Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Black Tank won't drain

My black tank will not drain. I open the valve and can hear water running but will not fill the sewer hose. Any ideas?

maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Get a clear plastic fitting so you can really see what's going on. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Make sure your other two tanks are closed, I would then depress the toilet flusher in the trailer, then send a small plumbers snake up the drain, however, watch out below......Possibly the rod that connects to the valve has come off. You may have to drop part of the belly to check it out......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Phil that's a scary recommendation. if he pokes upwards with a plumbers snake I can't imagine the mess of the effluent coming down in a full tank. I think if it is the valve, remove the undercovering to get to the valve and see if there's some way to get it slid open.

If the valve is open but there is a bolckage and if I was going to use a snake I would buy an extra down spout sewer fitting and knock out the plug where there is a hose bib (look at this example):

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/cat/898/250/898442.jpg

Note the hose bib. Then I would connect a hose to the fitting and hold the hose up higher than the black tank by a few feet, then use the snake all the way down the hose and up the drain hose to the black tank (good luck getting it finding a way to get it there). Then if you unplug the blockage and the effluent comes rushing down and you hold the hose up high hopefully the down rush will go into the sewer drain and not all the way up the hose. That's why the hose has to be up in the air as high as you can hold it (you will probably need a helper).

Otherwise it's Rid-X, or some other ways to dissolve the clog or a call to a professional plumber if that still doesn't work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Have you watched RV the movie? Haha! We have a clear plastic connector with garden hose connector that goe between sewer drain and s/hose. It allows for water at high pressure to be sprayed into sewer tank....if valve is opening.....successfully washing out any residue, which you can watch through the clear. Available at any camping supply. You probably already know this but just in case, after you restore system, never leave black water valve in open position as solids will stay liquids will go. Only open when needed so things stay in simi liquid state causing flow when valve is open.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Put my clear attachment on this morning. Getting some drainage so apparently the valve is opening. Will try the high pressure thing later on. Thanks for the input.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wow Phil that's a scary recommendation. if he pokes upwards with a plumbers snake I can't imagine the mess of the effluent coming down in a full tank. I think if it is the valve, remove the undercovering to get to the valve and see if there's some way to get it slid open.

Art, Hence the instruction to "LOOK OUT BELOW". After all, IT IS HIS EFFLUENT!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maphillips

Put my clear attachment on this morning. Getting some drainage so apparently the valve is opening. Will try the high pressure thing later on. Thanks for the input.
Look at Ozz's post on Earnhart's nicknames. In one of his photos is connector of which we speak.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
waltec

M.O.C. #11377
I had the same problem last year.Camping with the kids and to much toilet paper in the black tank and it plugged.
I just used a back-flusher and sure enough 2 mins later a huge wod of paper came flushing out.
Give the back flusher a try and hopefully that will work for you.
waltec is offline   Reply With Quote