Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
coupe31
Established Member

M.O.C. #6994
GOODYEAR MARATHON TIRES

Has Goodyear got its act together on their trailer tires? I had problems a few years back on my old trailer. I want to replace the Mission tires but not sure what to put on.

coupe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I read that Goodyear moved the manufacturing of these tires back to the US (from China), but I don't know if that's a fact or wishful thinking.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
On another forum (NOT rv.net), the word is that the GY Marathons are not good, the GY 614s are great.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had lots of trouble with Goodyear Marathons but haven't used them since early 2006 so cannot comment on the newer ones. We replaced ours, at the time, with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A in an LT size. We had good luck with them. Our current Montana came with Missions and were replaced under warranty by Tireco with Freestar tires. So far, so good, with the Freestars but only time will tell.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Steve,

On another thread I mentioned that after having all Mission tires replaced with Freestar, we had our first Freestar blowout about a month ago. After giving Tireco the DOT number, they agreed to replace the blown tire, but not the other 4.

While looking at their website, I also noticed that Mission was no longer mentioned. Although the Freestar brand is still listed on the Tireco website, it has no links attached to it. When I asked the customer service rep about the apparent website problem (suggesting to me they were also going out of business on Freestar) they had no answer.

Just a matter of time before you will also be looking for replacements of the Freestar!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Marathon tires are made in China.Reading thru many threads here on the MOC relates some Marathon owner experiences.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Marathon tires are made in China.Reading thru many threads here on the MOC relates some Marathon owner experiences.
I don't know if that's still true:
http://www.myrvtalk.com/tires-wheels...-made-usa.html
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...oduct/R15205GY

It's confusing!! Maybe some sizes are made here and others in China, or maybe Goodyear moved production back here after having problems. Best bet is to check the sidewall!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote