Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #1
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Send a message via AIM to JBMANN52
Ripped Sheet Metal

A belated Thank You to the Welcome Wishes we received when we joined the MOC about a month ago. We recently purchased a 2002 3670RL and have now made two local trips in it.
Sadly to say on the second trip,the weekend of Nov. 10, we had a tire blow(driver side forwared tire)as we were headed to North Georgia. I know, I know purchasing a 2002 that probably still has the original tires screams tire replacement but we were so anxious to spend the weekend in it I check all the pressures and hit the road. Fortunate for us it blew on a four lane with a convienent pull off area to make the tire change. In the process of blowing and discharging the rubber pieces we had some sheet metal tear just in front of the front trailer tire and it blew off the plastic trim piece that mounts to the slide above the wheels. We walked back down the road hoping to find that piece but never did. A changed tire a little duct tape, positioning some trim metal back into place a tire purchase in the next city and back on the road. Now its time for a permanent repair on the sheet metal. Anyone had to have any sheet metal fixed or replaced. I am in need of suggestions please. I suppose I can order the plastic trim piece for above the tire from my local Montana dealer.
Thanks in advance
Barry Mann

JBMANN52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Are you asking where to get the sheet metal? We had the curb side rear tire on our previously enjoyed 2000 3255 lose its tread, damaged the sheet metal, broke the fender, wiped out the lower rear panel. We contacted the tire company and they paid for damage repair which was done by our dealer.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Hi Sunshine, I should have posed a better question and you may have already answered it by stating that you dealer made the repairs. I did not know if sheet metal repair is a dealer service or should I contact Keystone about having it fixed at the factory, if they do repairs. Your tire that blew out was it less that 5 year old?
Thank you for the quick response
Barry
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
The tire company may not take care of the repairs due to the age of the tire. Have you considered letting your insurance co. take care of the problem?
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Barry, What sheet metal damage? Are you referring to the white aluminum wrap-around? I suppose it would take a new sheet which runs from the front under LP tank to slide, attached at side trim wrapped under and screwed to I beam. That would make it good as new...
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Service center, sadly, is not for this kind of trouble.

BUT, you can order a lot of this material from your dealer and have them fix or you can fix. I know it is possible to do, as I watched Bill of "adelmoll" do so at the Rally. Maybe Helen will happen along and be able to give you more specifics.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Thanks to all of you for the replys.
To Chuck (noneck) that is exactly the piece I have damaged, about 12 to 15 inches of it just forward of the front wheel is ripped. I wonder if that piece can be special ordered from Keystone??
Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #8

M.O.C. #2239
I just had the same problem this past July. That sheet metal runs around the storage compartment and up to the front of the lower section of your unit. Take it to the dealer for an estimate. Your unit is too old for the dealer to have those parts in his book and will have to get the cost from Keystone. My price for replacement of the sheet metal and the fender skirting was a little over $1200 dealer installed. You may want to contact your insurance company and have them cover it. Shipping from Keystone will factor into the price also.
Good Luck.

P.S. I bought 4 new tires as I don't want to go through that again. My tires were the ones that came with the unit and it's a 2002.

565568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:41 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You could have it made at a Sheet Metal Shop in your area, paint it and install it yourself for a lot less than what a dealer would want.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Barry,
I have a friend that had the same exact thing happen to him. (not a Montana) He contacted his insurance company, and after sending them pictures of what happened, they sent him a check. If you do this, you will probably have enough to have the dealer fix it, or even take it to the factory for the repairs. Whichever you do, good luck.
Rick
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We bought our 3255 in 2004, so the tires were 4 years old. We contacted the tire company first rather than our insurance company because we didn't want our insurance premiums to go up, which does happen, even if an incident is not your fault. Had the tire company not stepped up we would have gone through the insurance company. The dealer took care of the repairs so we did not have to worry about ordering parts and trying to repair damages ourselves.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, have a 3670. I, too, had a blowout that created damage. It was covered under the RV policy (less the deductible of course). The RV body shop ordered the entire panal from Keystone and replaced it and repainted to match. The panal comes in 14' lengths and is then cut to size. Unless you are good at body work, i.e., removing and replacing rivits, I would have it done by an RV body repair shop. The one I used was not an official Montana dealer, but their work was excellent (a friendly Montana salesman recommended them).

I felt as if I might be able do it, but it was covered and my patience and my free time at that point were both limited. The damage was on the streetside, not viewable in the signature picture.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Thanks to all who have replied. A local RV Dealer/Repair shop was recommended today just north of Atlanta and not too far from my residence. I called them and talked to one of the body shop managers and felt confident after the conversation that they would be able to make the repairs. I will take the Monty in for an estimate visit and see what they say. I agree with Stiles I feel like I could do the work but we will see how the estimate comes out.
Again Thanks
Barry