Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Converter Hissing

After winterizing my 3791RD and moving it inside my garage for the winter I removed the batteries, unplugged the inverter, and plugged it in using the power cord. I noticed that the converter now has a steady hissing sound. It’s been about three weeks now and still doing it. Everything inside works fine, in fact if I turn on one of the light switches in the control panel the hissing stops. Turned off it starts hissing again. Since it’s inside a secure garage I like to keep it plugged in so the electric clocks, the satellite tuner box, etc. stay on. Has anyone had this hissing sound after removing the batteries while plugged in?

Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you have the rig inside a building with it also plugged in, why did you remove the batteries when you have an excellent multistage battery maintainer in the built-in converter unit? Does the converter “hiss” when the batteries are in place and connected? Not sure why or what is causing this, but the converter should have batteries in the system for everything to function properly.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree with the previous post, My unit stays in a pole building when not in use. I never remove the batteries and it stays plugged in 24/7. I just check the battery water level every month or so. As stated your unit should have a multi stage converter to keep the batteries properly charged without over charging them.

You have ideal storage capabilities (only thing better would be heated), enclosed with electric (most only dream of the ability to have this). Put the batteries back in and keep an aye on the water level and all should be ok.

As far as the inverter, I have never had one but I assume there is no reason to keep it on when in storage.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Two different items he’s talking about... Inverter - is you have residential fridge it’s purpose is to invert DC to AC for fridge to run...

I’d have just turned the inverter off and cracked fridge doors open to air out fridge and prevent mildew..

Converter - supples DC to unit and charges / maintains batteries.. I’d have left batteries if and plugged into shore power and let it maintain batteries..

Just a monthly check on electrolyte level would be required. Remington batteries every year really ain’t needed if you have shore power.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before we went full time, the rig was stored outside in the Kansas wind and cold. It was plugged in and I left the batteries in with no issues whatsoever.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
I agree with most of the comments, however, the location of my garage is outside of town on another property I own and during bad winters I cannot access it sometimes for a couple of months. It’s at a higher elevation and gets tons of snow sometimes. I cannot keep an eye on the batteries, so I bring them home and keep them in a heated area of my cellar and put a trickle charge on them about every 5 weeks. I did the same for my two previous units but never had the hissing issue with the converter. It doesn’t seem to hurt anything but just curious why it’s happening. I do keep the inverter unplugged, but even with the inverter plugged in the converter still hisses.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I go for months at a time during the summer either plugged in at home or at a campground with no need to add water. The newer 3 stage converters don't try to cook the batteries near like the old single stage ones. What I'm saying is I'd not worry about water in your batteries in storage for a couple or three months, but you seem to have your routine. Since you didn't mention anything that uses 12 VDC in the first post ... just flip the breaker to the converter.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I would bet it has something to do with the battery not being there. I see no (good) reason to leave it plugged in while in storage with the batteries removed.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
Most likely the cause is your converter is attempting to supply 12v to a battery. It should have something to charge or leave some lights on as you said the noise goes away when one is on.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote