Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Cell Phones and Telemarketers

Went through this problem a few weeks ago. Telemarketers calling on my cell phone. Verizon says they don't have the technology yet to stop them. Well, we thought we fixed my problem but I just got another a few minutes ago.
When these people call, stupid me answers, and it uses up my minutes.
Other than changing my phone number, I can't stop it.
Never, never put your cell number down as a contact number on anything. Some companies sell your telephone numbers to telemarketing companies. At least that's what Verizon tells me.

Carol

I'm not answering another strange area code number. This one was from Kansas.

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I might be wrong about this, but I thought there was a no call list for cell #'s like there is for our land lines. Wish I had more info for you. Maybe someone else on MOC will know if I'm remembering correctly.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
There is a # to call but I can't remember what it is. I just got another e-mail on it and saved it in my other computer before it crashed. Doesn't help me now. I hope someone else has it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
www.donotcall.gov

Carol

They were selling magazines.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
When you register with donotcall.gov the calls will stop. The catch is that it usally takes about 90 days to go into effect. Good luck...
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The national "do not call list" is 1-888-382-1222.
This is the one we use.
Our home phone and both of our cell phones are on that list.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Chuck and Carol:
Thanks for the link.I just put both our cell phones on it.
I had our home phones, but never thought to put the cell #s.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 AM   #8
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Well, finally had to change my phone number. Someone was giving it out over the internet to companies. They were calling left and right and I just couldn't stand it. They were leaving messages etc.

Just watch who you give your cell phone number to. Some companies will give it out to another business --- just like your home phone number. I will never put it down as a secondary contact again.

Carol
Old 04-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
We called the do not call list number about a 1.5 years ago and we stopped having a problem.
Now, I'm wondering if I can put our business phone number on it, because it is Really aggravating to have those calls at the store when we're busy with our customers. It's gotten so bad, I don't want to answer the phone anymore and alot of times, it's not even a person, but a computer talking!! I think I'll call right now!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In over six years of full timing, using a cell phone (actually two different numbers), we have not had even one telemarketer call. We registered both phones on the "do not call list." We have, however, received a few wrong numbers and some from fax machines.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
The straw that broke the camel's back when a company in Florida called and wanted to know where to send the diabetic supplies I was interested in trying. I am not diabetic. This was human diabetic supplies not animal. I asked them where they got the phone number and they said on the internet. They had gotten an e-mail. I never give out my cell number over the internet. I had someone tell me the same thing last week. This is too weird.

So I called Verizon. They were going to charge me $15.00 to change my number until I threatened to go to another wireless company. Then they said they would waive the charge.

Several people at my Mother's nursing home had my cell number for emergencies. That's the only place that I can think of that I gave it out to.

Carol
Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Lisa,
I have listed my business phone on the list but it is not suppossed to work that way. Still, it cut down on the calls. If I get a call from a real person, I interrupt and very firmly tell them to put us on their don't call list. If it is a recording, I just lay the phone down (Not cell) or hang up (cell) Altogether, we are down to maybe one call every sixty days.

Bear in mind that there are exemptions to the do not call rules. Anyone who has your number because you have done business with them can call
and,
Politicos. I can hardly wait until the next election cycle starts and all of those fake survey calls come in.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I did the same as Orv did and no more calls.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
DITTO WHAT ORV SAID.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
We don't get too many calls but I kind of enjoy pulling their chain when I do get one. I even used an variation of the murder investigation scenerio that was posted here a while back. The caller was in India and had been bugging me about a Medicare upgrade (Ha!) When I got done with him all I heard was a click and he has never called back.

I guess I just like to aggrevate them.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Mini boat air horns work real well for the ones who won't shut up. Also if you have a grandkid around say 3-4 yo, just hand them the phone. You reverse the roll on the person and they hate to hang up.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote