Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Dui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10850
Canoe and/or Kayaks on roof

Anyone done this? I have pads for the canoe but imagine to strap it down one would need to install some supports so you could tie down. Any products suggestions? I guess also vertical clearance might be an issue.
Thanks in advance...
Dui

Dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a friend that has his strapped to a rack on top of his truck. I think he used a ladder rack from JC Whitney and straped it to that with a T bar from the front of the truck.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you mean strapping them to the tow vehicle there are quite a few companies that sell rack systems (gutter, non-gutter) that will then provide rails to attach the supports for carrying the canoes or kayaks. Yakima, for example. Most people put these on the truck's cab as far forward to avoid contact with the trailer when towing.

Can you describe the pads you are talking about? This might make it easier to refer what company provides the rack and rail systems.

DO NOT put these on top of the fifth wheel. The trailer is already at the height limit for most States. If you have a bumper tow you might make it, but with the wind forces and height requirements you might want to fasten these to the tow vehicle, plus it will be a lot easier to remove. Avoid the trailer's ladder.

Here is a website you can start with. You'll probably need a system that carries the canoe/kayaks as far forward as possible. There might also be a concern if your canoe/kayaks are very long to not interfere with the trailer behind you especially on sharp turns.

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We installed a hitch receiver on the front of our Dodge Ram and carry our kayaks on the roof
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I use a Yakima rack. You just have to be careful that you keep the boats far enough forward that they do not hit the front cap on the Montana when making sharp turns.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like CasaDelSol's idea. A front hitch means you can put the rear vertical T brace that normally fits in a rear receiver, but now it's in front of the engine and along with the cab's roof, the kayaks and canoes can be plenty forward. I believe this is legal because you'll only have the one vertical pole in your view and the boats will be above the roof and your view. I see delivery trucks with rack systems that have two poles in the front corners driving around, sometimes with two poles, so I would guess this is okay.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
That's right Art. I wasn't sure at first when Dave suggested it, but we see commercial vehicles with the same setup. We only have the one pole in front like you said and the kayaks sit far enough forward so they don't interfere with the Monty turning radius. It works for us. When we don't bring the kayaks, we put the bicycles on the front instead.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow get our kayaks through the door to put them in the trailer until I can work out something better.

On the roof of the trailer doesn't appear possible due to height issues, and getting them up there sure would be a pain!

Eventually I'll probably have to get a front hitch and put a vertical T brace (like Art suggested) there and one roof rack on the cab of the tow vehicle.

The one kayak is short (10') but the other is longer (13+') and I've got my eye on something even longer, someday. It should be interesting! But that is off in the future.

Nice thing about living in Florida is there are *LOTS* of places to camp within a reasonable drive of home, and *LOTS* of places to kayak. DW and I hope to be doing a lot of both starting this Fall.
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
This is the site for the loader that I use it will give you some ideas on mounting something for your kayaks. My loader will handle boats from 10' to 16' with no trouble.

http://www.loadit.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Don....nice setup. Do you have a motor or do you use a trolling motor? If a motor, what size do you have and how do you store it?
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have a 9.9 hp and a 15 hp Evenrudes. I mostly use th 9.9 and this year I bought a Minn Kota 45 lb. thrust variable speed. They are carried in my lock box in the truck box. I mainly fly fish for trout.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #12
Dui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10850
Thanks folks. Am looking at a front hitch to the vehicle and yakima back rack on the cab roof. Should have mentioned I have a jack rabbit roll cover which takes away the option of using the bed holes for a support system. thanks for the ideas.
Dui
Dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We have traveled with our two, 10' kayaks inside the Monty (2955 floor plan) Needless to say it is a little awkward but works very well for us. With the slides open it is no problem to get the kayaks in and out. We use two standalone kayak racks made by a company named Suspenz www.suspenz.com The kayaks are stacked on the racks and so far they do not move while traveling. When parked we store the racks underneath the 5er with a bicycle lock or inside if it's just the two of us.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote