Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Had another camper just down from us with the same problem. Motor struggling to raise or lower the gears.
Suggested that he oil the gear legs. He used a spray silicone to spay the legs down. Motor stopped struggling
and everything works great now. Try a little lube on the gear legs.

Joe

Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Found a 15 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
You should find a 30A (I think) in-line fuse in your front compartment if memory serves me. I had that one blow a couple of times on our 2008.

Found a 15 amp on a blue wire. Looked fine but I put a new one in just to make sure. No change.
Steve
Old 11-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #23
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Three things not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Is there any thing else 12 volt that is not working? I would not think all those things are on a single fuse.

Have you checked your battery?

Three things not working: Slides, landing gear, rear stabilizers.
Found out my old multimeter quit working. Have another ordered and will be here tomorrow. Will dig in earnestly tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #24
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Found grease fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hollars View Post
Had another camper just down from us with the same problem. Motor struggling to raise or lower the gears.
Suggested that he oil the gear legs. He used a spray silicone to spay the legs down. Motor stopped struggling
and everything works great now. Try a little lube on the gear legs.

Joe
Today I found the grease zerks on the front of the legs inside the propane compartments. Put in about 10 pumps of grease. I also determined the battery had a good charge.

Steve
Old 11-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #25
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Remote is a question

This business of the remote is somewhat befuddling. I have a remote. Haven't used it for anything but the radio. Does someone have a pic of the wiring in the front panel that applies to the remote. Ignorance is not bliss.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #26
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know about a Mountaineer, but some Montanas have/had a remote control system which allowed you to open/close slides, operate the awning, turn on/off the scare lights and, later on, operate the hydraulic jacks from a hand held remote. The brain for this system lives in the pass through compartment. It has a propensity to quit operating properly (i.e. switches no longer work).

If you have this system then there are other posts you need to read.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #27
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
Our 2010 295rkd had the same issue in 2017, in a remote spot in Alaska. The solution for for us was the same jumper around the ground of the module. A month or so later problem returned. Jumper around module positive connection.

PS, my controller was in the battery compartment. High up on the wall.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #28
BubbaLynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #10139
This might help you more than me trying to explain it to you.
The remote control module in ours is located on the back wall top right of the battery box.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515

And this is what the handheld remote looks like, "not the module" that is what they sell for a replacement... Our module looks like the one in the first link.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Remote-.../dp/B00YZ5C8EM
BubbaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #29
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Update to all

Gentlemen,
Right now I am under the weather and not able to do much. I have been given a lot of good ideas. One gentleman offered his phone number. I will be using all these resources. Right now this old man has a physical problem to get through. Thankfully I have several weeks to figure this out. On a better note I bought a Makita drill that is able to raise and lower the front.
Thanks to all,

Steve
Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #30
EJC
Established Member

M.O.C. #19429
If you hook up to the seven pin on your truck does anything work? If so it may be your on board battery is not up to full capacity or needs to be replaced.
EJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #31
Paul Mantz-Powers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11216
In the upper right hand corner of your Battery Bay, is the receiver of you remote. I realize that this sounds far out, but check to see if the reset button has tripped. If so it can have all kinds of weird effects on your rig.
Paul Mantz-Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #32
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
I would bet it's your battery that's not fully charged. Someone asked how old it the battery. Well????
If the battery is reading barely 12 volts, it's not fully charged. It should be reading at least 12.5 volts. While the battery cables are still hooked up and you're plugged into shore power, check the voltage at each battery post. They should read at least 13.5 volts if the converter is working. Then disconnect from shore power and check the battery again. This is where it should read 12.5 volts. If it doesn't, take it out and bring it to a auto parts store and have them check it.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #33
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Have you kept them greased? dry jacks don't work good!
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #34
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We have a 2010 Montana Mountaineer 326RLT. 3 hydraulic slides with electric landing gear and stabilizers and a remote which controls all. Last year our landing gear motor started laboring even when retracting. The dealer replaced the motor which didn't help. he lubed the legs which didn't help. Then he replaced the driver's side leg and the motor tried to run but the legs wouldn't move. They figured out that the new leg had reverse gearing. When the motor tried to run, one leg was trying to go up and the other was trying to go down. He didn't have a leg with the gearing that I needed, but he did have another leg with gearing that matched the new one he had put on, so he replaced my other leg also and everything worked. I don't remember if they used jacks or if we just left it sitting on the truck.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #35
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Hello and thanks to all.

Gentlemen,
I have not gotten the landing gear problem fixed and I have been a little under the weather. Thankfully I am in the same spot for awhile. Will begin updates as soon as I can. Thanks, Steve
Old 01-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #36
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Health better, Montana fixed

Hello All,
Health is some better now. Some of you other septuagenarians may understand when I say fixing things sometimes seems to be a little harder than it used to be. I hired a local fellow to come look at the problem with landing gear, rear stabilizers, and flickering lights. They were related of course. It looks like BubbaLynn and Carl nailed it. The problem was with the remote control module. The tech bypassed it and everything works fine. I am not going to quit fixing things myself, as a matter of fact dump valves are next, but is was nice to have the tech figure this out.

I want to thank every one who offered help here, you guys are amazing. It is good to have a group of guys who share an interest and are so willing to help a fellow traveler.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #37
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
X2 on EJC comment. I replaced the 2 deep cycle batteries in my rig this week--they were installed in 2014. I began to realize that the slide outs and landing legs were really struggling this summer but we got them to work. I believe the batteries were on their last leg and could not provide the needed current to power these two items. So--2 new batteries and things sure do work better even when we are not on any RV park power. I plan to replace my batteries every 4 years!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote