Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Remember when a hardware store was your go to plac

The torsion spring broke on my 16’ garage door over the weekend. I went to Lowes to get a replacement. There, I was told Lowes (at least in Derby, KS) doesn’t sell torsion springs anymore due to possible liability issues. Geeze Louise … it’s a sorry world society is evolving into. Why do those of us that have waaaayyyyyy more mechanical ability than the current generation who is mechanically stymied past simultaneously pressing both thumbs on their IPhone while texting one another be hobbled at every turn???? A step ladder, 2 wrenches, a pair of vise grips, a couple of ˝” steel bars to wind the spring, and about 20 minutes … you’re done. I know what some of you are thinking, but I surely think I can be personally responsible for key elements of personal safety as each day unfolds. Give those of us who prefer to avoid dependency on others to do everyday tasks at hand a chance here ……………. By the way, I went to Sutherlands and got the spring.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I certainly feel the same way as you. But I don't think kids today are taught to repair things like many of us were in the "old days". It has become a throw away society. And to take on a strong spring like that would only be asking for trouble for many of them.
And because anyone and everyong will sue at the drop of a hat if for no other reason than to try to pass blame for their ignorance, I can't blame the stores for taking the position they sometimes to.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It is a real shame now days that those of us who want to can't and others aren't made to take responsibility for our own actions.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It's not the lack of ability that has taken away repair parts, it is the legal system that allows people who think they can fix something, then find they can't and get themselves hurt, and then think it's the fault of someone else and they then sue everybody in sight that might have a few bucks. If I were a manufacturer, I also would think twice about selling parts like springs to a consumer.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bob: I agree and disagree with you. Yep "sue happy" is a good phrase to coin and does cause the price of some products to rise and rise. As for ability in today's generations ... we are tremendously lacking. I work at a very large employer. The company I work for cannot fill many of the job openings it has in the blue collar field because many of the applicants do not posses the skill or ability to learn that skill. Like eluded to by BB_TX ... as each generation passes, if your Dad didn't know to involve you in basic mechanics, then you more than likely won't pick it up to involve your kids. Technology is great as it has allowed mechanical devices to do things never thought of years ago ... we just have to realize without people to maintain basic mechanics, all the whiz programs in the world become just "window dressing".
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Lowes won't even cut a treated board for a customer anymore in Chattanooga, TN. Can't say for other cities.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Hope ya purchased both springs. Most people don't realize that the springs for the garage door are rated at 9000 cycles. And if you break one, the other is about due to break pretty soon. Exceptions to every rule, but replace both. Don't ya just love the red and black code. Yes, I have changed many of them. Dead on 20 minutes and everything is good. I changed one for a buddy a couple of months ago. Local outfits would not sell him the springs, due to liability, but would install them for him for $240. Ordered the pair 68 bucks.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those garage door torsion springs can hurt you real bad but how can the store you bought it from be held responsible,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
I think the real reason is not that some one will sue them but that its a great way to drive their home installation business.
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiller

I think the real reason is not that some one will sue them but that its a great way to drive their home installation business.
Hit the nail on the head, right there.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
2Shays20
Established Member

M.O.C. #13927
"Shop" and Industrial Arts were discontinued here in Arizona in Junior Highs and High Schools twenty years ago for the same liability issues. Still remember my seventh grade wood shop teacher Mr. Firestone throwing a carrot at a Jigsaw for effect on what could happen to fingers if we didn't follow the safety rules. Got a great education by tinkering with how things work and now repair things on my own unless I don't have time. Education isn't what I received forty years ago!
2Shays20 is offline   Reply With Quote