Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Nitrogen for Tires - pros/cons

I was getting a GY Marathon replaced in New Orleans and the guy who runs Southern tire suggested I put nitrogen in my tires. Said better gas mileage and less trouble maintaing pressure.
Anyone tried this?
Nick

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Air is 78% nitrogen already. Do they pull a vacuum on the tire then put nitrogen in to get an accurate 100%? Are you really getting 100% nitrogen? Do they have the proper equipment to make and compress nitrogen? I don't think so. These are the questions to ask the dealer/supplier. Lots of stuff on this, many people pay the price for nitrogen and then some one tops up with air. I will continue to run with air and correct pressures with no problems.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
NASCAR and Indy Race cars uses nitrogen because the tires run cooler and it maintains a more consistent pressure. Air craft tires uses nitrogen because of less moisture content and does not allow to freeze in tires causing out of balance upon landing. I work for a trucking company and we bought nitrogen generators for all our tire shops around the country and when we mounted new tires they were filled with nitrogen. Truck tires has a lot of pressure and prone to leak issues and the nitrogen being larger molucules slowed that down. Supposedly with tires running cooler and maintaining correct pressure the fuel milage was suppose to increase. We have since discontined that program since when away from our shops a tire needed air say at a truck stop or something it was not available. I believe the term I heard them use was "return on investment". Bottom line - if it is free - why not if you have to pay - reconsider.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I think using nitrogen for RV tires originated from using it for jet aircraft. It is dry so contains no moisture to freeze at low temperatures and contains no oxygen to oxidize the tires. I see little benefit for RV tires.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Con, waste of money and effort for return.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
This subject I do know about. After 31 yrs of racing, and working with tires to the 1/4lb. it is very critical. Nitrogen does make your tires run considerably cooler. When tires run cooler, they do not grow in size, which is critical in racing. This means if you ran nitrogen in your trailer tires it would help with the heat these tires get going down the highway on the very hot days. As I stated when tires get hot they grow in size, and stretch the tires etc. Stretching the radial tires on a trailer isn't good at all. But... and this goes along with what others say. It would be a benefit if you could run it all the time, but we can't, out on the road, unless of course you had a big tank you carried with you which is not practical. Once you start to mix air in with the nitrogen all benefits of nitrogen are lost.

I hope I explained this well, I tried.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Sound like a nut shell to me,,use air and its free and you can get it any where. seams like the main than is to keep the right air pressure and your good to go with just air.............does that sound right?
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
You explained it very well. with all the tire problems that trilers seem to have, I believe it is worth the cost of nitrogen for people that put a lot of miles on their units. Just the plus of keeping the tire temp down is worth it. And also as you say the loss of air is minimal with nitrogen so the odds of having to add air is low.This of course,goes all out the window if you have a major failure on the road.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I'm sure nitrogen has it's advantages in certain applications such as race cars, airplanes, and heavy equipment.

I'm also sure it's a great waste of money for the average user.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
CON. If you check the temp of your trailer and truck tires you will find that they run a lot cooler than you think. I chek tire and bearing temp every time we stop. Tires will get hotter just sitting in the sun than they do rolling down the road. I always check the sunny side first.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Where can you find what the average tire and bearing temp should be?
WHen I bought new tires they put in nitrogen free, I havent had to add air or lost a tire in a year now.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500, C/C does have Nitrogen in the tires and the only difference I have found the tires seem to maintain the same pressure. I haven't had to add air since we bought the Truck. However its being stored for the winter in a fully inclosed building and yesterday I got my monthly report from On-Star and the air pressure is the Same as the last 3 months. However for the advantage of having Nitrogen installed (Cost/availablity) I don't plan on going to Nitrogen in any other tires. We have a portable air compressor and whe have a full air system on the Freigtliner and have a quick disconnect for Air source at anytime so I really don't work about free air. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Since air is 78% nitrogen anyway, I have a hard time believing that going up to 100% nitrogen is going to have a very significant effect on performance for the normal user. I think we would be better served by paying close attention to normal tire maintenance and leaving the nitrogen for the extreme users.

I check my tire temperatures when we stop, and find that they run in the 90 to 110 deg F range, (depending on ambient conditions)
What I am really looking for is any one tire that is different from the rest, that would be my indication of a problem in the making.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
How about helium to make them lighter?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
If nitrogen holds tire pressure better, and since air is 80% nitrogen, any leakage would have to be the oxygen, CO2 and other gases. The remaining air in your tire would then be a higher percentage of nitrogen. If you refill with air at 80% nitrogen the new gas mixture in your tire would be more than 80% nitrogen. Over a period of time with numerous air top ups your tire would contain mostly nitrogen and you would get it without paying for nitrogen. I just can't believe nitrogen reduces leakage.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Since air is 78% nitrogen anyway, I have a hard time believing that going up to 100% nitrogen is going to have a very significant effect on performance for the normal user. I think we would be better served by paying close attention to normal tire maintenance and leaving the nitrogen for the extreme users.

I check my tire temperatures when we stop, and find that they run in the 90 to 110 deg F range, (depending on ambient conditions)
What I am really looking for is any one tire that is different from the rest, that would be my indication of a problem in the making.
Pretty much says it all!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote