Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Successful Onan Generator resolution

Thanks to the MOC for the input. Went to rig again today (located in mini-storage), prepared for anything and everything. The Onan 5.5 kW generator had been stopping immediately after stopping and giving a fault code that was described in another post. I had filled the propane tanks fully yesterday since some MOC members stated that in cold weather conditions, there could be rate of vaporization problems when the propane gets low. Went to the rig yesterday and the battery was dead, so today I lugged along old trusty (Honda 2000 generator) to start charging the batteries and hopefully get the Onan cranked up. Glad to report that all is well and I was able to get the Onan it's recommended monthly run. Battery is now in the garage on a trickle charger. One interesting thing that I discovered is that the battery in the rig was a cranking battery, which I guess is due to having to start the Onan. I will be supplementing the cranking battery with a deep cell house battery and isolator switch so that I can keep the cranking battery turned off until it is needed. I left the mini-storage in a happy state of mind knowing that the generator did not need service. Thanks again for whoever clued me in on the propane issue.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yeaaaa! Glad that is checked off your list.
Wow it is beautiful here, shirt-sleeves, hope you and the other MOC Peeps have good weather as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sixty degrees here Ozz (WV), makes work on anything a lot more pleasurable!! It was good to get out and do something (besides remodeling the laundry room - DW honey-do)!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote