Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
has anybody done this

Some of you might remember I posted a couple times about a really bad condensation problem. Under warranty dealer tried to fix it, outcome was about 50% better. So after last years camping called dealer to have it looked at again. Dealer said at this point keystone needed to be involved. Keystone said the dealer will look at it then they will decide if they will help with the fix. I talked to the dealer and they weren't very interested in the job.

So has anybody ever remover any ceiling panels? I'm looking at removing 2 or 3 panels. It looks like I'll need to cut the panel inside the front edge of the cabinet to remove.

Any info would be a great help, even if it's don't do it.

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A/C condensation from ducting? I would think it must be done to find and solve the problem. A good craftsman can fix the ceiling to look good, trim srips, like that.
I would have a 'fix it plan' before I cut the overhead.
I would also string some 12-2/gnd and video cable maybe some L.V. wires while it's apart, just for later possible Mods.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
OK, so what exactly did the dealer do that fixed it 50% ?

I'm not sure why you would cut the panel inside the cabinet? Which cabinet?

My take...first off, I'd spend some time with a moisture meter under different conditions to see if I could "document" a track or common denominator, i.e, a/c ducting (or do we already know this?) Secondly, I wouldn't hesitate to remove 2 or 3 panels...but I'd be prepared to replace these panels if necessary, and if your condensation problem is big enough and going on for some time you just might be replacing them. If ceiling panels are anything like the wall panel I just modified, you can plan on some destruction happening.

I'm with Ozz on everything he said too.

Keep us posted please !
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I have two panels that show the effects of water / moisture damage. They are right next to one another, one above the pantry by the steps and the one next to it by the refrigerator. Both panels have brown spot the size of peas were water dripped through and some other discoloring. Both times this happened we were in a very warm climate with zero rain. The panels appear to be one continuous piece from wall to wall. So it likes like I could cut the panel just behind the inside edge of the cabinet and slide it out, without removing the cabinets. The cut would be hidden from view. The dealer said they removed a panel???????? and fix a bad seam in the duct. They also taped all the ac vents so air couldn't get between the duct and the ceiling. This area were the condensation is is close to the high point of the ceiling. As far as the different conditions, it only happens in very warm conditions with the ac running 24/7. (FLA and SC)
Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
So, have you considered contacting GS Action Line for assistance? I'm thinking someone should step up to the plate.

As far as pulling the panels, I'll do most anything on ours. But, I like for it to go back as original. That cut in the cabinet would worry me. But, maybe I worry about things too much!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
take everything out of the cabinets .then undo the cabinets .they are screwed to the walls .the cieling panels are only brad nailed to the rafters like paneling in a house.with a pra bar you should be able to pull the cieling panels down in one piece.the panels will pull through the little brads.then clean the panels with mold cleaner.you should be able to reuse the panels once you find the problem.just make sure you remove all the brads that are still in the rafters before you put the panels back up.then just chaulk the little holes.the dealers have the caulking sticks to match the ceiling.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Swanny; If you have a vent fan in the kit above the island pull that out from inside. we have the same units 3465SA and you can look both ways in the trusses and then see where the water is coming from. I had my fan out already so I have been up there. I think 1 of the joints in the duct work is not sealed and water is running to a low point of the duct. Also does the AC run water out when running , If the tube is blocked by bee's MUD DAUBERS the water is all going in the vent pipe.If you take out a ceiling panel you can take down the molding on the ceiling and cut it tite to the wall. I have had all my uppeer cabinets out already as I replace the microwave with a real unit fron best buy so had to redo the upper sections. I would try to take the ceiling down from the kit table side as the cab would not be in the way.sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
So the cabinets aren't that hard to remove? I haven't looked yet to see what it takes. The brads in the seams do they anchor in to a wooden strip or through the metal trusses? The ac water does run over the roof and off the trailer. Even if it wasn't all going out that way the water would need to run uphill to get to the problem area. Thanks for all the replies, please keep all the ideas and thoughts coming. Everything helps.

kevin
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Kevin I replaced my ceiling strips with oak the white ones were falling down. the strips are shot up to the metal trusse with a air gun but I think they are glued also I could see a little hanging out of the joint when I took down the old strips.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm siding with thor's thoughts. I'd take the cabinet down because the ceiling panels go full width with their seams along the roof trusses. If you saw around the cabinet, I'd imagine you're going to be hard pressed to fabricate something to secure that part of the sheeting back in place to keep it from flopping and bowing dependent on humidity and air temps.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Swanny;;Your cabinets go up to the ceiling over the freg and pantry with a mlding around them . take down the mlding and cut the ceiling with a rock knief as it is only 1/8 thick so it will cut easy , The ceiling had to be put up after the trusses I think or do they drop the trusses with the ceiling attached all at once. You mite still have to cut both ends;;;sailer PS if you want to replace your micro I have doors for your unit and ask I will tell you how ;;;;sailer
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
thanks everybody. waiting for some good (warm) weather. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

kevin
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Swanny;; I think you have to PM OZZ to get a handle on the condonscation in the duct work, where it coming from, I think you have a hole in the duct some place or its not sealed properly;;sailer
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

Swanny;;Your cabinets go up to the ceiling over the freg and pantry with a mlding around them . take down the mlding and cut the ceiling with a rock knief as it is only 1/8 thick so it will cut easy , The ceiling had to be put up after the trusses I think or do they drop the trusses with the ceiling attached all at once. You mite still have to cut both ends;;;sailer PS if you want to replace your micro I have doors for your unit and ask I will tell you how ;;;;sailer
That scenario gets my vote.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote