Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Integrated trailer brake control in the new truck

Can anyone provide me with any real world experience or additional information? From what I understand, these actually work with a pressure signal from the master cylinder that is proportional to pedal pressure, verses inertial sensing like my old prodigy. I'm not sure but I think they also (just sort of) function as an ABS system for the trailer if the proper gain setting is used. On my test run to set the gain I set it by manually applying trailer brakes to lock up at somewhere around 25 mph, but I got to thinking that maybe that isn't correct with these systems.

Would apprecuate your thoughts...Thanks

hydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I set our Sierra at a gain of 0.5, which felt right, then barely got stopped in a surprise situation on a highway at about 80km/h or 50mph. So, I replaced the Monty brakes with the forward self-adjusting type (with xnavydiver's help). Now, I've increased the gain to 0.8 and, although she's tetchy at low speeds in towns, she stops great on the highway.
There's no science in that answer, but it works for me.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Thanks for the info and heads up about the E stop. I'll go for the 8 setting and see what it does. I originally set it at 7 which felt pretty good but more brakes is always better than less. Those self adjusters sure are tempting.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Glad to see this discussion. I've not used the brake controller yet. Guess I'll see how it works this summer if we have a hurricane.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
One thing that was very noticeable to me was the lack of jerking and grabbing at low speeds like my old Prodigy. I've just done a very short test run to date but in a few weeks we're going to hit the highway. There are several miles of straight, flat, two lane, where you can see for miles and little to no traffic. I'll put it to the test for sure just to ease my concerns.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
I tow a travel trailer (7500Lbs) with a F350 V10 Crew Cab 8' bed. Love love love the truck and its integrated brake controller. I do have it set on #9 (range 1-10 I think). But its smooth and I feel confident braking gently or hard. Significantly better (IMHO) than after-market brake controllers.
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don't know exactly how it works, but the integrated controller on my '07 F350 works great. Mine is set at 9.0. Puts a lot of braking power on the trailer at that setting without locking the wheels. Have had to make a couple very quick stops and truck and trailer stopped quickly with no problems.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the integrated brake controllers in our 2005 Ford and loved it. They work off the computer, not brake line pressure. The computer totally controlled trailer braking to match the truck braking, or at least the signals being sent. It was totally smooth braking. Best I've ever used. I'd bet the builtins in the new GM's and Dodge's work the same way as the Ford.

Dave (KathyandDave), are you using one of the older controllers? What you describe about touchy in town when set high for highway use sounds like the older ocntrollers we used to use before getting a Prodigy or builtin controller. Those older ones also functioned differently when the brakes were cold than they did once they warmed up. Maybe some older brands were better but the ones I used had those problems. When I went to the Prodigy all those problems went away. My current controller is a Tekonsha P3, which is a Prodigy with some additional features (that I really don't need). But the builtin was the best I ever used.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I have my built in set at 6.0. The manual said to pull up to about 25 mph, then manually set the trailer brake, and if it locked the wheels, that was where to leave it. So far I have not had any trouble stopping, but also have not had any emergency stopping. With my Big Sky being a tad heavy, am I OK following the book?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Walt, that procedure works for me on my '06 Ford with IBC and I verify proper operation at the start of every trip.

The only problem I have had is a "trailer fault" after driving in the rain for a while, but the brakes seemed to work anyway. After getting home I did not find anything wrong and subsequent trips (in dry weather) have not shown any problem. I don't blame the controller, but appreciate it reported a possible problem.

I posted this issue and several others implied the wet conditions may be the cause, since the others causes (bad brakes, wires or magnets) were not the case.

I do think the IBC works pretty good. I won't get another truck that does not have it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Art, thanks for the feedback. I have had no issues YET, so I think I'm on the right track.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Steve. we have the integrated controller in the Sierra. Maybe I'll knock it down a point and see how we do.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
jamjrks
Established Member

M.O.C. #7344
My 08 Silverado 3500HD has the factory integrated brake controller. For both my former 2007 Montana, and my current 2011 Montana, when setting the gain and manually applying the trailer brakes at 25 mph, I have not been able to lock up the trailer brakes. I can feel the braking power, but no lockup even at maximum gain. Should I be able to get lockup or is there a problem with my brake controller?
jamjrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
It's been a while back but mine will only lock up on gravel...not on the pavement. With a setting of 8, I don't feel like the trailer is pushing me at all when I get on the brakes hard. Thank goodness that has only been on very rare occasions.

Walt
Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Also, don't forget to test the brake setting periodically too. It will need adjusting for load changes, etc.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
May be a Montana thing cause my old 5er if I manually set the brakes they would lock up if adjusted on full gain. The Montana won't lock up unless it's on loose gravel or ice. Not sure why, just had the brakes gone over and adjusted and they do stop the trailer but won't lock up. I don't have intergrated controller but I do have to set the gain higher for the Montana then the old one.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
jamjrks
Established Member

M.O.C. #7344
Thanks for the feedback on my brake lock up inquiry. I feel better now. Also, spoke with the service manager at Four Seasons RV Acres in Abiline, KS who also indicated that the absence of trailer brake lockup was normal with the integrated controller.
jamjrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Lock up on ice!!! Yikes!!! Count me out on that one.....
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote