Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Water pressure regulator

Does anyone know if the new Montana's come with a built in pressure regulator? I looked over all the brochures and can't find any info.
Our new 3665RE has low water pressure with 2 different regulators and normal high pressure without, but I don't want to go without a regulator if one isn't built in.

Thanks in advance.

Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i do not think they come with a regulator . the lines are all marked with the presure they can handle .i believe it is 75 psi.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
From my experience of working with technicians on RVs, there is no built-regulator. You need to use a regulator on the input to your rig. Although they recommend a 40 psi regulator, the plumbing will pass a much higher pressure. The manufacturers test them at up to 140 psi. Then when they recommend you limit your input water pressure at 40 psi, they are assured that the plumbing will hold up.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Those cheesy inline units you get at CW will give you a serious volume restriction. The adjustable one they sell is ok. Several of have gotten the Watts brand model N55BG. We got ours at the RV Water Filter Store We went with this unit and the pressure gauge mounted to hose swivel. that way we can see what is coming in and going out of the regulator. We have been at CGs that have over 120 lbs pressure... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I agree with 'exnavydiver" on the adjustable pressure regulator. One thing that I do additionally, is hookup the pressure regulator as the last thing in line - hose, filter, adjustable pressure regulator & inlet connection. That way you know exactly how much pressure you have entering the RV
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Sinterior, As Exnavydiver stated the cheaper regulators do have a history of going bad. Before changing the regulator I would try another hose from the water source to the RV. There has been several posts on this forum about hoses collapsing under pressure. Jim
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I too have the Watts pressure regulator. It's a proven, repairable unit and will give you reliable service and little flow restriction. Mine is mounted near the coach along with various filters, pressure relief valves, and unfiltered higher pressure allowed to go to black tank flush-out (since it's always "open" with no way for the pressure to build and blow any fittings apart.
Only down side, and I found out the hard way, is that hooking up this way affords you no protection for your "lead-in" hose from the pedestal. - Haven't come up with a cost-effective compromise as yet, don't really want to hang that $60 regulator out there for the sticky fingers people and don't want pressure reduction and flow restriction when flushing out my black tank either. - it's a work in progress.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Great info, thanks guys.
Pete
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i would also look at a water presure guage you put that on tap before hooking up turn the tap on and it will tell you the presure at the tap.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote