Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Loose Front Jack Motor?

While parking my Montana in the storage lot, I heard a loud repetitive clicking sound that maybe was a gear slipping as I lowered the Jacks.
The Jack Motor seemed "floppy" and holding it seemed to eliminate the noise...
Anyone else experience a loose motor and how did you "fix" it? It was late and getting dark and besides the motor housing screws I could not see how it was attached.
Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
For us, it clicked when EXTENDING the legs. For us, it was a slipping clutch in the motor.

Others will have other suggestions for you I am sure.

Our solution ended up installation of a second motor and re-work of all the goodies that put Tana up and down.

It was not a cheap fix, but it is one that we are delighted with.

Good luck finding out what YOUR situation and fix are.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have the same unit, and I think you will find that those motors are supposed to be "loose" like that, but the clicking noise does not sound good. Could be a stripped gear. If that is what it is, I would give Lippert Components Customer Service in Goshen a call, you likely won't get any warranty at this stage, but in the past they have been good at shipping parts promptly at "reasonable" prices.

If you want the ultimate fix, ask about a hydraulic system to replace the gear motor. ($$$$)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

We have the same unit, and I think you will find that those motors are supposed to be "loose" like that, but the clicking noise does not sound good. Could be a stripped gear. If that is what it is, I would give Lippert Components Customer Service in Goshen a call, you likely won't get any warranty at this stage, but in the past they have been good at shipping parts promptly at "reasonable" prices.

[s]This may be of some help Leg info[/s] (Tried to post a link to a Lippert pdf on leg operation. Did not work, but you should be able to find it on the Lippert Components web site)
If you want the ultimate fix, ask about a hydraulic system to replace the gear motor. ($$$$)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John

BAD URL

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

While parking my Montana in the storage lot, I heard a loud repetitive clicking sound that maybe was a gear slipping as I lowered the Jacks.
The Jack Motor seemed "floppy" and holding it seemed to eliminate the noise...
Anyone else experience a loose motor and how did you "fix" it? It was late and getting dark and besides the motor housing screws I could not see how it was attached.
Thanks!
Four us, the clicking sound was caused by a loose motor which, when it was raising or lowering the legs, would make contact as it turned. Every time it made one revolution, it would hit against the mount, thus the clicking sound. When you hold the motor you are preventing it from hitting against the mount. Dealer fixed it by making the motor more rigid in its mount. We don't worry about that any more.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had bad gears in the leg and posted these pictures.
I found there is some movement with the motor and reduction gear assembly since they are connected to the drivers side leg. That is their only mounting.
Not sure what the metal clicking sound is. I suggest you look at the square tube that connects the passenger leg to the motor. Look directly under the motor. The bolt that hold the square tube on the reduction gear shaft has a close clearance to the motor. Mine came loose and sheared. Others have had the same thing happen and call that bold a shear pin. Not sure it is correct but this the way it is.
That would be the first place I would look for a clicking sound. If that bolt is clearing fine then I suggest you pop the cap off the drivers side leg. Access is gained from the propane storage area. Look at the 45 degree gears and inspect for chipped teeth as shown in my pictures.
As stated the other possibility is the slip clutch in the reduction gear box slipping.
I suggest you contact Venture Mfg. Co., 3636 Dayton Park Dr., Dayton, OH 45414, Tel: 937-233-8792. They make the legs. Others have talked to the engineer and gotten great advise and support.

Let us know what you find out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
To followup,
I finally got back to the trailer in storage, reconnected the battery, wiggled the motor, and tried raising and lowering a few inches and could not duplicate the problem.
I was startled to see how much the Jack Motor and Gearbox moved when started, but no more interference or noise.
Thanks for all the advice, especially should a more serious problem arise someday!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had that problem the clicking noise and it was the safety clutch poping by due to me not lifting the rear legs up, I thought it was the gear box but it was what I said. it does float too as yours does, it sorta occolates a little when it is under load but not too bad when dropping.