Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2023, 09:32 PM   #1
mapittm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23839
Cable hook up

We have a 2019 3121RL. We cannot get our Direct satellite to work in the bedroom or the living area unless we run direct wiring through the windows. Holiday World in Willis, Texas, can’t fix the problem. Any suggestions?

mapittm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:57 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What DTV setup do you have? Portable antenna, roof top mount, tripod mount, Genie, SWM or ??
Do you have KeyTV?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:24 AM   #3
mapittm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23839
We have a DirecTV tripod that we set up outside. It’s a standard-size HD dish with a SWM.
mapittm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:01 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we had Dish TV for our previous campers, I could never hook up the outside "cube" to the connection in the trailer. That connection was simply a coax connection on the outside and a wire just long enough to go through the wall and a connection on the inside of the wall. There was something about that connection that Direct TV did not like. And forget about hooking it up to the outside cable connections. That absolutely did not work.

We always just strung the wire through a window. Satellite signals are very picky. If the coax wire is not the right kind or the connectors are not the right kind, Dish TV just does not work. We found, the only Coax cable that worked also, was the cable supplied by Dish TV. Store brands of different types never worked.

That was several years ago, but it sounds like Dish TV hasn't changed anything there to make their system more user friendly. They really want you to be enslaved to their propitiatory technology.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #5
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
When I hooked my Wingard Traveler up, I had to change out the splitter that keystone put in. I replaced it with the same splitter they used at my sticks and brinks. Never had a problem with it. I don't have KeyTV. and I have dish for my provider.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapittm View Post
We have a DirecTV tripod that we set up outside. It’s a standard-size HD dish with a SWM.

You didn't answer if you have the KeyTV system or not. I don't remember exactly when it was introduced. Do you have a swirch plate near the bedroom TV that has a little button to power the OTA antenna (ON) or allow cable signals to pass (OFF). If so you don't have KeyTV (a good thing apparently).
NON-KeyTV - Here is the TV wiring diagram for the post 2010 Montanas. That is what I have and it works perfectly with DTV and SWM. I use the DTV splitter on the cable from the antenna and feed two outputs to the appropriate coach connectors (LR and Bedroom (which also will feed the basement)). You may want to remove the plastic panel around the convenience center to access the connectors and ensure they are tight.

KeyTV - The KeyTV system was designed to be used with DTV/SWM systems. The usual problem with it is bad cable connections. It really helps to have a "toner" so that you can trace the wires to find where they installed splitters. The "toner" will also help if you don't have KeyTV.

The KeyTV "Key TV Direct/Dish Schematics " manual is here in the Files section.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=31

The KeyTV "Key TV MSSC Troubleshooting Guide" is here in the Files section.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=34

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Just went through this. If you have Keytv you should be able to connect the main out on the satellite dish (assuming you have 2 output on your dish) to the sat input on the Keytv. Connect the receiver to the main TV sat output. The second output will have to go directly to the second receiver. Can't go through the trailer wiring. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad cable or connection. I had one cable that I had to replace. If you don't have Keytv then it's most likely your splitter, multi plexers, diplexers etc.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:17 PM   #8
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
Exactly what Carl n Susan said. I have 2017 3661RL. Same issues so I checked the connections behind the wall in the convenience center outside. Both the BR and LR cable connections were loose.
The splitter above the bedroom TV cabinet was also loose. I tightened both of these up and it has worked perfect for last 6 years. No issues
Good Luck and Happy Camping
2014 FORD 250 SUPERDUTY 6.7L 4X4 PLATINUM
Jon Susn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, directv, satellite, television, wiring