Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
surge suppressor

I have an 06 3400RL and am wanting to install an on board surge guard but am not sure where to locate it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
jesse

jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This link has photos on my surge guard installation. Check both pages. The first post has one photo and the post on the second page shows three.
Please ask any questions if this referenced post it not clear.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I purchased my surge guard from Progressive Industries, via Tweety's. My 2006 3400RL has the fuse panel behind the toilet. I installed the surge guard in the space behind the fuse panel. I did this to reduce the need to purchase and install the #8 (I believe) wire from the fuse block to where ever I would have located the surge protector. The Progressive Industries surge protector has a remote unit for monitoring the power, so access to the unit is not required
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
To avoid the cost and trouble required is the 110 volt type surge guard addequit to stop most spikes to trailers electrical systems? I am using them at the refreg, tv, Apollo, and converter plug ins. With ease of use and cost, your thoughts?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The receptacle surge protectors your talking about do some but you will have to look at the specifications of each. The heavy duty surge protector I installed will trip with too high or too low of a voltage as well as the surge spike. By trip I mean open the relay taking the trailer off line. If you loose power it will also open the relay. When the power comes back on it has a 2 minute and 16 second delay before closing the relay. This design is to protect your air conditioner motors and compressors. With all the electrical items in the Monty I think the heavy duty one is worth the money. As with any accessory it is like insurance. Too costly until we need it then we probably did not have enough.
You have most of the items covered except the A/C and hot water heater.
I am not sorry I got mine.
Best of luck.
Cheers,
Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I never realized the power came into the battery compartment. I do not have a generator but it is prepped for one. Should I assume that the power into the switching unit is the center line as in yours?
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
If you have the IOTA switching box the circuit board has control panel labeled on it. That was how I confirmed which one I needed to pull. I think yes but that is the best check.
Check the photo with the close up to the wiring.
Sorry I did not notice this pose earlier.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe that anyone who ignores the installation of a surge guard of some sort, either permanent or portable, is asking for trouble. A lot of the older RV parks have very poor wiring and during electrical storms there are lots of voltage spikes. My experience has been that it only takes one time for a voltage spike to hit you when you don't have a surge guard of some sort. That one time will pretty much devastate your electrical appliances. Again, my experience only. It didn't happen to me but to a friend right next door. (I have a surge guard, he didn't, though he has one now!)

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the PT-50C portable protector.It was among the first things we purchased for the 06 3400.They are pricey but figure what you paid for your Camper. It has shut our 3400 down on several occasions due to C.G power problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have the same thing as John Kohl. Ours is installed in the basement by the computer system for the levelers. We got it because several years ago, we were camping in our SOB near St. Mary's, Florida when a terrible thunder storm came up - I know hard to imagine in Florida!!!! A couple next to us had just purchased a brand new motorhome for about $500,000. Their new motorhome was struck by lightening and all electrical systems fried. Ouch. I don't care how much warranty you have, it will never be the same. Like a car that's in an accident. So, we learned our lesson from them and we have the Surge Guard. We are very happy with our decision.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I prefer the portable vs the hard wired type. So simple if and when you upgrade to a bigger or newer 5th wheel. And its just plug and play, no wire cutting and or splicing. I agree ols1932 the surge protector is a must. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

We have the same thing as John Kohl. Ours is installed in the basement by the computer system for the levelers. We got it because several years ago, we were camping in our SOB near St. Mary's, Florida when a terrible thunder storm came up - I know hard to imagine in Florida!!!! A couple next to us had just purchased a brand new motorhome for about $500,000. Their new motorhome was struck by lightening and all electrical systems fried. Ouch. I don't care how much warranty you have, it will never be the same. Like a car that's in an accident. So, we learned our lesson from them and we have the Surge Guard. We are very happy with our decision.
Tammy
I do not believe this surge guard will protect from a "DIRECT" lightening hit but it will from spikes until it reaches the design limit. The odds of a direct hit are very small but transient spikes much higher. Since I have one I felt it was cost effective and proper insurance.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #13
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I installed mine close to the power panel which was in the washer & dryer closet I had easy access to the main wire going to the power box.One suggestion would be in install the surge guard verticle,instaling it horizontale will sometimes cause the unit to hum
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We don't have one yet but as soon as the sticks and bricks sells we will. What we do have is a 950 watt APC unit in the back of the entertainment center. Everything up there is plugged into it. The HDTV, the DVR, the DVD/Home Theater system, the Hughes Sat. Modem, and the Lynksys router. Even if we take a hit it will be taken out by the APC or if the power goes south everything keeps running like normal for about a half hour. I also have a smaller one for the laptops. Granted if we do take a spike we will lose the micro, the fridge, the water heater and the front tv but we will still have entertainment as the service guys fix all the other stuff
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
For anybody looking for a portable 50A surge guard, they are around $450 in CW, I paid $275 (don't know what they are now )here: https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/index.cfm
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I took a surge last year in Nashville and lost everything including my converter and power panel.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
This may be a stupid question,if I buy a 50A protector can that be adapted down to a 30A when needed or do I need two separate ones?
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is not a stupid question. I think most of them can with the normal 50 to 30 plug adapter. Our EMS PT50C can be used that way and we have many times.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #19
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Rich, I appreciate it.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jack, I have the same unit at Richfaa and use it with 30 and 50 amp. You just need to have the correct adapter cords....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote