Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #21
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Agree. Looks like it could be Tunnel 4 or 5 on the Needles Highway.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mmgeol

This is on the Needles Hwy in the Black Hills. I used to drive Grey Line tour buses through those tunnels in the mid 70's and saw a lot of crazy things, but nothing this bad. I had a box full of marker lights and broken mirrors from smaller RV's that I showed the tourists to heighten the thrill of the tunnels. This is a great lesson on how not to do things. Luckily no one was hurt helping out.

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
So I guess when we're out that way this Summer us with our Dually and 40' SOB and Friends with their 40' MH and toad had better stay off that highway!! Don't want to end up on You-Tube.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The title of the video is priceless--"OLD GUY...." Who is that?? Or is it always an "OLD GUY..."!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

After completing our trip to Florida and observing a couple unsafe RV folks along the way, this video doesn't shook me in the least. We were only on I-10 for a couple of hours but it was windy so you had to pay attention. The first idiot was pulling a long TT with a Tahoe. The Tahoe was extremely overloaded with the rear about 6" off the ground. He was weaving and fish tailing back and forth so much he was going off onto the should constantly and into the left lane! Traffic was actually backed up because you had to pick your timing to gun it and get around him. A few miles down the road here comes a new SOB fiver (young family with kids) running between 80 and 85! It is not too hard to see how the RV community can get a bad reputation sometimes.
I agree!

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

The title of the video is priceless--"OLD GUY...." Who is that?? Or is it always an "OLD GUY..."!
Joyce and I laugh at each other constantly. Everytime we go to the store we marvel at how it's full of "old folks". Good thing we never look at the mirrors in our rig
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

Joyce and I laugh at each other constantly. Everytime we go to the store we marvel at how it's full of "old folks". Good thing we never look at the mirrors in our rig
I know what you mean. I sit on the bed every night and look at the mirrored closet door and say "who is that old man looking back at me"?
I used to think that young girls were flirting with me until I realized they we just being kind to an old man. I'm not taking old age well.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
OLD AGE IS NOT FOR THE WEAK
Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Amen Brother....
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yup, it was very tough when I first discovered that I'm not the man I never was.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I was waiting for the winch cable to snap. Lots of good intentions and plenty of bad judgement to go around.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #31
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Shoot me if I ever get myself into that kind of a bind. I just can't see how he did it unless he forgot or couldn't swing out for the curve.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #32
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

I was waiting for the winch cable to snap.
Me too! Especially when he was straddling it...YIKES!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #33
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Even if missing the warning signs, when I saw the first single lane tunnel I would have stopped. By the sounds, they passed thru several of those narrow tunnels before getting hung up on that curve.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #34
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

Shoot me if I ever get myself into that kind of a bind. I just can't see how he did it unless he forgot or couldn't swing out for the curve.
If you look at the skid marks he was going way too fast and my guess would be a car was approaching the curve in the other lane. On the other hand you do have to go fast if you expect to be able to shear your AC cleanly
Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #35
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Actually the skid marks appear to be from the rear tires of a dually. His truck is an SRW.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #36
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
I can only imagine the comments from the navigator as all this was taking place. Got really feel sorry for the guy but you also have to ask your self what he could have been thinking when he drove into that tunnel. I think that is the road to Mount Rushmore and yes they do warn you of very restricted tunnels.

I bought a Rand RVND just to avoid this kind of accident but I still get a little concerned when I go through a tunnel or under pass.
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #37
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The skid marks seem too far apart to be from a dually. I think it was this SRW truck. On a turn, if the front tire are skidding along with the rear tires, then this pattern could happen. There is no pattern for the outside tires skidding because the lean is on the inside where there would be more weight transfer causing the inside tires to skid. Probably going too fast, couldn't make the turn and the skidding implies lost control so the Monty ended up off the road, since on a sharp turn the trailer is way inside a right turn.

The point being is this Monty is in the wrong place. The "wife(?)" of the driver admitted they missed signs, so there you have it. Signs and laws are intended for honest, responsible, common sense people. Every one else becomes an accident victim, statistic, or criminal. Then you've got the same concern for people trying to help them, too. But at least it got cleared.

I had a friend on the freeway, and his work vehicle just flat out died for some unknown reason in the middle lanes of a city interstate. The CHP showed up and tried to use the cruiser's big front cow catcher to shove the car to the shoulder, then my friend had to yell at him to let him release the parking brake cuz the tires were skidding bad (he had set the e-brake to prevent the vehicle from moving too far in case someone had hit him from behind). The CHP officer didn't even think to check for that - another example of someone trying to help but not thinking it all out and possibly causing more damage in trying to more the vehicle out of harm's way. But he was allowed in the vehicle where he released the ebrake, and steered to the shoulder as the cruiser moved him off the lanes. Of course, no matter, the traffic was still backed up from everyone trying to glance at what was going on.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #38
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
According to the lady in the post who claimed it was them, they had passed through 2 tunnels on their way up, he had managed to turn around and was going back down when this happened.

The skid marks appear to start about where the red car is sitting and I don't believe they have anything to do with this occurrence. For the TV to have made those it would have had to have been in a partial jack knife slide and they remain the same distance apart all the way which is unlikely. I do not believe there is any way they came from the RV either.

We have no way of knowing how much maneuvering he did before he was being filmed. In the opening shot he has plenty of room between the RV and the railing, had he tried backing with the TV in the proper attitude he might have been able to back straight back, rather he cramped the wheels the wrong way forcing the back of the RV right where he would not want it to go.

There were a lot of things that were just plain bad and dangerous going on, the "take charge guy" was an idiot, the kind you never want to have stop and offer to help you out.
I don't see how they wiped out the front AC and did not bother the rear one, but it really is only speculation about the AC as the pictures are not close enough to determine if there was a front AC.

I do feel for the "old guy" though, but glad to be able to "armchair" the possibilities from a distance.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Edward said one of the most profound things about witnessing this situation as not only a bystander but even more comfortably, as a viewer of the recording of it! Monday Morning Quarter Backs and Armchair judges as we are, have the very fortunate opportunity to learn from a safe place.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #40
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
One thing that still concerns me, even after several years with a smaller 5th wheel, is trying to turn a rig that size around on a two lane road. Even if there is a pullout, it can be a challenge. Poor planning is definitely the cause of this situation, but can you imagine how this guy must have felt as he came up to the first tunnel and there was nowhere to turn around??? I'm not sure what I would have done, but I hope I would have stayed on the road and tried to remain calm. I'm sure that first tunnel that caused damage probably rattled him pretty good! I'm sure glad no one was hurt. Stuff can be replaced or repaired, but if someone got hurt it could have been so much worse!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote