Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Aluma Tread Replacement Steps

We really would like to replace our OEM steps with the Aluma Tread system from LCI. Has anyone done this? My problem is that the distance between the mounting brackets on the trailer is 27" the Aluma Tread need 28". Does this make it a no go for this upgrade? Can a dealer move the step brackets?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
These rv techs aren't to innovated.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Lippert installed those on our 2010 and when we said that the Moryde steps that were on our 2017 were a deal breaker, Keystone sent the dealer a kit to convert back to normal RV steps and that's what they sent so we have them on our new rig also. I never installed either set so I can't answer the installation question, but yes we had them on our last two Montana's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
On closer look at the OEM steps they were made by a company called Elkhart Tool in Indiana, not Hickory Springs or not Lippert. That's why they are 27" and not the more standard 27 1/2 or 28" Has anyone ever heard of this company, their website shows that make some miscellaneous RV parts. I could even find my magical 27" quad steps listed.

Not to give up I did a google search for 27" aluminum quad steps and to my amazement, a link to Amazon of all places appeared. I followed it and to my surprise was the 27 " aluminium quad steps that is made by of all places Elkhart Tool! The only thing is that they are not featured on their website. I need to call them to see whats up. Again, has anyone ever heard or dealt with Elkhart Tool?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I bought new 4 step steps last year because they fit in the existing framework. I think they may have been Elkhart Tool. But during research, I think I determined Elkhart Tool made the Hickory steps previously. My memory is a bit fuzzy tho.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thanks for the information. I solved my problem, Elkhart Tool makes an aluminum step that looks just like the LCI and it is the magical 27" and since it is based on the exact frame as the steel quad steps, the bolt pattern is an identical match, 1/2 hour swap out at most.