Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
SPONGY FLOOR

Has anyone had any problems with the floor in the slide feeling spongy? I have an 2008 3400RL and noticed the floor under the dining table seems soft making the table unstable. You have to be real careful when you sit down or the table shakes so bad that things on top of the table will spill. Would I be able to strengthen the floor somehow perhaps with a piece of 5/8" plywood? Is there crossbraces or something to secure the plywood to? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Another thing that has been problematic is the refrigerator (Dometic Model RM2862). The temperature is either too cold and freezes everything or warms up too much. I have noticed that in the daytime when the temperature outside is in the 70's, and I have the fridge set at 5 (top setting), the fridge temperature warmed up into the 40's. I know that if the outside temperature is hot, that the fridge is harder to keep cool, but there should not be a problem when the outside temperature is only in the 70's.

Any information on these two issues would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There was a discussion on this recently, which I cannot seem to put my mouse button on, ----------- sigh, maybe some other MOC remembers what thread it was and can post the link here.

This is a design or materials problem, which has been discussed with several management people at Keystone/Montana Division by yours truly and Al. The problem has been showing up for a couple of years now.

This is one major situation that will keep us from upgrading, other than $$, but of course. I have said this before here at MOC, no new news. SIGHHHHHHHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dan and Darlene, we have the same problem and it's very irritating. Neither of our prior Montanas had this problem. I was told by Keystone they went to a thinner but stronger flooring base in this slide. I think it was a mistake. As you said, if you have a full glass of liquid sitting on the dining table and you move onto or off the slide it can cause it to slop over. We've had friends a bit startled when they step on that floor. I have wondered what they think of Montana quality when this occurs.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Steve:

After sizing up the situation and taking some measurements, I've decided I am going to pick up a 4X8 sheet of 9/16" plywood and cut it down to 36" wide by 8'long. I plan on unbolting the table from the existing floor and sliding the plywood under the carpeting and insulation, right on top of the existing plywood. If you keep the plywood back approximately 10" from the edge of where the carpeting overlaps with the main floor carpeting, it will allow the carpeting to lay down flat. I'm heading off to Lowe's now and I will let you know if this solves the problem.

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have the same problem, and started a thread on that a couple of months back. I have checked units at RV shows and on the dealer lot, some had it, some not. I was told that the slide has 2 layers of 5/8 osb and it SHOULD NOT do that, yeah right. You ave a 40" span with no bracing and put a couple of hundred pounds in the middle, it will sag. I can set my dining chairs 2 inches apart and step in the middle of that area and the tops of the chairs will touch. We have had no luch with dealers and plan on visiting the factory again this spring and have them look at it.

We checked several SOB's at the recent show, Keystone made units seemed to be prone to that, SOB's (all of them) did not. Gives me pause for thought for when we upgrade, that and the poor R values that Montanas have.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummmm.. Our built in April of 06 3400 does not have the problem that bad, The floor over the long slide does give a bit if you sort of bounce on it but i noted the same efffect of SOB's with the long slide. That slidey thing on the fridge vanes will help control the temp. I forget which way is which.....Helllppp..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Thanks to everyone for your input. I went to Lowe's and purchased a 4X8 sheet of particle board (5/8" thick) and had them cut it down to 3X8. I rounded off the sharp edges. After moving everything out of the way, I lifted up the carpeting and insulation and put the particle board on top of the existing plywood floor and pushed it as close to the back as I could (within 1" of outside walls). I then rebolted the table down and noticed a significant difference in the stability of the table. You can feel a little rise under the carpet but you can't see it, it looks great and sure makes a difference in the firmness of the floor. I plan on putting another piece under the sofa. It's not really necessary, but it will bring up the other end of the sofa to where it should be.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Great idea.

I have certain spots on my floor that are spongy, but not under my table. I read where someone added laminated wood flooring on top of the linoleum and that added firmness.
I think the units with an actual dinette bolted to the floor might hav a little more firmness.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Dan, nice job but you should not have to do that. Our new Big Sky is just three months old. THEY are going to fix it. We have the exact same problem with our slide. For the amount of money we had to pay for this it will be fixed by them and not by me. Sooner or later somebody at Keystone is going to have to start taking responsibility for quality control. Most of the screws that were installed in the inside that hold the curtains down and the strings for the D/N shades were or are stripped out because someone got in a hurry and ran the drill too long when putting the screws in. In some of the areas there are as many 3 sets of ripped out holes. Hold the dealer's feet to the fire and get Keystone to repair everything... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That slidey thing on the fridge vanes will help control the temp. I forget which way is which.....Helllppp..
Higher will make it colder. Think of it this way... warm air rises, so the higher in the fridge, the warmer the temperature. And the sooner the thermistor will think it's time to cool things off.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent idea, Dan. I think I will borrow your idea, if you don't mind. I won't need to do the sofa end, however, as we swapped the sofa location with the recliner location. And have just one recliner in here.

How hard is it to pull up the carpet and to get it back in place. Do they use tack strips like in a home?

Exnavydiver, good luck. When ours was new I complained loudly. They found ours did have bad plywood with a soft spot so they dismantled and rebuilt the floor in that slide. So then we had what ours was supposed to have in the first place. And it has this big sag when any adult steps on that floor.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Excellent idea, Dan. I think I will borrow your idea, if you don't mind. I won't need to do the sofa end, however, as we swapped the sofa location with the recliner location. And have just one recliner in here.

How hard is it to pull up the carpet and to get it back in place. Do they use tack strips like in a home?

Exnavydiver, good luck. When ours was new I complained loudly. They found ours did have bad plywood with a soft spot so they dismantled and rebuilt the floor in that slide. So then we had what ours was supposed to have in the first place. And it has this big sag when any adult steps on that floor.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As I stated in another thread, the fridge thermistor is easy to remember. Up = North Pole = Cold Down = South to Florida = Warm!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Steve:

I didn't have to pull up the carpet to put down the piece of particle board. All you have to do is lift up the edge where it overlaps and under it you can see a layer of silver covered insulation. If you lift this up you will see the original plywood flooring. You will only be able to lift this up a couple of inches because the carpet is attached on the sides of the slide. Between the silver insulation and the plywood flooring is where I placed the particle board. Once you have it in place, you will notice a significant difference in the stability of the floor. Just try to push the particle board in as close to the outside walls as possible. You should be able to get it within one inch from the wall both on the side and back of the slide. Also, by using a piece of particle board 36 inches wide, this allows the carpet to lay flat on top of the existing carpet when the slide is out. Hope this works for you. We sure are happy with the results.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Rich,
I use this to remind me which way the thermister needs to be positioned on the fins:

Up(North) is cold, Down (South) is warm.

Hope that helps,
Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent, Dan. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I guess its time for me to put my two cents worth in too. I got my 3400RL probably a month after Steve R. got his and noticed the same floor problem shortly after the MOC rally in Goshen. I contacted Daryl at the service center and made my way back to Goshen from Charleston, SC so that they would fix it. They did and I'm happy now. Thanks everyone for the neat memory thingees for the refrigerator.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #18
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
hey everyone, i have noticed that most of the trailers that all of you are referencing are newer, i am having this same problem in my 05. just found this and extremly disappointed with this issue. i like the fix the the OP came up with, but this is something that we the customers should not have to deal with. will let you know if i come up with anything to help alleviate this issue. thanks
pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote