usually up. I travel with everything full up. Take no time at all, Just a minute or so.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We put the legs all the way up but leave the movable section down about 3".
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, Cathy leaves ours down about 4 inches. I don't even want her to get close to the upper stops as I have heard too many stories about blown fuses. Maybe this is why we have had such good luck, (knock on wood), with our fuses and legs. We also drop them as far as possible before extending them to get the trailer off the truck. I don't think our legs move more than about 6 inches at any give time. If our selected spot looks very "unlevel" we will usually pick another spot. I don't like the front end sitting "too" high. Don't know what the "accepted" way is but we like the way we do it....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We leave ours down about 3". Now I have to be a bit contrary. I was told by someone at Keystone and I don't remember who, that you should MINIMIZE the amount of the extension. Think about it. The extension is much thinner, therefore weaker. Those two little legs are holding up well over 1000 pounds apiece. The thin legs also contribute to trailer movement. Some of that might be helped by the use of a tripod/bipod.

YMM, and probably does,D
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Art,
We run ours all the way up but I see nothing wrong with leaving the power part down a couple of inches. I wouldn't do it but you will probably never have a problem..... Like Charlie.... His 14 years is a good testament. The gears are slow that is for sure but "Hey!" What is a couple of minutes? Take your time and relax.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
we leave ours down about 4-6 inches, think about this,that the rear axle on your truck is only about 8 inches off the ground so you would have to go into a pretty wild dip to ever hit the legs.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Art I also leave mine up almost all the way up but at the third hole from the bottom. I have nightmares of that one gas station aproach way that is a good upward and then the parking lot drops down that would be a leg killer. that place is in Ventura county going north on us101 never forgot that place the whol aperon had the scars of death on it. I never chance a scrunch.