Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Ian Denny

M.O.C. #1621
Slides in cold weather

I had problems bring in my large slide. The temperature was ~ 28 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning when we brought the slides in to leave. The bed room and kitchen slides retracted no problem but when it came to the living room slide the largest one at about half way in the reset able breaker blew after it reset (10 seconds) the slide retracted slowly.

Is this normal when operating in cold weather? Or should I be taking it in for warranty work.

Does anybody used the slides in the 0-5 degrees Fahrenheit range?

Ian Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've brought ours in with temperatures in the upper teens without noticing anything different than in warmer temperatures. I think I'd have this one checked out. Good luck with us. Let us know what happens.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Ian Denny

M.O.C. #1621
Was out at the 5th wheel today, Temp. was ~ 35 degrees. Openned up the slides no problems. Sprayed with dry graphite I will check them next week should be down in the low teens. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I asked your question to the previous owner because I have not yet experienced cold weather operations. He stated that when the temperture got below 30 degrees, that it was necessary to work the slides a bit to get them to retract. I was thinking about maybe taking a hairdryer to the reservoir to warm the fluid. Hmmmm...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The temp of the fluid should not be an issue. I think it's the stiffness of the gaskets around the slide that puts extra friction on the sides that causes the sluggishness. A good lube job on thr rubber gaskets goes a long way in the smoothness of the slide operation.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:50 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
One other possibility: battery. Cold and/or low charge could have the effect you describe.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Mine does the same thing when its cold. Dealer replaced the breaker, but still stops at least once when brining in the last/largest slide. After a few seconds all is fine and works like it was mid summer. Battery fully charged, and slides properly lubed, still stops. Soon we will be south and hopefully warmer weather. I have an extra breaker, and at least for now not worried about the slides stopping in the cold. Will keep you posted if something bad breaks.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
Ian Denny

M.O.C. #1621
Was out again at the 5th wheel, Temp. was 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Opened up the all 3 slides the breaker did reset a few times. However since I have sprayed with dry graphite the opening and retraction was very smooth. I don't plan opening them in much colder weather than this anyway.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
ron s., could you please tell me more about this breaker. location, ect. thanks norm
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
Ian Denny

M.O.C. #1621
Ron, The location of mine are in the battery compartment lead runs from the + side of the battery to two 12v reset able breakers (automatic reset) then to connection on the hydraulic drive motor.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:19 AM   #11
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
hodag my breaker is as Ina has posted above. Its a small black rectangle thing with two threaded screws, mounted on the wall to the left of the slide motor. I have been told by dealer that they only make one size as I asked for a larger amp. After we get to Texas in Feb I will check all the connections as this forum also tells of this happening because of loose connections.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:25 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
RonS, your dealer is incorrect. When we first got our 3295RK we had trouble with the breaker tripping several times when moving the slides. The dealer contacted Keystone who told him it had the wrong size breaker installed. Keystone sent a larger breaker and we've not had a single recurrence of this problem in two years. I haven't looked closely at the breaker but would bet it's a pretty standard off the shelf item for marine and other use.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #13
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Steve - Thanks for the info, will call keystone in the morning. Ron
Old 12-07-2004, 04:48 AM   #14
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Called Keystone, and was told that they only use one size breaker, but their are two of them and they do go bad. When changing, both should be replaced. Have an appointment with dealer for other work Dec 9th so will have them check to see how many I have and also check the connections. The customer service guy at Keystone said when in storage the slides should be in and battery disconnected. This is different than what dealer has told me. I have had it plugged in and slides out for 10 months when not going down the road, even when we are not using it. Maybe thats why the large slide stops when coming in??? Only had to add water to battery once, and keep every thing lubed.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the info, Ron. Either my dealer told me wrong or it's changed since ours was new.

Are you saying the slides were out for 10 months without being moved or that you left them out when the rig was not in use and not going down the road? If the latter, that's no different than we fulltimers except we're in the thing with slides out when not on the road. Ours has been in this mode for 20 months plus.

Do the slides seem to be properly aligned? Does each slide seem to come in evenly on both its sides?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:20 AM   #16
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Steve - When we return from a trip, the Big Sky goes under a car port, gets pluged into 30amp and the slides are put out, and stays that way until our next trip. Went to the dealer yesterday for minor warrenty fixes, while in his heated shop he had the slides lubed (Agin) checked the breakers, battery, and conections, hit the slide control and it came in without stopping, by then it had been in his heated shop for several hours. I'm convinced that it has something to do with the cold weather. I'm not concerned about it for now as Keystone has it recorded, in case I have a later pump problum when my 1 year warrenty expires end of next month. Next trip is to Texas in Feb for a couple months, see how it acts in warmer weather.
Ron
Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #17
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Good morning, everybody.

Each of you need to know that temperature does have an affect on the fluid. If the fluid is cold, it will not flow as easily thru the pump and the rest of the system as it would if it was at room temperature. The 12 volt motor that turns the pump is rated to draw as much as 100 amps. Keystone typically installs a 50 amp auto-reset breaker to protect the motor.

One of the things that you can do is to keep the fluid level in the tank at 1/2" to 1" from the fill cap. You can use ATF Dexron 3 or Mercon. It has better flow characteristics at extreme temps. It is also the same viscosity as the clear fluid that was put at the factory. The only thing that is going to happen is, you will change the color of the fluid pink so you can see it easier thru the side of the plastic tank.

Next, do as RonS suggested. All of the wire connections need to remain tight.

If the circuit breaker continues to pop, you can safely add a second breaker in parallel to the first. It would be a good idea to do an amperage draw test on the motor to determine what amperage breaker you need to add in (parallel). However, do not exceed 100 amps. If the motor continuously draws more the 100 amps, it may be ready to burn out and needs to be replaced. If it peaks over 100 amps for a short period of time and then comes down to say, 70 or 80 amps, it will be fine. You simply need to add a 20 or 30 amp breaker to the first.

If that is the case, you will be able to contact Keystone or Lippert Components slide out service and get the whole pump replaced at no cost. Especially if the coach is a 2003 and newer. The slide system components on you coaches are warrantied for 5 years thru Lippert.

I know that somewhere in you coaches, especially on the side of the tank, is an 800 number to call Lippert. We (er) they are more than delighted to help you answer any questions or correct any issues you may to address.

We (there I go again) are located right between Keystone's Customer Service Building and the Holiday Inn Express in Goshen, Indiana.

Everyone have a safe and happy new year and please, enjoy your Montanas.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:16 AM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
You, er they, sure seem like nice folks to do business with, and your post is one of the most helpful I have seen. Thanks to you and to them.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:42 AM   #19
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
MIMF,

Excellent post. Thanks for the input.

The only thing I might add is the added (1st) stiction and (2nd) friction on the pistons caused by the seals in colder temps. This creates a higher load for the pump to overcome.

I also noticed in your "Profile" your a man to be admired. Knowledgeable, Full time job and Married. Not bad for someone only 13 years old. LOL

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Yup! Other than not knowing when I was born, I can't spell, either.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote